• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jorge Mario Bergoglio says evolution and big Bang are real

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Big Bang Theory and Theory of Evolution or the Theory of Everything, depending on context.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Ponder this:
IF "God" made a man and a woman and stopped with that pair.
Being a man and woman they had sex and gave birth to children
as the Bible says.
With that small gene pool why do we have so many different humans?
Oriental, white, black, red, yellow, skin tones etc.?
If we sprang from the original pair then all of us here are distant
cousins.

rusra02

Premium Member
BTW: looks like you were right in one respect: the stars weren't thought to be holes in the solid dome of the sky; they were objects hung from the dome.

Makes sense: holes in the dome would let the water leak out.
Such nonsensical ideas did not come from the Holy Scriptures.

rusra02

Premium Member
Well, it is.

So, you believe Timothy?

Their number might have increased by 100% last year. Which is an impressive growth. From one, to two. Or similar figures. How many of them are called Steve?

All they have to do is present the evidence. If they did, there would be no retribution, whatever you mean by that. Nobody takes anybody seriously, just because they have doubts, if any.

In the case of evolution, there have been many spinning of the world in its long history. Still not seing anyone wearing any pants.

With the evidence on the table, disbelieving evolution is equivalent to believe that the earth is flat.

Ciao

- viole
It must be disconcerting to those evolutionists who seek to quash any dissent from their propaganda that an Internet search reveals the truth that;
There are a considerable number of biologists and other scientists who outright reject the theory of macro evolution, publicly.
There is also considerable evidence that those scientists or academics who speak out against evolution do so at the risk of career and tenure.
The scientific evidence against the ToE is increasing.

metis

The scientific evidence against the ToE is increasing.
Could you post some of this supposed "evidence"?

Incremental changes in genes negates the concept that evolution must miraculously stop prior to hitting the "macro-evolution" line. Even if one understands little about genetics, it just stands to common sense that the process can and does continue. And if there was any doubt about that, the genome testing that's being done as we post confirms this process.

IMO, it is important to separate science and medieval superstition, which is one big reason why I left the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in. Religion definitely does have something to offer, but any religion that denies the reality of science should be regarded as being bogus.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Such nonsensical ideas did not come from the Holy Scriptures.
Sure they didn't.
2 the vault of heaven, or 'firmament,' regarded by Hebrews as solid, and supporting 'waters' above it, Genesis 1:6,7 (3 t. in verse); Genesis 1:8 (called שָׁמַיַם; all P), Psalm 19:2 ("" הַשָּׁמַיַם),׳זֹהַר הָר Daniel 12:3; also ׳ר הַשָּׁמִיִםGenesis 1:14,15,17, ׳הַשּׁ ׳עַלמְּֿנֵי רGenesis 1:20 (all P). **רְקִיעַ עֻזּוֺ Psalm 150:1 (suffix reference to ׳י).
Strong's Hebrew: 7549. רָקִ֫יעַ (raqia) -- an extended surface, expanse

BTW: called it.
... just as I'm sure you're about to tell us how the Bible never really said that the sky is a solid dome.

gnostic

The Lost One
Thank you so much for edjmacating me.:D

For simplicity I'll just blame it all on God.
God did it.
Doesn't that sound like "superstition" to you?

"God did it" sounds like superstition to me.

Superstitions of the supernatural (like creating something from nothing but with some magical words or believing in unverifiable miracles) is based on fear and ignorance.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Hey gnostic.
It was a joke.

Gnos·tic
(nŏs′tĭk)
adj.
1. gnostic Of, relating to, or possessing intellectual or spiritual knowledge.

gnostic as a web site name doesn't suit you very well either.

gnostic

The Lost One
Hey gnostic.
It was a joke.

Gnos·tic
(nŏs′tĭk)
adj.
1. gnostic Of, relating to, or possessing intellectual or spiritual knowledge.

gnostic as a web site name doesn't suit you very well either.
I am agnostic.

I used to read gnostic texts from the Nag Hammadi codices. Hence one of the reasons why I chose the name "gnostic". The other reason is that I used to be a member of another forum at islam dot com (in 2003-2004), where someone else had already taken the name "agnostic".

I used to referred to avatar Religion status here at RF as "gnostic agnostic". It is a contradiction, but I like paradox - a paradox inspired by gnostic text "The Thunder, Perfect Mind".

rusra02

Premium Member
Could you post some of this supposed "evidence"?

Incremental changes in genes negates the concept that evolution must miraculously stop prior to hitting the "macro-evolution" line. Even if one understands little about genetics, it just stands to common sense that the process can and does continue. And if there was any doubt about that, the genome testing that's being done as we post confirms this process.

IMO, it is important to separate science and medieval superstition, which is one big reason why I left the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in. Religion definitely does have something to offer, but any religion that denies the reality of science should be regarded as being bogus.

The discovery of DNA and the information expressed in it's chemical code.
Molecular machines capable of creating proteins.
Command and control systems within the cell.
The sudden appearance of virtually all known body forms during the Cambrian explosion.
The lack of supposed intermediate life forms in the fossil record.
The generally destructive affects of mutations.
Irreducible complexity of living organisms and functionsl

metis

The discovery of DNA and the information expressed in it's chemical code.
Molecular machines capable of creating proteins.
Command and control systems within the cell.
The sudden appearance of virtually all known body forms during the Cambrian explosion.
The lack of supposed intermediate life forms in the fossil record.
The generally destructive affects of mutations.
Irreducible complexity of living organisms and functionsl
DNA is the major construct of genes but are not genes themselves, the latter of which we well know evolves. Most mutations are harmful, and they tend to get weeded out, but the beneficial ones have a greater chance of being carried forth. The Cambrian Explosion has been explained many times before, plus it simply does not in any way fit into the Genesis narrative. The concept of "irreducible complexity" is both illogical, plus it doesn't fit into either what we know from the fossil record and the genome testing. All life forms are "intermediate forms" unless the species goes extinct.

If what you say were to be correct, then why is it that geneticists, for just one example, are pretty much uniform in their agreement that the basic ToE is indeed the reality? They know because that is their area of expertise.

But one thing that the YEC fabrications do accomplish is to make the religion or denomination appear to be "out there". I was brought up in one of those fundamentalist Protestant denominations that was anti-science, so I know from experience how their brainwashing techniques are done and why they are appealing to some. You may not like the word "brainwashing", but let me tell ya that this is exactly what it is.

Therefore, between your denomination's approach on this versus the RCC's acceptance of the basic ToE as long as there's he belief that God was behind it, which is much more sensible? They accept known science, but your denomination rejects it. They accept the overwhelming evidence, but your denomination doesn't. They accept reality-- your doesn't.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
DNA is the major construct of genes but are not genes themselves, the latter of which we well know evolves. Most mutations are harmful, and they tend to get weeded out, but the beneficial ones have a greater chance of being carried forth. The Cambrian Explosion has been explained many times before, plus it simply does not in any way fit into the Genesis narrative. The concept of "irreducible complexity" is both illogical, plus it doesn't fit into either what we know from the fossil record and the genome testing. All life forms are "intermediate forms" unless the species goes extinct.

If what you say were to be correct, then why is it that geneticists, for just one example, are pretty much uniform in their agreement that the basic ToE is indeed the reality? They know because that is their area of expertise.

But one thing that the YEC fabrications do accomplish is to make the religion or denomination appear to be "out there". I was brought up in one of those fundamentalist Protestant denominations that was anti-science, so I know from experience how their brainwashing techniques are done and why they are appealing to some. You may not like the word "brainwashing", but let me tell ya that this is exactly what it is.

Therefore, between your denomination's approach on this versus the RCC's acceptance of the basic ToE as long as there's he belief that God was behind it, which is much more sensible? They accept known science, but your denomination rejects it. They accept the overwhelming evidence, but your denomination doesn't. They accept reality-- your doesn't.
I agree that YECs are not correct in their unscriptural assertion that the earth and all life was created in 6 24-hour days. I do not agree that rejection of the ToE is anti-science. I believe a significant and growing number of scientists are publicly questioning, and some outrightly rejecting the theory of evolution. Many others, out of justified fear for their careers and livelihood, are afraid to speak publicly, but harbor doubts, IMO. As for the churches espousing the ToE, this is one more evidence to me that they are as described in the Bible; "They publicly declare that they know God, but they disown him by their works, because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort." (Titus 1:16)

metis

I agree that YECs are not correct in their unscriptural assertion that the earth and all life was created in 6 24-hour days. I do not agree that rejection of the ToE is anti-science. I believe a significant and growing number of scientists are publicly questioning, and some outrightly rejecting the theory of evolution. Many others, out of justified fear for their careers and livelihood, are afraid to speak publicly, but harbor doubts, IMO. As for the churches espousing the ToE, this is one more evidence to me that they are as described in the Bible; "They publicly declare that they know God, but they disown him by their works, because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort." (Titus 1:16)
It's really quite "telling" that you feel that all these scientists are "on the take" and that the churches that accept the reality of the ToE are "detestable and disobedient". It's attitudes like that which make me all so happy that I left that kind of mindset almost 50 years ago.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"An extended surface, expanse."
Expanse:
1. an uninterrupted space or area; a wide extent of anything:
an expanse of water.
2.something that is spread out, especially over a relatively large area:
that great expanse, the sky.
In this case, "expanse" in the sense of a sheet of metal that has been hammered out to make it wider.