• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journals that mix Science and Religion

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Give me references to journals, preferably peer-review, that mix Science and Religion. Found only one such: “Zygon: Journal of Religion and Science”. I bet there were plenty of such journals prior to Darwinian Revolution.

Zygon (journal) - Wikipedia

But mix of Religion and Science in the end will result in finding True Religion. I need journals, that can change academic Science and add up to it. Does this Zygon journal make change to Physics or Math, if God becomes proven? No? No. Okey! I wanted a lot from damned planet. There are no such journals. No "Science + Religion" out there. But maybe there is a science and spirituality peer-review journals?

All religious scientists
(including A. Einstein [a pan-theist], I. Newton [a christian] and Nicola Tesla [Eastern-Orthodox])
wrote their articles in such a way that their faith had no effect on their scientific work: same results could be made by godless people. And very rare exceptions (it is a genious minority among large number of Creationists) were not allowed to peer-reviewed publications.
There aren't any unless you're looking at a scientific journal on the psychology of religion or related.

Otherwise you find self-made so called 'peer reviewed journals' like creation science has made for itself.

Orbit

I'm a planet
There are legit peer reviewed journals in the sociology of religion, like the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion. But the articles are about religion, scientifically studied, not about science itself and its connection to religion.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Find a miracle that can be studied. Most when investigated go away,

Yes, many cases of the miraculous have been investigated, but of course, none of the results concluded that they were miracle. The answers were always a natural explanation or no result that the miracle occured.

In the Baha'i Faith a miracle is the natural not understood.

The word after miracle in the dictionary is mirage.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Religion is a totally separate way of thinking then Science. Why mix it?

Naturalism does mix itself with Science in the mainstream though.

I see that frustration.

Human nature is to infer too much beyond the strict science.

Science should stick to strict physical causation with no extraneous inferences attached.

Seems everybody is desparate for a worldview, and worldview confirmation. Science should not be about worldviews.

Logic and religion is a good relationship though. But logical consistency often times does not lead to truth of reality. Thats true for all worldviews, imo.

It seems all people operate from the assumptions of worldviews and that permeates all fields of endeavour. Thats a shame! It leads to blindness, and closed mindedness.

siti

Give me references to journals, preferably peer-review, that mix Science and Religion.
Not journals, but you might like books from the Templeton Press - I will not pass judgement on the science in some of the supposedly science-oriented books, but I do have a great deal of respect for (not necessarily agreement with) the thinking of some of the authors such as Paul Davies, Charles Birch, David Sloan Wilson, Arthur Peacocke and John Barrow (to name a few). If you are really interested in reading about the philosophical/religious conclusions some genuinely brilliant scientists draw from their special understanding of the how the world works, these are a good place to start - but most of them are not science - they are the philosophical/religious/theological opinions of scientists...and theologians and others.

Bob the Unbeliever

Naturalism mixes science and atheism with the assumptions taken religiously that God never acted in history and so there are many

It's not taken religiously-- it's a pragmatic observation that in all of history, there remains nothing showing that any god has actually done... anything.

We are still waiting, all these centuries later, for An Act Of God™ ....

Bob the Unbeliever

The Truth is what God acts on Material World: look up "Holy Fire". So there must be modifying action of Religion on Science. But ``the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you." John 14:17.

So. The excuse you use is "magic", then? With the additional excuse that you have to be gullible first, or "god" cannot "communicate" to you?

Is that how it works?

So either god is maliciously withholding communication to some folk, or is incompetent, and doesn't know how...

hmmmm....

... not much of a "god", is it? My cat does a better job of communication! Seriously-- and he doesn't even speak a language!

questfortruth

Religion is a totally separate way of thinking then Science. Why mix it?
FACTS:
1. The science is in crisis and has major problems,
2. The science denies to call Absolute Truth "scientific", because it is not falsifiable.
3. Theology acknowledges the existence of Absolute Truth.

Conclusion: the Popper's criterion must be improved to connect Science and Religion.

Last edited:

questfortruth

It's not taken religiously-- it's a pragmatic observation that in all of history, there remains nothing showing that any god has actually done... anything.

We are still waiting, all these centuries later, for An Act Of God™ ....
The problems of Science are multiplying in exponential progression. Thus, something is wrong in basement of Scientific Building. Some father of Science said something stupid. And now we do not know the 95 % composition of Reality (we called it Dark Energy and Dark Matter problems). Dark Matter and Dark Energy is a manifestation of the spirituality of Reality: it was simultaneously discovered and not found. Discovered on the influence of gravity on the stars (NASA research), and not found in CERN and underground detectors.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
No FACTS here

FACTS:
1. The science is in crisis and has major problems,

No major problems;computers work, airplanes fly, and technology advances based on advances in science. What is the problem?

2. The science denies to call Absolute Truth "scientific", because it is not falsifiable.

Science considers 'Absolute Truth' not falsifiable, but does not deny it exists. It is possible Absolute Truth exists either as God, or the absolute Laws of Nature depending on the belief of the scientist, but yes it is beyond falsification.

3. Theology acknowledges the existence of Absolute Truth.

True, but not from the human perspective. The essence of truth is God not fallible humans.

Conclusion: the Popper's criterion must be improved to connect Science and Religion.

Actually, even though Popper contributed to the philosophy of science and the approach to the methods, but in reality scientific methods have basically remained the same as before Popper.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Maybe you need your glasses adjusted?

Glasses are not the issue. Too many simply natural occurrences, are attributed as acts of God without anymore justification than the anecdotal 'one believes it so,' or supernatural reported events in the ancient past that lack verification. It is a matter of fact that there are no significant events attributable to God that cannot simply be considered natural events.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
From what I can tell, this is mostly talking *about* religion and its history. Like any analysis of literature or history, this can be done in a peer-reviewed setting.

I wonder how many actual theological conclusions are reached, though.
Probably very few. But indeed, nor are conclusions reached in papers on interpretation of Shakespeare. That is the point. In the study of religion there lots of shades of opinion and different ways of looking at things. (For instance there are at least three ways of looking at the idea of the "Atonement" said to be achieved by Christ's sacrifice on the cross.) But it is still possible to tell a well-argued contribution, based on a proper scholarship, from a poor one.