• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism Dir - Wondering about Moshiach

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This Shabbos, I visited with an old Chabad friend, and the topic of Moshiach came up, as usual.

The focus of the discussion was: Are those who seek Moshiach, the individual, barking up the wrong tree?

My Chabad friend thinks that the better candidates will be regal like King David, and I think that the better candidates will be snakes in the grass like Moav.

What do you think?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Zohar commentary on Bamidbar 10:25-ish. + Rambam's ruling on who is Moshiach.

If I'm understanding both of those references above. I'd be looking for attributes of Moav for candidates.

It makes the Book of Ruth very important to the canon, as well.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
why is that the case?

It's complicated... :confused:

The nature of King David's soul ( if you believe in such things ) would be different depending on whether or not Ruth is actually converted or not.

Going with conventional wisdom, If Ruth is converted then the narrative that the Chabad are using for Moshiach fits.

OTOH... ;)

LAGoff

"The focus of the discussion was: Are those who seek Moshiach, the individual, barking up the wrong tree?"

I would 'fish' about the 'servant songs' of Isaiah (ch. 40-55).
There we have a concentration on the nation of Israel as the protagonist, not an individual.
I would like to know how someone who is so into Moshiach ('The Messiah')
responds to these portions of Isaiah.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
"The focus of the discussion was: Are those who seek Moshiach, the individual, barking up the wrong tree?"

I would 'fish' about the 'servant songs' of Isaiah (ch. 40-55).
There we have a concentration on the nation of Israel as the protagonist, not an individual.
I would like to know how someone who is so into Moshiach ('The Messiah')
responds to these portions of Isaiah.
Did you read the commentary from last weeks parsha? In it, there's a little clue about casting a wide net.

But besides that, I'll review those chapters and let you know my take on it.

Thanks for your reply and interest @LAGoff :)

LAGoff

Did you read the commentary from last weeks parsha? In it, there's a little clue about casting a wide net.

But besides that, I'll review those chapters and let you know my take on it.

Thanks for your reply and interest @LAGoff :)

You mean parsha Pinchas? No, I didn't. What's the little clue? What do you mean by casting a wide net? Casting a wide net to catch what?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I suspect that it was a tease and that he's been hoping that someone would ask. :)
no no nothing like that...

I'm not a Rabbi, it's not my place to teach.

eta: Not only that, but as an amatuer enthusiast, I'm even worse than an ignoramus....

... I know just enough to be dangerous. :eek::cool:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You mean parsha Pinchas? No, I didn't. What's the little clue? What do you mean by casting a wide net? Casting a wide net to catch what?
The clue is in the commentary on the census. Other than that, I don't want to spoil the surprise. If I found it, you can find it too. Yes, it relates to 'casting a big net.'

LAGoff

The clue is in the commentary on the census. Other than that, I don't want to spoil the surprise. If I found it, you can find it too. Yes, it relates to 'casting a big net.'

The only thing that 'lifts/raises itself up' to me in this parsha is the use of the Hebrew word 'soo' at the beginning.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The only thing that 'lifts/raises itself up' to me in this parsha is the use of the Hebrew word 'soo' at the beginning.
Its in there. I think both Rashi and Ibn Ezra make special mention of the Tribe of Dan. The entire tribe are known as in-gatherers. That comes from the Zohar, referenced in my previous reply to RabbiO. The commentary from Parsha Pinchas describes the Tribe if Dan as more numerous than the others.

I'll leave you with that. Any questions so far on what I said so far?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The clue is in the commentary on the census. Other than that, I don't want to spoil the surprise.
Its in there.

Perhaps you should move this to the Games/Pics/Jokes/Stories forum. There's also a forum for Quzzes. And you can always return here when you want to actually discuss something related to Judaism. Seems like a win/win to me.

LAGoff

"Did you read the commentary from last weeks parsha?"

What is 'the commentary' that you are referring to?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Perhaps you should move this to the Games/Pics/Jokes/Stories forum. There's also a forum for Quzzes. And you can always return here when you want to actually discuss something related to Judaism. Seems like a win/win to me.
OK. Sorry. Lesson learned.

Truce?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
"Did you read the commentary from last weeks parsha?"

What is 'the commentary' that you are referring to?
Please refer to post #13. I am not trying to make this into a joke thread, even though that's how it looks.

I am happy to discuss it in detail via private message if you're interested.

Otherwise, I'll take @Jayhawker Soule 's advice and try to be more restrained about what I post here in the Judaism-Dir.

Jay, I'm sorry that this thread did not rise to the level of professionalism that perhaps you are expecting from threads brought to this sub-forum. I'll do better, or, at least, I'll be more discriminating about what I post here.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
This Shabbos, I visited with an old Chabad friend, and the topic of Moshiach came up, as usual.

The focus of the discussion was: Are those who seek Moshiach, the individual, barking up the wrong tree?

My Chabad friend thinks that the better candidates will be regal like King David, and I think that the better candidates will be snakes in the grass like Moav.

What do you think?
Liz Warren.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Otherwise, I'll take @Jayhawker Soule I'll take @Jayhawker Soule 's advice and try to be more restrained about what I post here in the Judaism-Dir.

Jay, I'm sorry that this thread did not rise to the level of professionalism that perhaps you are expecting from threads brought to this sub-forum. I'll do better, or, at least, I'll be more discriminating about what I post here.
Oy vey iz mir. Feel free to dabble in restraint and professionalism if you wish, but please don't pretend that I've advised you to do so.

Now, was there something about Pinchas (or Ruth) that you'd like to share? I ask because I find both texts interesting.