1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joseph and Mary were cousins? - say it wasn't so

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Pah, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Pah

Pah Uber all member

From an article in the Catholic Encyclopedia

2. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Judaism
    Who's on 1st?

3. Pah

Pah Uber all member

I don't know - fields the hot ones

4. HelpMe

HelpMe ·´sociopathic meanderer`·

kmart.

5. Pah

Pah Uber all member

That doesn't seem to be in the same philosophical vein as Deut's answer which is also much more witty. At least, I answered in kind.

Bob

6. Lightkeeper

Lightkeeper Well-Known Member

Since, God is the father of Jesus, I guess it wouldn't matter if Joseph and Mary were first cousins. Joseph might have gotten to first base, but didn't bring it home.:)

7. Scott1

Scott1 New Member

Maybe this helps more to explain Mary's perpetual Virginity than anything else!:eek:

8. Pah

Pah Uber all member

But what about brother James?

Bob

9. cvipertooth

cvipertooth New Member

If we all came from the same two people arent we all cousins?

10. may

may New Member

If tradition is correct, Heli’s wife, the mother of Mary, was Anna, whose sister had a daughter named Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptizer. This tradition would make Elizabeth the cousin of Mary. That Mary was related to Elizabeth, who was "from the daughters of Aaron" of the tribe of Levi, the Scriptures themselves state. (Lu 1:5, 36) Mary’s sister, some have thought, was Salome, the wife of Zebedee, whose two sons, James and John, were numbered among Jesus’ apostles.—Mt 27:55, 56; Mr 15:40; 16:1; Joh 19:25.

11. t3gah

t3gah New Member

I was thinking this very same thought the other day when I first saw this thread. The question really should be for Joseph and Mary, "how close?"

As to the part of Mary being a virgin. What about the scripture below?

WEB (World English Bible)

[size=-1]Matthew 13:55
    Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother called Mary, and his brothers, James, Joses, Simon, and Judas? [/size][size=-1][/size]​

12. fragmentsofdreams

fragmentsofdreams New Member

There are three theories about this:

1. They actually are Jesus' brothers. Mary and Joseph had children after Jesus.

2. They are the children of Joseph and a deceased wife. This comes from the Protoevangelium of James (circa 120). An old Joseph is chosen to protect the virginity of Mary, who has been dedicated. The absence of Joseph after Jesus's childhood suggests his death, which would be explained if he was old at Jesus's birth.

3. They are Jesus's cousins. It is my understanding that Aramaic uses the same word for cousin and brother. When writing the Gospels in Greek, the authors chose the incorrect word to translate it.

Scott1 likes this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted