• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jussie Smollett Hate Crime

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
*Update* They have found two persons of interest but no video capturing the actual assault, but sadly hundreds of hours of footage were reviewed but nothing capturing the attack.

To give those of you unaware of the Jussie Smollett case here is the following from Abc7:

At about 2 a.m. Tuesday, Smollett, 36, reported he was walking alone in the 300-block of East North Water Street when two people he didn't know started yelling racial and homophobic slurs at him, police said. He told Chicago police that the attackers yelled "MAGA country," Guglielmi said.

The article states later that "Smollet told police the attackers struck him in the face with their hands and poured a chemical on him. He told police one of the individuals wrapped a rope around his neck during the attack before they both ran away.

When Smollett contacted police at about 2:42 a.m. he was still wearing the rope around his neck, Guglielmi said. Chicago police plan to analyze the rope as part of their investigation. The chemical substance is believed to be bleach, but police had not independently tested his sweatshirt as of Tuesday afternoon.

Authorities are looking for any evidence or video from the area between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m., as well as anyone who was near there at the time of the attack.

Smollett was able to make it to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Prior to the attack on Jan. 22, Smollett had received a letter threat sent to the FOX studio in Chicago which had threatening language and was laced with powdery substance, likely Tylenol.

The FBI is investigating that threat.

The actor confirmed to CNN's Don Lemon over the phone that the attack took place. Smollett said he fought back, and is shaken and angry that something like this could happen.

In "Empire," Smollett plays Jamal Lyon, who is gay. In real life, Smollett has also come out as gay. He has been on the FOX show since 2015."

Photos show potential persons of interest in 'Empire' actor attack, police say

Stanyon

WWMRD?
"Confirmed to CNN's Don Lemon"
Something about this just doesn't add up, we shall see.

Are there any pictures of his injuries?

Why has it been widely reported that the alleged attackers yelled "This is MAGA country" when Chicago police say "There is no report of that being said" ?

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Since there is no reason to doubt that the attack happened, and there is evidence that it did happen, there is no reason to doubt the victim's account of it, including the MAGA reference. But, of course, Trump supporters will inevitably find an excuse to deny and reject the reality of it. It's what they do.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
there is no reason to doubt the victim's account of it, including the MAGA reference.

Chicago police say there was no report of the MAGA reference and don't know why it was included in media reports. Could it be that controversy sells and that some media groups are willing to peddle it regardless of what social impact it might have?

Nous

Premium Member
Chicago police say there was no report of the MAGA reference and don't know why it was included in media reports.
Where did you get this -- that the MAGA reference was not included in any police report and that police don't know why it was included in media reports?

This article says Smollett told police about the MAGA statement in the follow-up interview, and that it was included in the supplemental report:
Jussie Smollett Told Police His Attackers Yelled 'MAGA Country' During Assault | HuffPost

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Where did you get this -- that the MAGA reference was not included in any police report and that police don't know why it was included in media reports?

This article says Smollett told police about the MAGA statement in the follow-up interview, and that it was included in the supplemental report:
Jussie Smollett Told Police His Attackers Yelled 'MAGA Country' During Assault | HuffPost
This sort of thing is why I put little stock in such breathless "breaking news" reports, until there's been time for the salient information to get out.
Things might be exactly as they appear, but that's rare.
Tom

Nous

Premium Member
he has no sources, its just made up BS right wing fake news.

This sort of thing is why I put little stock in such breathless "breaking news" reports, until there's been time for the salient information to get out.
Things might be exactly as they appear, but that's rare.
Tom

Well, Real Clear Politics, a source I have considered unbiased and somewhat reliable, calls into question the whole incident, and puts into quotes a comment from CPD.
Articles | RealClearPolitics

At this point I feel unsure about everything.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
your link has absolutely nothing about the story, you're going to have to try much harder than that!!

Stanyon

WWMRD?

A supplemental report, I imagine this was after he talked to CNN's Don Lemon, a guy who is making a career out of anti-Trump shtick.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is delusional posting typical for Trumpsters!
Irony_Meter.gif

Nous

Premium Member
A supplemental report, I imagine this was after he talked to CNN's Don Lemon, a guy who is making a career out of anti-Trump shtick.
At this point, I think everyone needs to forego all speculations on this story.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
he has no sources, its just made up BS right wing fake news.

The two suspects in the surveillance footage have been caught, say what you want about White affirmation activists but those are some really good disguises:
bca8b66726872671a675eed8782d5ab8--worst-hairstyles-short-natural-hairstyles.jpg

demarko_marshalls.jpg

(for entertainment purposes only)

Yerda

Veteran Member
The two suspects in the surveillance footage have been caught, say what you want about White affirmation activists but those are some really good disguises:
bca8b66726872671a675eed8782d5ab8--worst-hairstyles-short-natural-hairstyles.jpg
I know you're making fun, but that hair should get you the jail.

2 years minimum.

ecco

Veteran Member
Since there is no reason to doubt that the attack happened, and there is evidence that it did happen, there is no reason to doubt the victim's account of it, including the MAGA reference.

I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm not fan of anyone who wears a Red MAGA hat.

That being said, I had serious doubts about this incident when I first heard it.

Smollett shows no signs of a serious attack other than a small cut. There are no signs of skin damage from the bleach that was ostensibly used.

The thing that sent my skeptometer into the red was that 45 minutes after the alleged attack he still had the rope around his neck. Then, it was reported, that he was on the phone with his director during the attack.

If this was a carefully planned out attack, the attackers would have had to know where he was going to be that evening and that he would be leaving alone. That way, they would have been able to have bleach and rope with them for the attack.