• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Julian Assange Arrested in London

ecco

Veteran Member
Wikileaks released material incriminating Ecuador's president Lenin Moreno for corruption and they (Ecuador) started making military deals with the US. It's not surprising that Trump's new allies would turn Assange in. He's both a threat to the hand that fed him and a pawn for better deals. Lenin Moreno's support has also dipped after the corruption was revealed, he might sacrifice the pawn for a better future in the US after his term is done or he has to flee his country...

Ecuador says it is launching security effort with US

Wait! What?

• Wikileaks founder and public face has been living in the Ecuadorian embassy for seven years.
  • Wikileaks released material incriminating Ecuador's president Lenin Moreno for corruption.

It seems to me that someone in Wikileaks is orchestrating a coup to get rid of Assange.

If not, why would you be so stupid as to literally bite the hand that feeds you?

Jumi

Wait! What?

• Wikileaks founder and public face has been living in the Ecuadorian embassy for seven years.
  • Wikileaks released material incriminating Ecuador's president Lenin Moreno for corruption.

It seems to me that someone in Wikileaks is orchestrating a coup to get rid of Assange.

If not, why would you be so stupid as to literally bite the hand that feeds you?
You're basically right that it's what the current situation looks like, but I think the Lenin Moreno has been trying to get rid of him for a long time so it's not quite as simple. You can only look at news headlines, what kind of a picture Ecuador has been trying to sell of him. It's like they've been looking for an excuse... Is it because he wants to align more directly with the US or because of his corruption?

While some medias are celebrating his capture, other media report with less bias...

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/...sange-arrested-for-exposing-corruption-2019-4

See the difference?

Notanumber

A Free Man
These people make some very good points.

Follow the Money.

Whistle blowing has changed and not for the better since the Watergate days.

It seems this is bigger than Trump and he said he was going to drain the swamp.

ecco

Veteran Member
You're basically right that it's what the current situation looks like, but I think the Lenin Moreno has been trying to get rid of him for a long time so it's not quite as simple. You can only look at news headlines, what kind of a picture Ecuador has been trying to sell of him. It's like they've been looking for an excuse... Is it because he wants to align more directly with the US or because of his corruption?

While some medias are celebrating his capture, other media report with less bias...

This simmering political clash may have led to Julian Assange's ouster from Ecuador's embassy

See the difference?
Interesting article. But, what differences?

Jumi

Interesting article. But, what differences?
There was a lot of reporting focusing on smearing him for being a stooge for GOP or Russia and the background was presented without the details about what has been going on Ecuador. The recent alliance of Ecuador with Trump admin USA against their traditional allies Venezuela. Getting Assange is a victory for him, not a loss... he got the mileage out of a neutral actor who is now more of a threat.

In reporting insufficient detail in background and "leaving it to the readers" is a bias in itself. It's quite common in bad or deliberately biased repoting. If you don't see the difference then you usually don't know about the thing in itself. I often see bias in reporting of my country in foreign medias, it usually follows ideologicals lines...

ecco

Veteran Member
There was a lot of reporting focusing on smearing him for being a stooge for GOP or Russia and the background was presented without the details about what has been going on Ecuador. The recent alliance of Ecuador with Trump admin USA against their traditional allies Venezuela. Getting Assange is a victory for him, not a loss... he got the mileage out of a neutral actor who is now more of a threat.

In reporting insufficient detail in background and "leaving it to the readers" is a bias in itself. It's quite common in bad or deliberately biased repoting. If you don't see the difference then you usually don't know about the thing in itself. I often see bias in reporting of my country in foreign medias, it usually follows ideologicals lines...
OK. I hadn't gotten very much of the backstory you are referring to. I've learned more about Assange and his relationship to Ecuador from your posts and links than I knew in the past.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I'm not sure that the DNC email leak contributed much to the result.

Given that the election was decided by some 137,000?? votes, I'm sure it made that much of a difference.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Crooked Hillary says it is not about punishing journalism but others say it is a threat to the freedom of the press.

If there were any justice, she would not be walking the streets.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If he goes anywhere it should be to Sweden to face the rape charges. The US indictment looks like a blatant attempt to silence him for what amounts to journalistic practice.
I've also suspected that Sweden invented the charges at the behest of Ameristan.
A crime notorious for lack of physical evidence, & so dependent on he-said-she-said
is suspicious. Our government has given ample reason to deserve my cynicism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Crooked Hillary says it is not about punishing journalism but others say it is a threat to the freedom of the press.

If there were any justice, she would not be walking the streets.
I'd prefer that she be out streetwalking instead of attacking whistleblowers.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Further to my post #83, this man understands the significance of the arrest of Julian Assange.

(2 minutes from the start)

He says Assange faces one charge, an indictment with one count in the United States that he conspired with Chelsea Manning to hide her identity so that she might freely communicate the truth about what the USA was doing in Iraq.

We are on slippery slope of that there is no doubt.

The truth hurts but I would rather that than be treated like a mushroom.

ecco

Veteran Member
What the heck is WikiLeaks? I don't understand all the fuss.
Learn all about it just 26 seconds.