• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juneteenth

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Anybody else do Juneteenth stuff?
I usually do, but this year it's complicated. I've got family things going on, and the weather is uncooperative.
Tom

sooda

Veteran Member
I usually do, but this year it's complicated. I've got family things going on, and the weather is uncooperative.
Tom

Juneteenth, also known as Juneteenth Independence Day or Freedom Day, is an American holiday that commemorates the June 19, 1865, announcement of the abolition of slavery in the U.S. state of Texas, and more generally the emancipation of enslaved African Americans throughout the former Confederate States of America.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Most freed slaves chose to remain on the plantations they worked.
Which is strange, because upon their defeat the south welcomed the newly freed slaves into their society with open arms as equals and generously offered a wide selection of amazing opportunities to their new friends. The fact that most of them had no money or education matter not, of course.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The fact that most of them had no money or education matter not, of course.

That could be said of many poor white southerners at the time too. Slave owners actually made up a very small percentage of society as most people were not wealthy or landed enough to own them.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
And how does that excuse slavery?

It was not meant to excuse slavery, It was a statement of fact. If you took a statement of fact as something else that falls squarely on you. Here's another fact, had it not been for a majority of whites opposing slavery we would have seen it's practice carry on far later, also many of those who opposed slavery were bible thumpers.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
It was not meant to excuse slavery, It was a statement of fact. If you took a statement of fact as something else that falls squarely on you. Here's another fact, had it not been for a majority of whites opposing slavery we would have seen it's practice carry on far later, also many of those who opposed slavery were bible thumpers.
Are you saying these people actually liked slavery and that is why the stayed?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Tom

Well I learned something new today. I've never heard about Juneteenth in my whole life. Its definitely cause for celebration! I found a short video for people who didn't understand as I did.