• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism or Christianity?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I am extremely uncomfortable with and hate making this post. I really am.

For the past month, I have been seeking an answer to help me with my lack of faith. I've asked pastors, preachers, followers of Christ who are very spiritual and full of belief. The gave a variety of different answers, but the gist of it was, "Pray and study your Bible." And that's great, but I've been doing that for quite a while, and for whatever reason (not mocking or insulting God, I know God's ways are just and it is part of His plan to do so) I received mostly superficial boosts, and whether it be scientific evidence, Jewish beliefs, or my own mind, I start to doubt in God (Jesus specifically).

I have recently been in quest of denominations and religions that suit my beliefs. I already narrowed my search down to denominations and religions that believe that God is a real, existent, omnipresent, omnipotent, deity. I started with Baptism. Most of the views suited me, but I don't believe in "Once saved, always saved" in a whole. Then I went with Catholicism. Way too many strict rules, religious practices that aren't even spoken about in the bible, and the idea of the pope forgiving your sins is a complete letdown for me. So I moved on to non-denominational. This is currently what I mostly identify as currently, but the letdown is mostly that they identify closely with the beliefs of a protestant, and when I looked up the general beliefs of protestants, they are very close to the beliefs of a Catholic. So I moved on to Messianic Jews. It was immediately a problem because I found that most Messianic Jews don't believe in the Trinity. (I have my own reasons for believing in such)

I need an opinion from someone else, I think. Jesus has always been my rock, and it's only recently that I've been struck with a huge wave of doubt. God bless!
I think that you can't count on your beliefs remaining constant for the rest of your life, since for you they already have changed. If they can change once, they can change twice. You can expect instead that they may change, so that should be a consideration when you are looking for fellowship. You should probably look for some groups that are flexible enough that they won't give you difficulty if your beliefs change. Beliefs are fickle unless you can somehow brainwash yourself.

Animore

Myself, I started out RC and eventually wound up a 7th Day Adventist. Sounds like that might be good for you, as they are trinitarian, but it wasn't a good fit for me, as I'm not.

While there, I ran across some folks from a local Hebrew Christian ... um... church? Not really a Synagogue. They were MJ, but more of a Christian type, also heavily trinitarian.

Check out the MJ DIR here, the overview post is quite good. It explains the different flavors of MJ.
Thanks, I'll look into it. :)

Animore

It's interesting, Jesus stated that his disciples, i.e., followers, would be known, not so much by what they taught (although important), but by how they acted!

Matthew 7:18-20; John 13:34-35

You know, really, worshipping God is the doing of what is acceptable to Him, not of what's acceptable to us. Although it's not that difficult (1 John 5:3,b), with the right association.....though this world can make it tough!

Take care.
Thanks for reminding me of that. I'll definitely keep it in mind. :)

Animore

I think that you can't count on your beliefs remaining constant for the rest of your life, since for you they already have changed. If they can change once, they can change twice. You can expect instead that they may change, so that should be a consideration when you are looking for fellowship. You should probably look for some groups that are flexible enough that they won't give you difficulty if your beliefs change. Beliefs are fickle unless you can somehow brainwash yourself.

That's fair enough. Thanks a bunch!

Animore

I was somewhat dancing around what Brickjet was saying in the post you quoted here.(in my post)

I am nearly 60. If I had a dollar for every belief I was utterly confident of when I was 19 and have since reconsidered I could retire and just do philanthropy. :)
Tom
Fair point. Thanks for the thoughts. :)