• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judgment

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No justification required. It is impossible to not make judgements.

We have no more choice in whether we make judgements than we have in whether or not we eat, sleep and breathe..

"Choice" is relative to one's perspective and expectations. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My ego plays no role in it.

I'd much rather not have to call someone out. If people would just act right they wouldn't need to get checked. :shrug:

Whose is it to determine what is "right?" Can this be done objectively?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
This thread was inspired by a comment was made by a member here that some people just need to be stood up to, but I, personally, have spend a great deal of time contemplating judgment and its practical and moral value. I'm interested in others' perspective on this topic.

For many, especially those of the Abrahamic faiths, judgment is a key tenet in their faith or worldview, with God ultimately passing judgment on all.

At what point is one justified to pass judgment on another for their religion, worldview, or actions?

What is the basis or foundation of such judgment?

At what point is one justified in "standing up" to another? Is it justified even when the actions of another have no impact on the person passing judgment?

In your opinion, what are the implications, positive or negative, of judgment?

If a person is being cruel to another then it is my opinion that to turn a blind eye is being complicit in the cruelty especially if you are in a position to stop or prevent it.

But judging others i believe is wrong because we have enough shortcomings of our own to judge and we shouldn’t go around creating conflict with others by judging them.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Judgement in the sense of the Abrahamic religions is the judgment of ones soul, by God. For a human to judge a person soul to heaven or hell, this is sin.

I don't care if someone agrees with my reasoning of an a-hole being an a-hole or not. If someone is being an a-hole I have no problems telling them "hey, a-hole, knock it off".

The practical purpose is to call them out. A lot of the times, people are being a-holes and they don't even realize it. So when you stop em and check em. There is a small change they might realize it themselves then snap out of it. Though this rarely happens anymore. Peoples egos rule now, so there is very little self reflection/discipline/responsibility anymore.

if god is love; then everything is judged against love.

love does no harm and love allow no harm to perpetuate.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
This thread was inspired by a comment was made by a member here that some people just need to be stood up to, but I, personally, have spend a great deal of time contemplating judgment and its practical and moral value. I'm interested in others' perspective on this topic.

For many, especially those of the Abrahamic faiths, judgment is a key tenet in their faith or worldview, with God ultimately passing judgment on all.

At what point is one justified to pass judgment on another for their religion, worldview, or actions?

At what point is one justified in "standing up" to another? Is it justified even when the actions of another have no impact on the person passing judgment?

One should only pass judgement if theri actions impact you, your dependents or you are asked to by the parties involved

joe1776

If I don't first limit the scope of my response, it won't make much sense because I can't make a statement that will apply equally to judgments about "religions, worldviews and actions" as noted in the OP. They are three very different categories.

As to actions which involve moral judgments, the foundation is conscience -- moral intuition -- which I think is universal (cross-cultural). In other words, if we consider the facts of a killing in which a man kills another in a clear case of self-defense. The killing would be found justifiable in every culture. However, if the same facts involved a woman who killed her husband, the woman would not get a fair trial in some cultures because of bias against the equality of women..

So, the world-wide moral standard for judgment is the majority vote of the conscience of an unbiased jury done case by specific case. Unlike opinions on art, music or literature, moral judgments are not subjective as many believe. Judged case-by-case, an act is either justified or immoral.

QuestioningMind

At any point. In fact, it's virtually impossible to avoid. Any time we are introduced to a new individual or idea we all automatically make comparisons to this new something to old somethings that we're familiar with. If you see a person for the first time you automatically judge if they are male or female, what their approximate age might be, perhaps what their occupation is, based upon how they are dressed. We also judge weather they look like other people we know

It is hardwired into our brains. We are constantly comparing and contrasting current experiences with past experiences. Any new experience is compared to past experience in order to make a judgement concerning how safe/desirable it might be. For instance, if you have had experiences in the past were loud shouting individuals end up getting violent, if you see a loud shouting individual it's only natural for you judge it prudent to try and avoid them.

If by 'standing up' you mean take action against, that would be when a person's actions negatively effect the rights and welfare of other people. If there actions have no impact on others, then there is no justification for 'taking action' against them.

Making judgments is simply a part of being a human being. It's how we determine what's positive and negative in the world. Being judgmental becomes negative when a person 'takes action against' another person, when that other person's action have no direct negative effect on anyone else.

Vee

Premium Member

We shouldn't judge each other, but unfortunately many people do. It's human nature to think we know everything, when in fact sometimes we know nothing at all.
What we should have is more empathy and kindness. Judgement belongs to God, not to us.

I'm not sure what you mean by standing up. If I know someone is doing something harmful to others (even if not necessarily to me) I might feel obliged to do something about it, but other than that, it's not my place to judge. I might tell them what I think but what they do is up to them.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Who said anything about sin?

How is judgment exclusively about another going to hell or not? In my experience, my own judgment can place me in hell.

By what objective foundation are you judging what an ******* is? If you think one is an *******, should everyone consider this person as an *******?

What is the practical purpose in calling an ******* an *******?
I should have thought that was obvious. Once you have decided so and so is an *******, certain actions follow. You avoid them, you confront them, you encourage others to oppose them or watch out for them, and so forth, depending on the situation.

As for the criteria, they are various, of course. The ****** may be merely stubbornly stupid or ignorant, or they may may be malicious, or dishonest, or violent, or manipulative or.....etc etc.

I'm not sure where you are going with this line of enquiry, to be honest. Perhaps I am missing your point.

PureX

Veteran Member
Judgment is mostly useless, except to the ego.

Discernment is a far more important asset to cultivate. Spotting the turds is far more important and useful than judging them. :)

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Like you identifying what is "right" was so susbstanced and nuanced.

And an intentionally demeaning pet name is sure not a sign of ego. Not at all.

Ah ha, but had his ego been kept in check to begin with I wouldn't have to check it for him. I didn't confront him, he took it upon himself to be show that ego.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
We all pass judgement all the time; life is about judging the situation... It is when people use religion as a way to condemn another it oversteps certain lines.

Explaining someone's religious texts from one's own judgement is Satsang (conversation seeking truth), and can lead to enlightenment...

There are many judgements on narratives observed by each of us, thus all are interesting; only the Source of our reality sees the whole.
If we see a blindman about to fall in a pit, do we not make an effort to help them; so personally think if we are clear enough to show evidence, not condemn another, and lead to further comprehension, this is good...

Yet on observing my 6 year old nephew debate every point because "he knows", it is very apparent many people are religiously children, where they've not been told off for getting things wrong, that leads to calamity to others...

So in other words, WW3 is soon between Israel (Christian/Zionist) and Iran (Muslims/Everyone else); so personally feel that is reason to stand up, and try correcting this situation for the sake of our personal survival.

In my opinion. :innocent: