• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jupiter does not orbit the sun

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Cool. I wondered what I would find when I clicked on this thread and I found a fun bit of science. YES!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Yes, I've known about it since I was young and learned about gravity and the solar system. I don't think most people have heard about it, though.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Barycenter of Earth and Moon, via wikipedia (fun fact about Earth and Moon in last line)

In astronomy, the barycenter (or barycentre; from Ancient Greek βαρύς (barús) 'heavy', and κέντρον (kéntron) 'center')[1] is the center of mass of two or more bodies that orbit one another and is the point about which the bodies orbit. A barycenter is a dynamical point, not a physical object. It is an important concept in fields such as astronomy and astrophysics. The distance from a body's center of mass to the barycenter can be calculated as a two-body problem.

If one of the two orbiting bodies is much more massive than the other and the bodies are relatively close to one another, the barycenter will typically be located within the more massive object. In this case, rather than the two bodies appearing to orbit a point between them, the less massive body will appear to orbit about the more massive body, while the more massive body might be observed to wobble slightly. This is the case for

the Earth–Moon system, whose barycenter is located on average 4,671 km (2,902 mi) from Earth's center, which is 75% of Earth's radius of 6,378 km (3,963 mi).

Suave

Simulated character
Instead, they both orbit a shared center of gravity. Based on Jupiter's mass, I figure the center of gravity between Jupiter and Sol lies 1.07 solar radii from the sun's center.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, of course Jupiter doesn't orbit. It jumps. That's why they call it Jumping Jupiter.

383f22e5-0e50-4f57-ab2d-a2a0d9303986_text.gif

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So, Jupiter has a mass that is 1/1000 that of the sun. So the center of mass of the two is going to be 1/1000 of the distance between the two. That turns out to be larger than the radius of the sun, so the center of mass is outside of the sun.

It is a combination of the relative masses and the distance between them that determines where the center of mass is.

So, yes, Jupiter is the most massive of the planets, but it is still dwarfed by the mass of the sun.

We Never Know

No Slack
So, Jupiter has a mass that is 1/1000 that of the sun. So the center of mass of the two is going to be 1/1000 of the distance between the two. That turns out to be larger than the radius of the sun, so the center of mass is outside of the sun.

It is a combination of the relative masses and the distance between them that determines where the center of mass is.

So, yes, Jupiter is the most massive of the planets, but it is still dwarfed by the mass of the sun.

Yes Jupiter is much smaller than the sun but it is also more than twice as massive as all the other planets combined.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes Jupiter is much smaller than the sun but it is also more than twice as massive as all the other planets combined.

Indeed. And the sun is a thousand times more massive than that.

So, more than 99.8% of the mass of our solar system (planets, asteroids, comets, everything) is in the sun.

Neat fact: about 2000 earths would fit inside of Jupiter.

We Never Know

No Slack

So, more than 99.8% of the mass of our solar system (planets, asteroids, comets, everything) is in the sun.

Dark matter has mass. Dark matter is said/thought in overall gravitational force of normal matter combined with dark matter in our solar system, about 45% of this force is from dark matter and 55% is from normal.

So does the sun really make up 99.8% of the mass of everything in our solar system?

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well, if you take the numbers out to the last possible decimal point, no massive body would strictly orbit another -- they would each orbit a centre of gravity between the two. In the case of the Sun and Earth, that point is so close to the centre of the Sun it makes no nevermind. In the case of Jupiter, I suspect (I haven't done the math) that the gravitational centre would still be somewhere inside the Sun's mass -- simply because Jupiter is so far away, and gravity is weakened by the distance (squared) between the two bodies.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Neat fact: about 2000 earths would fit inside of Jupiter.
And about a thousand Jupiter's would fit into the sun.

:0]

Heyo

Veteran Member
In the case of Jupiter, I suspect (I haven't done the math) that the gravitational centre would still be somewhere inside the Sun's mass -- simply because Jupiter is so far away, and gravity is weakened by the distance (squared) between the two bodies.
As @Polymath257 pointed out, the barycentre is between the massive bodies at a distance relative to their masses. I.e. the greater the distance the farther the barycentre is from the centre of the sun.
Distance Sun - Jupiter: ~ 780 * 10⁹ m
Radius Sun: 0.7 * 10⁹ m
The barycentre is about 1/1000 of the distance away from the centre of the sun, i.e. 0.78 * 10⁹ m.
(If the distance were greater, the barycentre would be even further out.)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Dark matter has mass. Dark matter is said/thought in overall gravitational force of normal matter combined with dark matter in our solar system, about 45% of this force is from dark matter and 55% is from normal.

So does the sun really make up 99.8% of the mass of everything in our solar system?
How do you want to define the Solar System? If you only go out to Pluto, then yes. If you use the idea that the edge of solar sysem is 100,000 AU out then maybe no.