• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joseph Smith Inspired Version of the Bible

FFH

Veteran Member
For those who want to know more about this let me know...

This inspired version of the Bible consists of 99 percent of the current King James , but there are about 20 pages worth of text which were either missing, distorted or mistranslated from the original, which has since been restored bu Joseph Smith....

Take it or leave it for what it's worth to ya.

FatMan

This inspired version consists of the King James (about 99 percent), but, by inspiration, there are about 20 pages worth of text which were either missing, distorted or mistranslated from the original, which has since been restored through inspiration given to Joseph Smith....

Can you explain how 20 pages are created out of "inspiration" but are supposedly replacing missing or distorted or mistranslated text? The term inspired seems to be a misnomer. Shouldn't it say "restored" or "revised"??

Dream Angel

Ok this is creepy Im having Deja Vu! im sure I have seen this before today and yet you have only started it today!

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I reject both versions of the Bible. I could as easily edit the Bible to my liking and claim it is the true interpertation.

I would have to edit a lot out and put some things in. The God from Bruce Almighty seems like such a nice God. ;)

Dream Angel

I reject both versions of the Bible. Joseph Smith saying his version of the Bible is more true is moronic (no offense). I could as easily edit the Bible to my liking and claim it is the true interpertation.

I would have to edit a lot out and put some things in. The God from Bruce Almighty seems like such a nice God. ;)

really? he left the world in the hands of an idiot! I mean he made it so everyone won the lottery!!!!! :D

I think there is certain criteria to become a prophet, like writing about things without being there etc etc - im not really sure. but i dont think its a matter of take a book, rewrite it and voila! :)

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I think there is certain criteria to become a prophet, like writing about things without being there etc etc - im not really sure.
Pretty much declaring yourself a prophet is the main criterion. Whether you get others to believe you is, of course, a different kettle of fish. :fishing:

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I find this most peculiar to be truthful, on the Tv adverts promting T.C.O.J.C.A.L.D.S they use the KJV, on here the Mormons use the KJV. Yet there is a version out there which is supposed to be an inspired translation by their prophet, so why not use that? It must be perfect as it was an "inspired translation", no other translators claimed inspiration for themselves. Or did the JWS New World tranlsators? Hmm not sure.

Personally for me, the KJV is the Word of God in english, I love it and will use it for the rest of my life but I do not debate versions on forums as a general rule.

Polaris

I find this most peculiar to be truthful, on the Tv adverts promting T.C.O.J.C.A.L.D.S they use the KJV, on here the Mormons use the KJV. Yet there is a version out there which is supposed to be an inspired translation by their prophet, so why not use that? It must be perfect as it was an "inspired translation", no other translators claimed inspiration for themselves. Or did the JWS New World tranlsators? Hmm not sure.

Personally for me, the KJV is the Word of God in english, I love it and will use it for the rest of my life but I do not debate versions on forums as a general rule.

The copyright for the Inspired Version is owned by the RLDS church. That is why we mainly use the KJV, though many of Joseph's inspired modifications are contained in an appendix and in the footnotes of the typical LDS KJV bible.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
The copyright for the Inspired Version is owned by the RLDS church. That is why we mainly use the KJV, though many of Joseph's inspired modifications are contained in an appendix and in the footnotes of the typical LDS KJV bible.

Polaris, what is the RLDS church?

Polaris

Sorry. It's the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, now referred to as the Community of Christ. After Joseph's death the church split into a few different groups:

- the vast majority stayed with the 12 Apostles and retained the name - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- a relatively small group followed Sidney Rigdon - one of Josephs couselors who claimed to be in charge
- another small group believed that Joseph's offspring should be heir to the Prophet (his oldest son was six years old at the time). Emma, Joseph's wife stayed with this group, the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and retained possession of certain of Joseph's belongings including the official manuscript that later became the Inspired Version of the bible.

jonny

The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is now known as the Community of Christ. After Joseph Smith died there was a split in the church. Most of the members followed Brigham Young to Utah. A good portion stayed behind. Eventually, Joseph Smith's son was put in as their prophet and the RLDS church was born.

Today, they reject most of the doctrines that you claim are "weird." The Book of Mormon isn't really considered scripture. One of the biggest reasons for the split was the rejection of polygamy - especially by Joseph Smith's wife Emma Smith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Christ

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Sorry. It's the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, now referred to as the Community of Christ. After Joseph's death the church split into a few different groups:

- the vast majority stayed with the 12 Apostles and retained the name - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- a relatively small group followed Sidney Rigdon - one of Josephs couselors who claimed to be in charge
- another small group believed that Joseph's offspring should be heir to the Prophet (his oldest son was six years old son at the time). Emma, Joseph's wife stayed with this group and retained possession of certain of Joseph's belongings including the official manuscript that later became the Inspired Version of the bible.

Thanks Polaris, I had no idea.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is now known as the Community of Christ. After Joseph Smith died there was a split in the church. Most of the members followed Brigham Young to Utah. A good portion stayed behind. Eventually, Joseph Smith's son was put in as their prophet and the RLDS church was born.

Today, they reject most of the doctrines that you claim are "weird." The Book of Mormon isn't really considered scripture. One of the biggest reasons for the split was the rejection of polygamy - especially by Joseph Smith's wife Emma Smith.

Huh, I knew there are a few sects who claim to be mormon etc. I will read your link, thanks very much.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you

Scripture
Community of Christ points to Jesus Christ as the living Word of God[25] and affirms the Bible, along with the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants as scripture for the church. The Community of Christ view of scripture is that it should be "reasonably interpreted and faithfully applied." Scripture references provided for congregational worship generally follow the Revised Common Lectionary. The church views the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants as "additional witnesses of Christ's ministry and God's love." Community of Christ understands scripture as an inspired record of God's activity with humanity. While it recognizes scripture as the revelation of God, its members would not typically suggest that scriptures constitute the literal "words of God."[26]

They believe the trinity too! :eek: :thud:

God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit
Community of Christ states that the "one eternal living God is triune..." and acknowledges God as Creator and Source of love, life, and truth. They state that "God alone is worthy of worship." Jesus Christ is described as both Savior and as a living expression of God and is acknowledged as having lived, died, and been resurrected. As the name of the denomination implies, Jesus Christ is central to their study and worship. Community of Christ's Theology Task Force states that "Jesus Christ is the Word made flesh, both fully human and fully divine."[13] The Holy Spirit is described as the "continuing presence of God in the world" and as the source of divine inspiration.[14]

nutshell

I could be wrong, but it is my undersanding that the Community of Christ altered its teachings to receive financial support from evangelical-like Christian groups.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Dream Angel said:
really? he left the world in the hands of an idiot! I mean he made it so everyone won the lottery!!!!! :D

I think there is certain criteria to become a prophet, like writing about things without being there etc etc - im not really sure. but i dont think its a matter of take a book, rewrite it and voila! :)

I apologize if I was insulting. I did not intend to insult the Church of Latterday Saints. To tell you the truth, LDS are one of the nicest Christian groups I know of.