• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan Peterson is an SJW after all

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
I laughed at first, amusing myself with the prospect of this hypocrisy.

But then I became more sombre, as I reflected upon the fact that his besotted young disciples will simply shrug this off as yet another example of their Grand Master being "misunderstood" or purposefully maligned by the neo-Marxist, feminist, leftist mainstream media who are out to stifle freedom of thought in their attempt to render all humanity a collectivist bloc of postmodernist automatons...or something pseudo-intellectual to that effect.

For a free-thinking crowd, the "lobsters" sure do come away with some of the most conspiracy-nonsense group-think going.

Duke_Leto

Haha. So not only is he suing them for offensive speech, but he's suing the university and the professors involved for having a private conversation which just happened to be secretly recorded. Apparently private conversations are libel, because someone might record them!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Pretty disappointing that someone who has supposedly stood behind free speech for so long turns out to be rabidly against it when someone accuses him of the most cliche thing ever, something that is so over used it's lost its potency as an insult.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Do you think some of the claimed anti-intellectualism of the last few years might have some roots in examples of intellectuals like this?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The article says that Peterson is suing for defamation. Very few people argue for absolute "free speech". There are laws on the books against defamation, libel, slander, and inciting imminent violence.

There is a big difference between criticizing ideas and defamation.
This suit is in Canuckistan, so I don't know how the law treats such defamation.
But here, defamation is legal when it's non-factual. The reasonable person test
wouldn't find a comparison with Hitler as having substance. It's just like when I call
@Quetzal a "poopy head", ie, no one expects to find actual poop on his head (usually).
Contrast this with falsely claiming that someone is a felon....that could be proven
or disproven.

David T

Premium Member
Do you think some of the claimed anti-intellectualism of the last few years might have some roots in examples of intellectuals like this?
That's actually a very good post topic. I have Concerns about literacy. If I say that it can be transliterated into anti literate.

We tend to transliterate into what we understand in relationship to what other people are saying. Especially as the topic is closer to home so to speak.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Haha. So not only is he suing them for offensive speech, but he's suing the university and the professors involved for having a private conversation which just happened to be secretly recorded. Apparently private conversations are libel, because someone might record them!
Like an informant with a wire? It's hilarious the way people are getting exposed everyday for saying things they don't really mean for themselves.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This suit is in Canuckistan, so I don't know how the law treats such defamation.
But here, defamation is legal when it's non-factual. The reasonable person test
wouldn't find a comparison with Hitler as having substance. It's just like when I call
@Quetzal a "poopy head", ie, no one expects to find actual poop on his head (usually).
Contrast this with falsely claiming that someone is a felon....that could be proven
or disproven.

Looks like he is trying to add his support a student he saw as being bullied. I guess his compassion got the better of him.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The "private" conversation was recorded by Lindsay Shepard during her grilling by three Laurier university thought police for her daring to use a clip in a class she was giving that had Peterson as one of several featured speakers in it. There was no comment about anyone else in the clip. Lindsay Shepard recorded the conversation for her own protection as she was smart enough to understand that something seriously weird was going to take place during this demanded meeting with her direct superior and two others.

The "private" conversation was a semi-official tongue-lashing by university officials who decided, among themselves, that Ms. Shepard had not disowned Peterson enough before inflicting his comments on fellow students without a suitable warning. Upon learning of this the university, to its credit, did clip these official's wings and said that they had themselves gone too far and that the university did not sanction their actions or comments. However, the university did put them in positions of authority and those individual acted on what they saw as being their entitled mandate... so it's a bit grey from the university's side of the equation. If you empower some nutjobs to do a given task can you really be surprised when then act like nutjobs?

I have actually listened to the conversation between the four people several times and the whole conversation is far more than chilling.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I laughed at first, amusing myself with the prospect of this hypocrisy.

But then I became more sombre, as I reflected upon the fact that his besotted young disciples will simply shrug this off as yet another example of their Grand Master being "misunderstood" or purposefully maligned by the neo-Marxist, feminist, leftist mainstream media who are out to stifle freedom of thought in their attempt to render all humanity a collectivist bloc of postmodernist automatons...or something pseudo-intellectual to that effect.

For a free-thinking crowd, the "lobsters" sure do come away with some of the most conspiracy-nonsense group-think going.
Your comments sound to me like they are coming from someone who has not actually spent any time listening to what the good doctor is actually saying but is relying on the "neo-Marxist, feminist, leftist mainstream media's" caricature of Peterson instead. Holy strawman, Batman!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Your comments sound to me like they are coming from someone who has not actually spent any time listening to what the good doctor is actually saying but is relying on the "neo-Marxist, feminist, leftist mainstream media's" caricature of Peterson instead. Holy strawman, Batman!
You left out "intersectional".

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member

I was being facetious, although I am admittedly not a fanboy of the good doctor.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Whew. I'm glad to hear that because your comments were far below your normal intellectual province. :)

The giveaway should have been my end remark, "or something pseudo-intellectual to that effect". :p

Jordan Peterson seems to combine some perfectly sound and fatherly advice to young men looking for a role model, albeit indebted to pre-existent wisdom traditions (both ancient and contemporary) with clinical psychology thrown into the mix.

He tells people to get their own "house" in order before attempting to change the world or critique others. Fair enough.

He is likewise emphatic in stressing how, "most of the meaning that people manage in their lives – that would be the meaning that you could offset against the tragedy of life – comes from adopting responsibility, and carrying a load." Again, fair enough.

But then he comes away with an arcane heroic 'masculinity' mythos, strident opposition to left-wing identity politics, religious mysticism, Jungian archetypes, biblical exegesis and Nietzsche. An example would be when someone asked him his views regarding 'Brexit'. Instead of dwelling on issues of economics, sovereignty or immigration...he started babbling on about the Tower of Babel from the Book of Genesis. o_O

It's too much of a heady brew for me, if I'm being honest. And the social dominance hierarchy paradigm (or competency hierarchy as he sometimes calls it) seriously overestimates the scientific evidence in its favour.

Agriculture and the cultivation of cereal grains precipitated social hierarchies. For nigh on 100,000 humanity had hunted and foraged in largely egalitarian bands, until agriculture compelled them to fear scarcity during drought or famine and to generate food surpluses. As one scholar, Suzman writes, “the sum of individual self-interest and the jealousy that policed it was a fiercely egalitarian society where profitable exchange, hierarchy, and significant material inequality were not tolerated.

His appeal to the alleged 'naturalness' of social dominance hierarchies also commits the "is/ought" fallacy raised by Hume during the enlightenment.

I also find his critique of feminism and identity politics seriously wanting, personally.

But I do recognize his broad appeal and commend his advocacy of individualism, self-reliance and shouldering of burdens. Evidently, the widespread nature of the Peterson phenomenon tells us that we are dealing with a generational problem: a crisis of young male identity that has made them susceptible to grand, sweeping meta-narratives and which JP has adroitly tapped into.

So, in truth, there are areas where I strongly disagree with him; points where I concur but largely I just find his ideas a bit of an intellectual muddle that is neither fish nor fowl.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Evergreen College eat your heart out...

Private conversation now public conversation.... Inquiring ears want to know...

Here...