• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jorge Mario Bergoglio says evolution and big Bang are real

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So now what are Christians to do with Matthew 19:3-5?

"And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, 'Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?' He answered, 'Have you not read that He who made them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh?""

?

Kirran

Premium Member

"And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, 'Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?' He answered, 'Have you not read that He who made them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh?""

?

He made them from the beginning i.e. He is the originator of Creation.
He made them male and female i.e. via the processes he set in play and upholds they have been made male and female.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
He made them from the beginning i.e. He is the originator of Creation.
He made them male and female i.e. via the processes he set in play and upholds they have been made male and female.
Pity Jesus, apparently G-d himself, never mentioned this?

Oh well, this isn't my issue.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Acim

Revelation all the time
Pope also said:

The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it.

rusra02

Premium Member
The Pope appears to disagree with Jesus Christ, and the rest of he Holy Scriptures. I believe it is as written in Romans 3:3,4; "What, then, is the case? If some lacked faith, will their lack of faith invalidate the faithfulness of God? Certainly not! But let God be found true, even if every man be found a liar."

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Catholicism has officially accepted evolutionary theory (there's even theological arguments to get around the issue of our species descending from one physical mating pair) for over half a century and it was a Catholic priest who helped to propose the Big Bang. So I don't see how this is a surprise.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The Pope appears to disagree with Jesus Christ, and the rest of he Holy Scriptures. I believe it is as written in Romans 3:3,4; "What, then, is the case? If some lacked faith, will their lack of faith invalidate the faithfulness of God? Certainly not! But let God be found true, even if every man be found a liar."

First of all he appears to disagree with Paul. And Paul is not equal Jesus.

Second, I do not see anything in that passage against evolution.

Ciao

- viole

Altfish

Veteran Member
Yes, but that book is 2000 years old. Science has come a long way since then.
The Pope is accepting the inevitable.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The acceptance of the basic ToE by the RCC goes back to my early childhood, which leads me into a true story that happened to me starting back in 1960.

I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church and actually had thoughts about going into the ministry. However, my parents were "museum freaks", and I went with them to various natural science museums, including one at the University of Michigan and another at the Smithsonian in D.C. The displayed evidence for evolution was impressive, so I asked my pastor if one could believe in both evolution and the Bible, and he said no and that one had to accept either one or the other. That left me confused.

During the following summer, one day I was practicing bowling at lanes not too far from my home, and the alleys were full as I was bowling, and I noticed there was a Catholic priest behind me who was waiting for an alley to open. I told him I was just practicing and would he want to join me, and he said he would. We bowled a couple of games, and then we left and he thanked me for letting him join in. As we were outside, he noticed that I was walking with my bowling ball, and he asked me if I wanted a ride, I agreed that would be nice.

As he was driving me home, I asked him what the Catholic church's position was on the ToE, and he said there was no problem with accepting it as long as it was understood that God was behind it all. Now I was even more confused.

During my freshman year at college, I started out in biology and physical education (ended up in neither, btw), and what I learned in my first bio classes assured me that there definitely was an evolutionary process, so this resulted in my not attending any of the church services at the denomination I grew up in. In my sophomore year, I did fall in love with an Italian Catholic, went to service with her, which I found very interesting but not to the point of seeking conversion. When we broke up, I stopped attending, but still had some fond memories of both the church and her. I even took two Catholic theology classes at the university, which I thought I'd never use. Was I wrong!!!

My point with this is that I came to believe that any religion or denomination that can't accept even the most basic truth, like the basic ToE, is not a religion/denomination that I want anything to do with. I went on to take some anthropology classes, fell in love with the subject, and eventually went on to grad school in that subject area. I then went on to teach the subject for roughly 30 years.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Christian leaders have been disagreeing with the Scriptures ever since they acknowledged that the sky isn't a solid dome and the stars aren't holes in it.

Give it time: in a few centuries, we'll have people arguing that the Bible never really supported creationism... just as I'm sure you're about to tell us how the Bible never really said that the sky is a solid dome.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes, but that book is 2000 years old. Science has come a long way since then.
The Pope is accepting the inevitable.
But it does go well back prior to this pope. One of the most interesting Catholic theologians and anthropologist (ph.d.) was Fr. Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who was an expert on Homo erectus going back prior to WWII.

BTW, Chardin's theology is very interesting to say the least, and I even took a seminar on him in the early 1980's.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

?

Accept as allegorical or just toss in the trash.