• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism: Book of Exodus neither written by Moses nor dictated by him

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
He has a point, why would Moses be referring to himself in the third person when wrote the book. Other prophets in the Bible refer to themselves in the first person as if they wrote it themselves.
Except that Mohammed did not write a single word of the Koran...
It was written down by those around him who could read and write.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It funny. Because we all know this paarsurrey believe in Quran. A book supposedly dictated by god , who speaks in third person, who has his dictated book put together incorrectly, and a religion who follows supposed traditions written down after generations of story telling.

And then has the chutzpah to say our religion is fake and curroptes by scribes and scholars.

Am I the only one to find the irony here hilarious
Am I the only one who is not the least bit surprised at his hypocrisy?

rosends

What? o_O

Why would YHVH need to dictate to MOSES what MOSES was doing - in the third person?

Jewish scholars agree that these were written later by other people.

Why would God "need" to dictate? He doesn't "need." But he did. That's a tenet of faith of Judaism. A claim that "Jewish scholars agree" picks certain "Jewish scholars" and ignores others. I can line up a whole bunch of Jewish scholars that do not agree. Would that be useful?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
What? o_O

Why would YHVH need to dictate to MOSES what MOSES was doing - in the third person?

Jewish scholars agree that these were written later by other people.

Why would God "need" to dictate? He doesn't "need." But he did. That's a tenet of faith of Judaism. A claim that "Jewish scholars agree" picks certain "Jewish scholars" and ignores others. I can line up a whole bunch of Jewish scholars that do not agree. Would that be useful?

Re-read that sentence.

I did not say a God can not dictate.

I asked why a God would dictate to Moses - what Moses was already doing - with Moses writing about himself in the third person. That makes no sense.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Re-read that sentence.

I asked why a God would dictate to Moses - what Moses was already doing - with Moses writing about himself in the third person. That makes no sense.

Right observation.
Regards

rosends

Re-read that sentence.

Reread what you wrote:
"Why would YHVH need to dictate to MOSES what MOSES was doing - in the third person?"
The issue is not what God "needs" but what God did. The Torah was written by God as a narrative of the events from creation well before the creation occurred. It was dictated to Moses as that narrative story. Moses was not writing about himself, he was writing down the story God dictated and in which he was involved. To you it makes no sense. To me it makes perfect sense.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I never said that Moses' religion is fake. Yes, Moses' religion has been corrupted by narrators/scribes/clergy. They have played havoc with Moses' religion.
Regards
Again, you can't see that this is totally illogical, and you can't see it because you just blindly buy into that traditional Islamic teaching.

In order for anyone to actually know that there were these supposed mistakes, they would have to have access to the original manuscripts, and we don't have any of them. It would be like if I said that what Mohammed heard from the angel was mistranslated, so what's in the Qu'ran is largely erroneous. In order for me to actually know that, I would have actually had to have been there to hear the angel myself, but I ain't quite that old.

So, let me suggest you get away from that blind belief and to look at this logically.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
sm7_facepalm.gif
sm7_facepalm.gif
sm7_facepalm.gif
Why would one cover one's face? One should see the reality with open eyes.
Regards

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Reread what you wrote:
"Why would YHVH need to dictate to MOSES what MOSES was doing - in the third person?"
The issue is not what God "needs" but what God did. The Torah was written by God as a narrative of the events from creation well before the creation occurred. It was dictated to Moses as that narrative story. Moses was not writing about himself, he was writing down the story God dictated and in which he was involved. To you it makes no sense. To me it makes perfect sense.

I don't believe God would be that ridiculous for a second.

Even modern Jewish scholars acknowledge that many different people over time wrote Tanakh. Moses did not write any of it.

rosends

I don't believe God would be that ridiculous for a second.

Even modern Jewish scholars acknowledge that many different people over time wrote Tanakh. Moses did not write any of it.

You don't have to believe it. Nor does it seem as ridiculous to me as your position does. See how that works?

Even modern Jewish scholars believe that God dictated the torah to Moses and Moses did not write it independently.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
You don't have to believe it. Nor does it seem as ridiculous to me as your position does. See how that works?

Even modern Jewish scholars believe that God dictated the torah to Moses and Moses did not write it independently.

Scholars tell us Moses did NOT write it at all.

It was written much later.

rosends

Scholars tell us Moses did NOT write it at all.

It was written much later.

Scholars tell us Moses did write it from the dictation of God. No doubt you will decide that any scholars I cite have no authority. I would do much the same with the scholars you cherry pick.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

• Haaretz.com

• Friday, June 05, 2015 Sivan 18, 5775
Did Moses really write the Torah?
Jewish tradition says that God dictated the Ten Commandments and also the Torah to Moses atop Mt. Sinai - but actually, the bible says no such thing.

By Elon Gilad | May 21, 2015 | 9:01 AM |
comment.png