• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism Dir - Help me come up with ideas...

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
... for topics to teach in my Son's Hebrew School Torah/Midrash unit next year.

Hi everyone,

My family belongs to a growing Reconstruction congregation where the Hebrew school is setup as a Parent-Led coop. This year ( 6th grade ) is focused on Torah/Midrash, If I volunteer for the task , I will have free reign to teach whatever I want for 4 out of 16 classes. Literally. Whatever I want. I have some basic ideas, but I'm also looking for suggestions.

At this point in the curriculum, in theory, the kids know the basic outline of the narrative of genesis and exodus, but, that's it. ( it's a super minimalist approach ) The school's focus is more on building kehila, than knowledge... just being honest. And, that was 3 years ago.

My 4 classes are at the beginning of the year so that means I can set the tone, if I dare. :D. These are modern, Reform/Humanistic leaning families. Some from mixed marriages. So that needs to be considered when picking subject matter.

Here are some jumping off points for discussion:

1) Do I introduce the underlying concepts of Torah criticism?
2) Which Midrashim should I use as examples? Obscure? Controversial? Magical? Something easy?
3) As an over arching goal, beyond the basic narrative, what does a young modern Jewish person need to know about Torah/Midrash?

Thank you,

dwb, you are a Recon ! I love it ! Let’s team up and kick some OJ hide !!

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What are your fav points about Recon? Are you a fan of Mordechi ? His main idea was a shul with a pool, right ?

Do you like Renewal ?
We joined the Reconstruction Congegation by process of elimination, really.

I like the changes they have made to the siddur, and they never criticize Torah or other's beliefs whether they are Jewish, Hindu, Athiest, whatever. I also like the inclusivity. At services there are trans folks who participate, and I honestly enjoy hanging out with the congregants.

Renewal? Yes, Iove it. Going back to our mystical roots, music, chassidic stories....

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
We joined the Reconstruction Congegation by process of elimination, really.

I like the changes they have made to the siddur, and they never criticize Torah or other's beliefs whether they are Jewish, Hindu, Athiest, whatever. I also like the inclusivity. At services there are trans folks who participate, and I honestly enjoy hanging out with the congregants.

Renewal? Yes, Iove it. Going back to our mystical roots, music, chassidic stories....
You seem like good people to me, dyb ! Where are you on the Reform scale? Say “0” is atheist Jew and “100” is RabbiO (Conservodox) ?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You seem like good people to me, dyb ! Where are you on the Reform scale? Say “0” is atheist Jew and “100” is RabbiO (Conservodox) ?
I am not on that scale. I am a complete outsider.

I stumbled on this place by accident. Seriously.

I guess I'm just lucky.

And observant.

That gives me an idea...

Maybe I should change my religious label to "Observant Judaism"....

actually... on 2nd thought...

that's too... as they say... "Front-street"