• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism/ Christianity - Elijah

Linus

I have a question that I was hoping some of the other Christians or even our residend Jewish members could answer.

Why do the Jews look so highly upon the prophet Elijah?

It's not like I don't think he is important, but I have a reason for asking. There is relatively little written about Elijah (at least in the Christian OlD Testament), and virtually nothing to my knowledge written about his past or background. Only a few Chapters in the Book of 1 Kings are devoted to his life and works among the Hebrews. Especially when compared to other prophets like Isaiah or Jeremaiah who have their own large books. Yet, at Christs transfiguration, there's Elijah alongside Moses. And, according to the book of John, many people thought John the Baptist was Elijah himself. And again, on the cross when Jesus cries, "Eli, Eli! Lama sabachtanai?" (sp), certain bystanders thought he was calling for Elijah.

Why the emphasis on Elijah?

Was it because he was taken up to Heaven without death?

Was it because, even though we have little information on him, he did many great things?

Is it both?

Is it neither?

Any help or information would be appreciated.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Behold, I send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and awesome day of HaShem. (Malachi 3:23)

As you pointed out Linus, Elijah did not die, but is believed to have ascended into "heaven" still alive. because of that it is believed that he will return the herald the coming of Moshiach...after that i really don't know...i'll poke around and see what else i can find...

Linus

I'll note that it's interesting that your division of the book of Malachi has no fourth chapter. Your Malachai 3:23 is my Malachi 4:5. Interesting. At any rate, thanks for the scriptural reference. Did you find anything else by chance?