• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judgment or compassion?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings everyone.

I found this article that asks who we should listen to - can we ever learn valuable lessons from an addict/alcoholic ... ???

Here is a part -

I found myself reflecting back on the twelve step meetings I was required to sit in on as part of my medical training. Attending these meetings with active and recovering addicts touched me deeply. Before experiencing an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting as a young student, I had been taught by my parents and my church to judge addicts – at least that was my interpretation as a child. I thought addicts simply lacked willpower. I deemed them to be lazy, sloppy, even immoral. Addicts were people we should steer clear of and judge harshly. They weren’t as “good” as people who were able to stay sober. They were somehow lesser humans, and certainly, you couldn’t learn any spiritual lessons from a drunk or a drug addict.

Read the full article -

Will You Practice Judgment Or Compassion? | Wake Up World

All the best!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Judgement clouds understanding. That is not what we're taught as children in school. In fact, we're taught quite the opposite -- to make sound judgements is assumed to show superior understanding. But that is not correct, as Spinoza and many other thinkers knew quite well.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I found this article that asks who we should listen to - can we ever learn valuable lessons from an addict/alcoholic ... ???
Without reading it, I know I can learn valuable lessons from an addict

I found myself reflecting back on the twelve step meetings I was required to sit in on as part of my medical training. Attending these meetings with active and recovering addicts touched me deeply. Before experiencing an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting as a young student, I had been taught by my parents and my church to judge addicts – at least that was my interpretation as a child. I thought addicts simply lacked willpower. I deemed them to be lazy, sloppy, even immoral. Addicts were people we should steer clear of and judge harshly. They weren’t as “good” as people who were able to stay sober. They were somehow lesser humans, and certainly, you couldn’t learn any spiritual lessons from a drunk or a drug addict.
Oops. Must have been some eyeopener, when this man discovered the first of his addictions in the long row to follow