• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jorge Mario Bergoglio says evolution and big Bang are real

rusra02

Premium Member
First of all he appears to disagree with Paul. And Paul is not equal Jesus.

Second, I do not see anything in that passage against evolution.

Ciao

- viole
The quote from Romans shows we need to trust God rather than the shifting theories of men. Jesus believed and taught that God created the first man and woman, quoting from Genesis: "In reply he said: “Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female." (Matthew 19:4, Genesis 1:27)

rusra02

Premium Member
Yes, but that book is 2000 years old. Science has come a long way since then.
The Pope is accepting the inevitable.
That might be true if the Bible is a book authored by men. I believe that "all Scripture is inspired of God" and therefore contains the truth. (2 Timothy 3:16,17) A growing group of scientists are publicly questioning the evidence for the ToE. I believe many more harbor private doubts, but fear retribution if they speak out. Was it Churchill who said; "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

rusra02

Premium Member
Christian leaders have been disagreeing with the Scriptures ever since they acknowledged that the sky isn't a solid dome and the stars aren't holes in it.

Give it time: in a few centuries, we'll have people arguing that the Bible never really supported creationism... just as I'm sure you're about to tell us how the Bible never really said that the sky is a solid dome.
Isaiah 40:26 says; "Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing." I don't think Jehovah names holes in the heavens, do you?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Isaiah 40:26 says; "Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing." I don't think Jehovah names holes in the heavens, do you?
I was specifically referring to "the firmament" described in Genesis:

The Firmament of Genesis 1 is Solid but That’s Not the Point

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
BTW: looks like you were right in one respect: the stars weren't thought to be holes in the solid dome of the sky; they were objects hung from the dome.

Makes sense: holes in the dome would let the water leak out.

Altfish

Veteran Member
That might be true if the Bible is a book authored by men. I believe that "all Scripture is inspired of God" and therefore contains the truth. (2 Timothy 3:16,17) A growing group of scientists are publicly questioning the evidence for the ToE. I believe many more harbor private doubts, but fear retribution if they speak out. Was it Churchill who said; "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
Well, I'm pleased for you and your beliefs.
Who are these scientists? Have you heard of 'Project Steve', here read about it ...
Project Steve - Wikipedia
It is not retribution that awaits someone who disproves the ToE; it is a Nobel Prize, fame and fortune. But there is more chance of me winning the lottery 2-weeks running.

ahamtatsat

The Stranger
Are we all impressed yet? i mean - the man (MAN!) IS famous, and HAS a (get a hold of ourselves) TITLE! Claims to have spiritual infallibility - but we see no proofs, and the proofs of the day were circular logic. You know - i am infallible. Q: why should we think so now? A: Because i am in fallible, so stating that i am infallible could not be a mistake.

This is one tiny little mind's opinion - out of more than 7,000,000,000 minds. i would listen more closely to an Amazonian shaman, or Lakota Holy man, or a Hindu Saddhu than him for what it's worth.

The Bible was written as metaphor, simile, parable, and to be interpreted in the context of what Hindu say is "Desha, Kala, Patra." Time, place, circumstance.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Are we all impressed yet? i mean - the man (MAN!) IS famous, and HAS a (get a hold of ourselves) TITLE! Claims to have spiritual infallibility - but we see no proofs, and the proofs of the day were circular logic. You know - i am infallible. Q: why should we think so now? A: Because i am in fallible, so stating that i am infallible could not be a mistake.

Papal infallibility doesn't mean that everything the Pope says is supposed to have no errors; it only applies under very specific circumstances and has never been used by the current Pope (or several before him):

There is no set list of ex cathedra teachings, but that’s because there are only two, and both are about Mary: her Immaculate Conception (declared by Pope Pius IX in 1854 and grandfathered in after the First Vatican Council’s declaration of papal infallibility in 1870) and her bodily Assumption into heaven (declared by Pope Pius XII in 1950).

Is there a list of infallible teachings?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Can a pope be impeached?
The irony is that a pope can literally be executed by the church itself if he teaches "ex cathedra" that which turned out to be clearly wrong. However, that's an old provision under Canon Law that would not today ever be enforced-- I think. :eek:

Underhill

The irony is that a pope can literally be executed by the church itself if he teaches "ex cathedra" that which turned out to be clearly wrong. However, that's an old provision under Canon Law that would not today ever be enforced-- I think. :eek:

I hope you're right. I can imagine a lot of people aren't real happy with him right now.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That might be true if the Bible is a book authored by men.

Well, it is.

I believe that "all Scripture is inspired of God" and therefore contains the truth. (2 Timothy 3:16,17)

So, you believe Timothy?

A growing group of scientists are publicly questioning the evidence for the ToE.

Their number might have increased by 100% last year. Which is an impressive growth. From one, to two. Or similar figures. How many of them are called Steve?

I believe many more harbor private doubts, but fear retribution if they speak out.

All they have to do is present the evidence. If they did, there would be no retribution, whatever you mean by that. Nobody takes anybody seriously, just because they have doubts, if any.

Was it Churchill who said; "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

In the case of evolution, there have been many spinning of the world in its long history. Still not seing anyone wearing any pants.

With the evidence on the table, disbelieving evolution is equivalent to believe that the earth is flat.

Ciao

- viole

David T

Premium Member
You have a weird assumption that they understAnd the topic!!! Little evidence of that really.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

Augustine of Hippo wrote an essay on Biblical interpretation, which I can vaguely remember. He said that prophets were called to teach religion and morals; when they spoke about other things, they were not inspired because they didn't need to be.

On Genesis, he said that all that was needed was "God created heaven and Earth", and the rest was literary decoration. To believe that the process took 144 hours over 6 sessions was, he said, childish.

He concluded that there are certain things in the sciences that are known beyond reasonable doubt and to deny them because a Biblical author was ignorant of them was to make a fool of yourself and a mockery of religion.

So, the Pope is simply following the teachings of a saint from 16 centuries ago. What a pity the fundies don't read the Fathers!

whirlingmerc

On the other hand RC Sproul says 'the big bang is like a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat... without a rabbit... and... without a hat.... and.... without a magician"

"Who doesn't believe in evolution" says Nancy Pearcy but meaning it depends what you mean. A creationary orchard of created animal types? Animals and man significantly changed by the fall? or the flood of Noah? I personally do not accept Darwinian, Huxleyan or Lamarkian evolution and don't see sufficient evidence

metis

I personally do not accept Darwinian, Huxleyan or Lamarkian evolution and don't see sufficient evidence
There's actually more than enough objectively-derived evidence for the basic ToE, but try and find some objectively-derived evidence that our universe was created by one deity.

metis

So, the Pope is simply following the teachings of a saint from 16 centuries ago. What a pity the fundies don't read the Fathers!
Nor do they tend to read scientific texts on the matter, and the surveys confirm this.