• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism DIR: Future of Judaism

Tumah

Veteran Member
Enjoying Christmas celebrations isn't the issue, it's a symptom of the larger issue of assimilation.
What do you think will happen if you immerse your children in an alien culture and teach them virtually nothing of their own heritage?

There are two options for the Judaism of the future in the US: it will either be virtually completely Orthodox or non-existent as all the Orthodox Jews have moved to Israel.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Enjoying Christmas celebrations isn't the issue, it's a symptom of the larger issue of assimilation.
What do you think will happen if you immerse your children in an alien culture and teach them virtually nothing of their own heritage?

There are two options for the Judaism of the future in the US: it will either be virtually completely Orthodox or non-existent as all the Orthodox Jews have moved to Israel.
Thank you for your response Tumah.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
"Will the next generation of US Jews be strong enough to simply enjoy the Christmas spirit, to hum along with the carols but not go out caroling? Will they be able to separate Jewish tradition from Christian tradition? Or will they light a Hanukkah menorah alongside their own Christmas tree?"

I'm lost on why a Jew must "enjoy the Christmas spirit". o_O

Flankerl

Nothing special
Secular and Reform Jews will continue to assimilate and intermarry away, Conservatives less so and Orthodox won't

Same as always

ztgbux63aj7n.jpg

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing special
Secular and Reform Jews will continue to assimilate and intermarry away, Conservatives less so and Orthodox won't

Same as always

ztgbux63aj7n.jpg
This is a great chart, but I wonder at the 0% of the charedim. No denomination is completely immune to falling OTD and intermarrying.

Ehav4Ever

I have seen a 3rd option. A type of Jew remains, either halachically Jewish or not, that decides that he/she will use the title Jewish as a way to degrade the State of Israel and Torah based Jews. The classic examples that I am reminded of is once years ago there were group of Orthodox university students, I think in Canada, that were studying together on campus when they were surrounded and harressed by a group of anti-Israel protesters. The protestors wouldn't let them leave the room they were studying in. As the crowd was yelling down with Israel, all of a sudden a man pushed his way through and yelled even louder than the crowd, "Down with Israel......and I am Jewish!" The crowd yelled out in praise of this person.

The flip side is the messyanics who claim to be Jewish and also claim that they are increasing their congregations.