• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judas Iscariot Sinner or saint?

frangipani

Premium Member
Hi everyone, I have read two different interpretations of the Gospel according to Judas. One interpretation exalts him as the true disciple one with great understanding and insight. The other as the greatest sinner the true disciple of the Demiurge also with great understanding and insight, but rather tan serving Christ he is serving the Demiurge. I was just wondering what your thoughts on this are.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I wouldn't agree with either view. I'm not really sure why Judas did what he did. He may be in fact nothing more than a literary invention to represent the Jews. But if he did exist one motivation may have been to try to force Jesus to act as he thought the Messiah should.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Hi everyone, I have read two different interpretations of the Gospel according to Judas. One interpretation exalts him as the true disciple one with great understanding and insight. The other as the greatest sinner the true disciple of the Demiurge also with great understanding and insight, but rather tan serving Christ he is serving the Demiurge. I was just wondering what your thoughts on this are.

My understanding outside Christianity, :D is that he was Chosen as a disciple, and Chosen to be the one to enact the "betrayal" part of the Ancient Sacred Sacrifice play. Think the ancient Sacrifice of the Sacred King. Everyone has a part, and they are not evil for playing them.

roger1440

I do stuff
Can you provide links to these two interpretations? I only know of one.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I feel that if it all really happened, then he did his job well, without him the story of Christ would have never been.

frangipani

Premium Member
The Thirteenth Apostle by April DeConick and Marvin Meyer's view in his interview with Miguel Conner as recorded in Miguel Conner's book Voices of Gnosticism.

rusra02

Premium Member
The Bible clearly and accurately portrays Judas as a thief and Christ's betrayer. As such, he did Satan's bidding. (Matthew 27:3-5 and Luke 22:3. Also John 13:2.
The so-called Gospel of Judas is a spurious fiction.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Some one had to be instrumental in fulfilling the prophesy. Unfortunately Judas drew the short straw. One of the great injustices in this world, IMO, is that there are many Hispanic males named Jesus but I have yet to meet one named Judas.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
The Bible clearly and accurately portrays Judas as a thief and Christ's betrayer. As such, he did Satan's bidding. (Matthew 27:3-5 and Luke 22:3. Also John 13:2.
The so-called Gospel of Judas is a spurious fiction.
No way he acted in fulfillment of the scriptures and has Jesus's blessings. Jesus's death lead to salvation, how is that Satan's work.

rusra02

Premium Member
No way he acted in fulfillment of the scriptures and has Jesus's blessings. Jesus's death lead to salvation, how is that Satan's work.

The Bible and Jesus himself are quite clear about the fact that Judas wickedly betrayed God's Son. Jesus himself called Judas "my betrayer". ( Matthew 26:46) Judas's treachery was foretold but that does not excuse his evil conduct. (Acts 1:16-20)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Excellent thread, my congratulations.

I think that Jesus was not meant to be crucified; of course Judas betrayed him, and that's why he sinned. He did something awful for money. But then he repented, and that proves that there was good inside him.

But of course Judas is not the perpetrator here. Even if he played a key role in Jesus' capture, nobody forced Caiaphas and Pilate to execute Jesus.
In fact the real perpetrators are Caiaphas and Pilate; Pilate is worse than the other. Because he had the power to save an innocent man and didn't use it.

and above all they didn't repent.
Judas is certainly not a saint, but he repented.

I wouldn't agree with either view. I'm not really sure why Judas did what he did. He may be in fact nothing more than a literary invention to represent the Jews. But if he did exist one motivation may have been to try to force Jesus to act as he thought the Messiah should.

Judas was definitely real.That is why his 12th disciple position had to be filled in Acts 1:20-26. It was filled by Matthias.Judas was already on the road to badness.Jesus knew of Judas' wrong doings before hand.Jesus made it known that there was a slanderer amongst the 12.

The Bible does not discuss in detail the motives for his corrupt course, but an incident that occurred on Nisan 9, 33 C.E., five days before Jesus’ death, sheds light on the matter. At Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, Mary, Lazarus’ sister, anointed Jesus with perfumed oil worth 300 denarii, about a year’s wages for a laborer. (Mt 20:2) Judas strongly objected that the oil could have been sold and the money “given to the poor people.” Evidently other apostles merely assented to what seemed to be a valid point, but Jesus rebuked them. Judas’ real reason for objecting was that he cared for the money box and he “was a thief . . . and used to carry off the monies” put in the box. So Judas was a greedy, practicing thief.—Joh 12:2-7; Mt 26:6-12; Mr 14:3-8.

Judas — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Judas was at one time a good person and obeyed God and Jesus teachings.He became corrupt.He loved money and was a thief according to the holy scriptures.

I feel that if it all really happened, then he did his job well, without him the story of Christ would have never been.

If Judas would have resisted temptation, and satan, then it would have been another who betrayed Jesus.Since it was Judas who did this, now the name Judas is forever known as a name for betrayer.Just like the name Munson in the movie "Kingpin" means loser.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
So Judas was a greedy, practicing thief
If Jesus truly was God in the flesh, why would he then have chosen Judas as a disciple? Since if he truly was God he would have known that Judas was a thief.

Judas was nothing more than a literary vehicle to move the blame from the Romans onto the shoulders of the Jews.

If Jesus truly was God in the flesh, why would he then have chosen Judas as a disciple? Since if he truly was God he would have known that Judas was a thief.

Judas was nothing more than a literary vehicle to move the blame from the Romans onto the shoulders of the Jews.

Well first,Jesus was not God in the flesh.Second,Judas was a real person.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Judas was at one time a good person and obeyed God and Jesus teachings.He became corrupt.He loved money and was a thief according to the holy scriptures.
But Jesus knew this and selected and kept Judas specifically for the task, even giving him the order to go do it. Then He was around for weeks after and explained why Judas' actions were necessary for the Salvation of the human race to the Apostles. That Judas was a hero, even if he upset the Apostles at first.

Well, except that didn't happen. Judas was vilified anyway! Which I see as strong evidence that Jesus didn't actually Rise. Because the Apostles still believed that Judas betrayed them instead of having Saved them.
They did not know about God's Plan for Salvation. Which makes me ask, "So, who made up that Plan of Salvation story anyway", if the Apostles didn't know about it?

Tom

Judas was no hero.His actions were his own.This was set in motion before the last supper took place and Jesus dismissed him.Jesus called him a slanderer.Jesus also said, but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?” Luke 22:48

Luke 22:4-6. 4 And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus.5 They were delighted and agreed to give him money.6 He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them when no crowd was present.

Heroes are not called slanderers and betrayer's

But Jesus knew this and selected and kept Judas specifically for the task, even giving him the order to go do it. Then He was around for weeks after and explained why Judas' actions were necessary for the Salvation of the human race to the Apostles. That Judas was a hero, even if he upset the Apostles at first.

Well, except that didn't happen. Judas was vilified anyway! Which I see as strong evidence that Jesus didn't actually Rise. Because the Apostles still believed that Judas betrayed them instead of having Saved them.
They did not know about God's Plan for Salvation. Which makes me ask, "So, who made up that Plan of Salvation story anyway", if the Apostles didn't know about it?

Tom

Judas was no hero.His actions were his own.This was set in motion before the last supper took place and Jesus dismissed him.Jesus called him a slanderer.Jesus also said, but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?” Luke 22:48

Luke 22:4-6. 4 And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus.5 They were delighted and agreed to give him money.6 He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them when no crowd was present.

Heroes are not called slanderers and betrayer's

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Bible Student, you need to review the rules concerning DIR's. This one is for people who espouse Gnostic perspectives.