• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism: why kill somebody just for his claim that he is a prophet of God?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

It is against human rights. Such a person should be, if at all necessary, to be proved wrong with reasons and arguments or left to himself in peace. Right? Please
Regards

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I believe the idea of it is like this. Back in the day, sometimes, the authorities didn't care for a prophet of God turning public opinion against them. So if they couldn't prove the prophet as a false prophet, that left one option.

MD

qualiaphile
Had a huge ad banner next to your thread saying 'date Arab women', with a busty lady with bright red lips. Meta **** yo

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
May I assume you are talking about Jesus?
If so, that isn't why he was crucified. He was executed by the Roman authorities for treason against the state. Whether it was true or not*, Jesus was executed for insurrection and not any theological claims. The Romans did not care about Jewish religion.
Now, the Jewish authorities probably despised Him for being a social reformer. That threatened their position of wealth and power. They may well have trumped up some charges to get rid of Him. The case against Him appears to have been weak, Pilate wasn't convinced at first. But Pilate didn't much care about one Jew so just ordering the execution was the easiest thing to do. And it set an example for the other Jews as they gathered in droves to Jerusalem for Passover. "Don't Mess with Rome!", is the clear message sent by such a horrible execution.
But it wasn't about prophethood or anything like that.
Tom

* I believe that it was true. I believe that Jesus was a violent antiRoman revolutionary. If He were a modern day Iraqi fighting the USA occupation He would be considered a terrorist.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
May I assume you are talking about Jesus?
If so, that isn't why he was crucified. He was executed by the Roman authorities for treason against the state. Whether it was true or not*, Jesus was executed for insurrection and not any theological claims. The Romans did not care about Jewish religion.
Now, the Jewish authorities probably despised Him for being a social reformer. That threatened their position of wealth and power. They may well have trumped up some charges to get rid of Him. The case against Him appears to have been weak, Pilate wasn't convinced at first. But Pilate didn't much care about one Jew so just ordering the execution was the easiest thing to do. And it set an example for the other Jews as they gathered in droves to Jerusalem for Passover. "Don't Mess with Rome!", is the clear message sent by such a horrible execution.
But it wasn't about prophethood or anything like that.
Tom

* I believe that it was true. I believe that Jesus was a violent antiRoman revolutionary. If He were a modern day Iraqi fighting the USA occupation He would be considered a terrorist.
"May I assume you are talking about Jesus?"

I was talking in general terms. One may like to read post #5 in another forum to apprise one of the scenario in Judaism. Please

Regards

It is against human rights. Such a person should be, if at all necessary, to be proved wrong with reasons and arguments or left to himself in peace. Right? Please
Regards
Or send them to a doctor, right?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is there any reason to believe that the Jewish people ever killed any Miessiah claimaint?

They sure suffered through quite a few without entertaining the notion.

Christian tradition claims that they denounced Jesus to the Romans, but I don't see why anyone would believe that.

Kirran

Premium Member
There are certainly some Jewish groups who believe that the Sanhedrin (I think) had Jesus killed.

It was a different time. We're of a raised consciousness as a society now.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Regards

Are you basing your post on these Qur'anic verses, by any chance (highlighting mine)?

Qur'an 2:87 said:
And We did certainly give Moses the Torah and followed up after him with messengers. And We gave Jesus, the son of Mary, clear proofs and supported him with the Pure Spirit. But is it [not] that every time a messenger came to you, [O Children of Israel], with what your souls did not desire, you were arrogant? And a party [of messengers] you denied and another party you killed.

Qur'an 2:88 said:
And they said, "Our hearts are wrapped." But, [in fact], Allah has cursed them for their disbelief, so little is it that they believe.

Qur'an 2:89 said:
And when there came to them a Book from Allah confirming that which was with them - although before they used to pray for victory against those who disbelieved - but [then] when there came to them that which they recognized, they disbelieved in it; so the curse of Allah will be upon the disbelievers.

Qur'an 2:90 said:
How wretched is that for which they sold themselves - that they would disbelieve in what Allah has revealed through [their] outrage that Allah would send down His favor upon whom He wills from among His servants. So they returned having [earned] wrath upon wrath. And for the disbelievers is a humiliating punishment.

Qur'an 2:91 said:
And when it is said to them, "Believe in what Allah has revealed," they say, "We believe [only] in what was revealed to us." And they disbelieve in what came after it, while it is the truth confirming that which is with them. Say, "Then why did you kill the prophets of Allah before, if you are [indeed] believers?"

Qur'an 5:70 said:
We had already taken the covenant of the Children of Israel and had sent to them messengers. Whenever there came to them a messenger with what their souls did not desire, a party [of messengers] they denied, and another party they killed.

(Source of translations.)

If so, then I suggest not making assumptions about people of other beliefs based on your own scriptures just because your scriptures say they did this or that, unless you can show historical evidence that your scriptures are 100% accurate. Otherwise posts like yours amount to libeling a large group of people based on nothing more than subjective beliefs.

By the way, while we're on the subject of "killing prophets," how about you go to a Muslim-majority country and claim you are a prophet this year? If you survive long enough to manage to create a religion like Christianity, I'll gladly meet you at a Starbucks of your choosing and buy you a giant cappuccino.

Deal? :D

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Islam and Christians would as well, if you're told you're wrong.....

You're all as bad as each other, the responses I've had from some of you for saying i fulfill prophecy is beyond; which is why i limit my interaction to a few places, as you're all scary. :oops:

Kirran

Premium Member
You're all as bad as each other, the responses I've had from some of you for saying i fulfill prophecy is beyond; which is why i limit my interaction to a few places, as you're all scary. :oops:

Of course some people just don't believe you and carry on with their day normally. That'd constitute the vast majority, but they're not so visible as the vociferous people.

rosends