• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joshua - The Christ View of Jesus.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
As Christ followers, we believe that God sent messages throughout the TaNaKh pointing to the Messiah of which we believe it is Jesus Christ (The anointed one with the anointing).

Joshua means "Jehovah is salvation" in Hebrew even as Jesus means the same in Greek.

Joshua 3
Then Joshua rose early in the morning and they set out from ****tim. And they came to the Jordan, he and all the people of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over. 2 At the end of three days the officers went through the camp 3 and commanded the people, “As soon as you see the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God being carried by the Levitical priests, then you shall set out from your place and follow it.4 Yet there shall be a distance between you and it, about 2,000 cubits[a] in length. Do not come near it, in order that you may know the way you shall go, for you have not passed this way before.” 5 and as soon as those bearing the ark had come as far as the Jordan, and the feet of the priests bearing the ark were dipped in the brink of the water (now the Jordan overflows all its banks throughout the time of harvest), 16 the waters coming down from above stood and rose up in a heap very far away, at Adam, the city that is beside Zarethan, and those flowing down toward the Sea of the Arabah, the Salt Sea, were completely cut off. And the people passed over opposite Jericho…

4: 8 And the people of Israel did just as Joshua commanded and took up twelve stones out of the midst of the Jordan, according to the number of the tribes of the people of Israel, just as the Lord told Joshua. And they carried them over with them to the place where they lodged and laid them downa]">[a] there.9 And Joshua set upb]">[b] twelve stones in the midst of the Jordan, in the place where the feet of the priests bearing the ark of the covenant had stood; and they are there to this day. 10 For the priests bearing the ark stood in the midst of the Jordan until everything was finished that the Lord commanded Joshua to tell the people, according to all that Moses had commanded Joshua.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 3.19.55 PM.png

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Deal-breaker: Joshua Chapter 1:

7Above all, be strong and very courageous. Be careful to observe 7Above all, be strong and very courageous. Be careful to observe all the law that My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may prosper wherever you go. 8This Book of the Law must not depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in all you do. the law that My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may prosper wherever you go. 8This Book of the Law must not depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in all you do.

Above *all* follow *everything* written in the Book of Law.

This contradicts Jesus in John 6:29: “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

Lain

As Christ followers, we believe that God sent messages throughout the TaNaKh pointing to the Messiah of which we believe it is Jesus Christ (The anointed one with the anointing).

Joshua means "Jehovah is salvation" in Hebrew even as Jesus means the same in Greek.

Joshua 3
Then Joshua rose early in the morning and they set out from ****tim. And they came to the Jordan, he and all the people of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over. 2 At the end of three days the officers went through the camp 3 and commanded the people, “As soon as you see the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God being carried by the Levitical priests, then you shall set out from your place and follow it.4 Yet there shall be a distance between you and it, about 2,000 cubits[a] in length. Do not come near it, in order that you may know the way you shall go, for you have not passed this way before.” 5 and as soon as those bearing the ark had come as far as the Jordan, and the feet of the priests bearing the ark were dipped in the brink of the water (now the Jordan overflows all its banks throughout the time of harvest), 16 the waters coming down from above stood and rose up in a heap very far away, at Adam, the city that is beside Zarethan, and those flowing down toward the Sea of the Arabah, the Salt Sea, were completely cut off. And the people passed over opposite Jericho…

4: 8 And the people of Israel did just as Joshua commanded and took up twelve stones out of the midst of the Jordan, according to the number of the tribes of the people of Israel, just as the Lord told Joshua. And they carried them over with them to the place where they lodged and laid them downa]">[a] there.9 And Joshua set upb]">[b] twelve stones in the midst of the Jordan, in the place where the feet of the priests bearing the ark of the covenant had stood; and they are there to this day. 10 For the priests bearing the ark stood in the midst of the Jordan until everything was finished that the Lord commanded Joshua to tell the people, according to all that Moses had commanded Joshua.

View attachment 58267

Indeed, and the vision of Christ is why Moses changed the name of Joshua to Joshua from Hoshea in my view and consecrated Aaron as he did.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
Deal-breaker: Joshua Chapter 1:

7Above all, be strong and very courageous. Be careful to observe 7Above all, be strong and very courageous. Be careful to observe all the law that My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may prosper wherever you go. 8This Book of the Law must not depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in all you do. the law that My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may prosper wherever you go. 8This Book of the Law must not depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in all you do.

Above *all* follow *everything* written in the Book of Law.

This contradicts Jesus in John 6:29: “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

At first glance, one can come to that conclusion.

There are a couple of things, that if one doesn't take it into account, it can make it confusing.

There were two sets of tablets, one broken by humanity and the other (in the Ark) that speaks of God as viewed by Christ's followers.

The Law is parenthetical. You have the Abrahamic Covenant and you have Mosaic Covenant, IMU, which came after. As you will note, they weren't able to "observe to all that is written".

The Abrahamic Covenant was for the blessing of all nations and the Mosaic Covenant was for the people of Israel. Both were for the purpose of establishing the coming of the Messiah. (in the Christian understanding-- ) or, at the least, in my neck of the woods.

Within the Mosaic law was the shadow of the message of Jesus. Ultimately, as the prophet said, Jeremiah 31:33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Believing in Hashem has always been the salvation of people. Abraham believed even when he didn't "Observe to do all" that God told him. So, it isn't really contradictory but rather an explanation.

The prophet Joel said it well when he proclaimed, "2:32 "And it will come about that whoever * calls on the name of the LORD Will be delivered;"

Yet, it is so important to meditate on the word, keep before your eyes, put it in your mouth and do what God tells you to do!

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@KenS ,

Thank you for the reply. I've noticed that the explanation provided has drifted far from Joshua. I provided a direct contradtiction; you've provided "a shadow of the message of Jesus".

You mentioned Jeremial 31:33; a formula for this is given. It's Psalm 119. It's **all about following the law**.

Verse 152: "Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever."

Kenny

Premium Member
@KenS ,

Thank you for the reply. I've noticed that the explanation provided has drifted far from Joshua. I provided a direct contradtiction; you've provided "a shadow of the message of Jesus".

You mentioned Jeremial 31:33; a formula for this is given. It's Psalm 119. It's **all about following the law**.

Verse 152: "Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever."
Maybe I don't quite understand your statement since it was before the crossing of the river Jordan.

How are you connecting the type and shadow that I mentioned in the crossing with the beautiful statement of Joshua 1:8?

As I see it, Joshua 1:8 is one thing and believing in the Lord something different... I was attempting to connect the dots however short in doing so.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
How are you connecting the type and shadow that I mentioned in the crossing with the beautiful statement of Joshua 1:8?
That's the point, they don't connect. The type and shadow doesn't match Joshua's words. I think those words are more persuasive than, for example, comparing "at the end of three days" verse 2 with the story of Jesus rising in three days.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
And this is an incredible mistake on your parts. The Tanakh says actually very, very little about the messiah -- it is an insignificant part of its teaching. That Christians imagine Jesus on every page shows that you read teh books with tinted glasses.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Amazing!
I see it now!
So the Old Testament prophesied everything perfectly and accurately...... so easy to show.

For instance, that Yuri Gargarin would go in to space, or Neil Armstrong would travel from Earth in a spaceship....it's all there.

2 Kings 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, [there appeared] a
chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. {2:12} And Elisha saw [it,] and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

All these accounts, guided by the hand of Jesus, who is God.

:facepalm:

2ndpillar

Joshua 3

View attachment 58267

The central message of the Law and the prophets was the kingdom of God, which would be set up in the land given to Jacob, with Judah and Benjamin (Israel), the 12 tribes, being reunited, under the leadership of My servant David (Ezekiel 37:22-28 & 34:20-23). This all to happen at the "end of the age", when the "wicked"/"tares" would be gathered out, and tossed into the fire, in as you would have the judgment upon the nations (Hosea 3:1-3), and the survivors among the nations/Gentiles, will confess that they have inherited nothing but falsehoods from their fathers (Jeremiah 16:19).

Kenny

Premium Member
That's the point, they don't connect. The type and shadow doesn't match Joshua's words. I think those words are more persuasive than, for example, comparing "at the end of three days" verse 2 with the story of Jesus rising in three days.
I don't agree as I pointed out in reference to the two different covenants. So many times even my Jewish brothers will point out that there are scriptures that are pointing to the Messiah. But that doesn't mean all are pointing to the Messiah.

Kenny

Premium Member
And this is an incredible mistake on your parts. The Tanakh says actually very, very little about the messiah -- it is an insignificant part of its teaching. That Christians imagine Jesus on every page shows that you read teh books with tinted glasses.

I hardly intimated that every page shows Jesus. And even though the TaNaKh may say little in comparison to everything else, it remains an integral and important part of the story. Are they not looking for the Reigning King to come? You can't minimize such an important event however little it may appear to you.

Kenny

Premium Member
Amazing!
I see it now!
So the Old Testament prophesied everything perfectly and accurately...... so easy to show.

For instance, that Yuri Gargarin would go in to space, or Neil Armstrong would travel from Earth in a spaceship....it's all there.

2 Kings 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, [there appeared] a
chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. {2:12} And Elisha saw [it,] and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

All these accounts, guided by the hand of Jesus, who is God.

:facepalm:

LOL - funny and creative.

Actually, I found you prophetically in Genesis

36 Now it was Jacob's turn to get angry. He lit into Laban: "So what's my crime, what wrong have I done you that you badger me like this? 37 You've ransacked the place. Have you turned up a single thing that's yours? Let's see it - display the evidence. Our two families can be the jury and decide between us.

LOL Notice, you ransack wherever you go.

And yet splitting the dirty waters from the city of Adam (coincidentally), to the Dead Sea (coincidentally) with the arc of God's presence (coincidentally), with the contents that fit so perfectly for Jesus, (coincidentally), to the three days (coincidentally), seems to fit so nicely ;) coincidentally.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
@KenS ,

Incidentally, it will last forever. It will be written in our minds and hearts.

Kenny

Premium Member
The central message of the Law and the prophets was the kingdom of God, which would be set up in the land given to Jacob, with Judah and Benjamin (Israel), the 12 tribes, being reunited, under the leadership of My servant David (Ezekiel 37:22-28 & 34:20-23). This all to happen at the "end of the age", when the "wicked"/"tares" would be gathered out, and tossed into the fire, in as you would have the judgment upon the nations (Hosea 3:1-3), and the survivors among the nations/Gentiles, will confess that they have inherited nothing but falsehoods from their fathers (Jeremiah 16:19).
Some would fit that scenario as long as we don't forget that there are wheat there also and more wheat than tares. :)

2ndpillar

Some would fit that scenario as long as we don't forget that there are wheat there also and more wheat than tares. :)

You are reading your own prejudice into what is written. You will have to define your own version of "wicked" (Matthew 13:49) to come up with your conclusion. There will be "few" that find the way to life, whereas there will be many who find the wide path to "destruction" (Matthew 7:13-15), and the wide path to "destruction", is constructed by the "false prophets" who "Practice Lawlessness", such as Paul's false gospel of grace/cross (Matthew 7:23).

2ndpillar

Incidentally, it will last forever. It will be written in our minds and hearts.

The writing on the minds and hearts is with respect to Israel in Ezekiel 36:26 and Jeremiah 31:33 is with respect to the house of Israel and the house of Judah. With respect to Ezekiel 34:20-24, the Lord God, YHWY, will judge between the sheep, and "My servant David", will be their "shepherd" & "prince"/king. In Israel, all the kings, prophets, and priest are anointed (Christ). Joshua is the modern version of Yeshua, and both mean YHWH saves. When you believe in the name of Christ, Yeshua, you believe that YHWH, the Lord God saves. Joshua is just his anointed prince/king/shepherd. What will last forever is that YHWH will find his sanctuary in the combined temple of a combined Judah and Ephraim (Ezekiel 37:25-28), on the land given to Jacob.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I hardly intimated that every page shows Jesus. And even though the TaNaKh may say little in comparison to everything else, it remains an integral and important part of the story. Are they not looking for the Reigning King to come? You can't minimize such an important event however little it may appear to you.
I'm sorry, but although the messiah is a part of Jewish prophecy, he is no where near the core of what the Tanakh teaches. The central gist of the tankah is "Obey God." The idea of the messianic age to come, and a king who will rule during that time is just not central.

Kenny

Premium Member
... by following the example and being inspired as described in psalm 119.

Definitely helps. As a Christ follower, having God make His temple in my heart was the difference.