• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judgment

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread was inspired by a comment was made by a member here that some people just need to be stood up to, but I, personally, have spend a great deal of time contemplating judgment and its practical and moral value. I'm interested in others' perspective on this topic.

For many, especially those of the Abrahamic faiths, judgment is a key tenet in their faith or worldview, with God ultimately passing judgment on all.

At what point is one justified to pass judgment on another for their religion, worldview, or actions?

What is the basis or foundation of such judgment?

At what point is one justified in "standing up" to another? Is it justified even when the actions of another have no impact on the person passing judgment?

In your opinion, what are the implications, positive or negative, of judgment?

Phaedrus

God's Judgment is a concept born of man's inability to control how others live and enact laws to keep those people in line. It is the same idea as the writer killing off his enemy in his written works because he cannot do it in real life.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Judgement is only about judging should someone go to hell or not.

Has nothing to so with calling someone who is being an a-hole, an a-hole. I can call a-holes an a-hole all day and this isn't a sin.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
God's Judgment is a concept born of man's inability to control how others live and enact laws to keep those people in line. It is the same idea as the writer killing off his enemy in his written works because he cannot do it in real life.
Or maybe it's because millions of people actually believe in Divine Judgement, instead of this atheist myth that religion is just about controlling people?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

While I appreciate the contribution, did you intend on addressing any of the questions in the OP?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Judgement is only about judging should someone go to hell or not.

Has nothing to so with calling someone who is being an a-hole, an a-hole. I can call a-holes an a-hole all day and this isn't a sin.

Who said anything about sin?

How is judgment exclusively about another going to hell or not? In my experience, my own judgment can place me in hell.

By what objective foundation are you judging what an ******* is? If you think one is an *******, should everyone consider this person as an *******?

What is the practical purpose in calling an ******* an *******?

Last edited:

Phaedrus

While I appreciate the contribution, did you intend on addressing any of the questions in the OP?

I have never been fond of of that path when I provide a response. Which is not to state that I have not answered your questions. It simply means that my answers were not the ones for which you were expecting or to which you agree.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have never been fond of of that path when I provide a response. Which is not to state that I have not answered your questions. It simply means that my answers were not the ones for which you were expecting or to which you agree.

Thanks. I've made a note of this for future reference. :)

whirlingmerc

This thread was inspired by a comment was made by a member here that some people just need to be stood up to, but I, personally, have spend a great deal of time contemplating judgment and its practical and moral value. I'm interested in others' perspective on this topic.

For many, especially those of the Abrahamic faiths, judgment is a key tenet in their faith or worldview, with God ultimately passing judgment on all.

At what point is one justified to pass judgment on another for their religion, worldview, or actions?

At what point is one justified in "standing up" to another? Is it justified even when the actions of another have no impact on the person passing judgment?

Christians are called to discernment and as far as doctrine to 'speak the truth in love'

Saying there is mercy offered in the gospel is fine and commanded by the Bible.
Condemning people with unloving motive is not.
Saying you're better than they is not.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, I suppose one can look at it any number of ways. To me, a judgment is just someone's opinion, and everyone's entitled to one.

So, legally, our First Amendment guarantees the right of everyone to judge anyone or anything they want, regardless of whether they have a basis in doing so or not. (Within reason, of course, since someone can go too far and commit libel or slander if they're not careful.)

Apart from that, on a more abstract level, if someone passes judgment on another, the judged person might ask "Who are you to judge me?" The implication is that someone needs to be on a higher moral plane in order to judge. In other words, "he who is without sin may cast the first stone."

Does the pot have the moral standing to call the kettle black? It would still be a truthful statement, yet one might wonder why one is bringing it up in the first place. Why judge anyone?

That may be what is required on the question of "judgment." That is, if someone wants their judgments to be taken seriously, they would need to demonstrate that it's something more meaningful than just one's opinion pulled out of one's backside.

They would need to provide evidence that the observations their judgment is based upon are true and accurate. They would need to cite some sort of justification for their judgment. Why is it important? Why do they think I need to hear about someone's opinion of somebody else? What impact does it (whatever it is that's being judged) have on me, society, or the world at large?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

justice is the ultimate form of love. unconditional love is not partial to a person because they may be our friend/enemy. loving those oppressed, marginalized, and disenfranchised is the ultimate form of love, they need our help alleviating their suffering. they need an advocate.

love judges all. there is no one above the law. the golden rule applies not to outward appearances but to action of service to self, or service to other, or all as self.

there is no greater love in all the world than that of a friend who saves their neighbor from harm.

judge with a righteous judgement, love with all your might.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Who said anything about sin?

How is judgment exclusively about another going to hell or not? In my experience, my own judgment can place me in hell.

By what objective foundation are you judging what an ******* is? If you think one is an *******, should everyone consider this person as an *******?

What is the practical purpose in calling an ******* an *******?

Judgement in the sense of the Abrahamic religions is the judgment of ones soul, by God. For a human to judge a person soul to heaven or hell, this is sin.

I don't care if someone agrees with my reasoning of an a-hole being an a-hole or not. If someone is being an a-hole I have no problems telling them "hey, a-hole, knock it off".

The practical purpose is to call them out. A lot of the times, people are being a-holes and they don't even realize it. So when you stop em and check em. There is a small change they might realize it themselves then snap out of it. Though this rarely happens anymore. Peoples egos rule now, so there is very little self reflection/discipline/responsibility anymore.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The practical purpose is to call them out. A lot of the times, people are being a-holes and they don't even realize it. So when you stop em and check em. There is a small change they might realize it themselves then snap out of it. Though this rarely happens anymore. Peoples egos rule now, so there is very little self reflection/discipline/responsibility anymore.

How does calling another out have any practical purpose for you other than to satiate your own ego?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

No justification required. It is impossible to not make judgements.
When we realise our judgements were wrong, we expand our view or become stupider and nastier.

We have no more choice in whether we make judgements than we have in whether or not we eat, sleep and breathe.

Am I right or am I wrong ?
You will judge that.

Enoch07

Premium Member
How does calling another out have any practical purpose for you other than to satiate your own ego?

My ego plays no role in it.

I'd much rather not have to call someone out. If people would just act right they wouldn't need to get checked. :shrug:

susanblange

When the Messiah comes, there will be three judgments by fire. The first is the Day of Vengeance, Isaiah 61:2, when all of the Messiah's enemies are cut off. Psalm 37:20, Psalm 97:3. The second is the Day of Judgment and the wicked are cut off. Isaiah 24:6. The last is the Day of Decision when the heathen are cut off. Joel 3:12-14. We are all judged by God when we die.