• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jon Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity"

Zoness

I was helping one of my friend's dad do a roofing job so I could make money to go. Although I did find out after the fact that the director of a play I'm in was wanting to go, and would liked to have went with me if she would have known I was going. She was even gonna help with gas and she has family in the area that would have let us sleep there, rather than sleeping in my car at a rest park like I done.

Sounds pretty lucky, I don't have family who lives out East most of them are in the midwest or out west otherwise I would of went to stay with someone, probably would of caught a train out of Chicago or something.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I must admit that it was a somewhat heartwarming gathering of the politically naive.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I must admit that it was a somewhat heartwarming gathering of the politically naive.
What advice do you have for us poor intellectually lost sheep wandering in the political wilderness, oh Great One?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What advice do you have for us poor intellectually lost sheep wandering in the political wilderness, oh Great One?
Not focusing on the message of comedians, might be helpful, but that might be asking a lot from the Nintendo generation.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Not focusing on the message of comedians, might be helpful, but that might be asking a lot from the Nintendo generation.

You comments in this thread are just plain stupid. Please take your misplaced condescension elsewhere, or better yet, just get rid of it. It only makes you look worse.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would say that for the most part there were alot of people who were anything but politically naive.

I am surprised that you aren't the type that would focus on the contents of the message, rather than on who is giving it. That is the reason Thomas Paine published "Common Sense" anonymously, because the message is more important than the person delivering it. If you take the time to really think about what Stewart said, it was a very good speech. It wasn't anything that isn't widely known, such as cable news networks being to blame for dividing our nation, but he also had some very good points, such as when he said these are hard times, not end times. And his bit about us getting over our petty differences and working together was dead on.
As for the Nintendo generation, I was there, but the crowd was very diverse not only in religion and political standings, but there was also a very wide range of age groups present, including people who are old enough to be the grand parents of the "Nintendo generation."

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You comments in this thread are just plain stupid. Please take your misplaced condescension elsewhere, or better yet, just get rid of it. It only makes you look worse.
Coming from you, I take that as a great compliment. Thank you.

no-body

Satire can be a very powerful statement. I could be wrong but creating a parody of a rally seems unprecedented and clever.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I love this woman attacking the guy for asking if Obama is Keynesian...

[youtube]rnpuEx6bzy4[/youtube]

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I love this woman attacking the guy for asking if Obama is Keynesian...

[youtube]rnpuEx6bzy4[/youtube]

Yeah, I saw that on another forum. I wasn't really impressed. It was sort of a stupid thing to use as a "gotcha". There's a bit from Howard Stern that was brought up in another thread here recently, where someone asked some Obama supporters before the presidential election what they thought of his vice president, Sarah Palin, and they agreed that they liked her. That was funny (in a sad way), but this was just meh.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
:facepalm: Get over yourself. I really wish you could see what an *** you sound like to everyone else.
You must try to understand, mball1297, I don't give a rat's hindquarters what "everyone else" thinks. So you speak for "everyone else" now? How quaint a notion is that? Besides... you might mull this over a bit... I am perfectly aware of how my comments will be received. They are quite deliberate, I assure you.

Wannabe Yogi

Really? I had no idea that I was the "modern equivalent of the Oracle at Delphi". I guess I didn't get that memo either.

I just prefer the old fashion Oracles... you know... a young hot priestess scanty dressed writhing on the floor. It just makes religion so much more fun.

gnomon

It was a bit rich having Yusaf Islam/Cat Stevens on singing "Peace Train". That was the best they could dig up? A man who supported the fatwa against Salmon Rushdie and this is somehow about "restoring sanity"? Oh... the irony...

You're not the only one who thought this.

Signs at the Rally

LOL. Check out the Muslimah on #22. She's representing.

slide_12644_169716_large.jpg

Oh jeez.

Stewart and Colbert are entertainers. I like to watch their shows. I agree with Stewart's slamming of the mainstream media. But that was pretty much it. But I would not have expected anything more.

So in a sense I think you are right.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You must try to understand, mball1297, I don't give a rat's hindquarters what "everyone else" thinks.

Yes, you've made that perfectly clear.

So you speak for "everyone else" now? How quaint a notion is that?

I don't know that it's quaint, but it's true. And, by the way, I know you care at least a bit about what others think, since in one conversation we had a long time ago, you brought up how many frubals you had gotten from members like Doppelganger.

Besides... you might mull this over a bit... I am perfectly aware of how my comments will be received. They are quite deliberate, I assure you.

I'm sure. My point is your comments are idiotic, and show misguided condescension (the "misguided" part being the key). You like to think of yourself as so much better than everyone, but in reality you just don't really understand things. So, keep your head in the sand, and keep on pretending that everyone else is beneath you. Have fun with that. I'll have fun over here in reality.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Stewart and Colbert are entertainers. I like to watch their shows. I agree with Stewart's slamming of the mainstream media. But that was pretty much it. But I would not have expected anything more.

So in a sense I think you are right.

Which part do you think he's right about? That the people at the rally were naive? My question is how many people at the rally do you think didn't realize that Stewart and Colbert are entertainers?

I just fail to understand where the "naivete" comes in here. There's nothing naive about having fun at a rally that makes fun of the political stupidity that's going on in this country. There's nothing naive about realizing that the rally is put on by entertainers, and is more than anything a fun get-together. There's nothing naive about realizing that it's sad when a comedian is more reasonable about politics than 90% of politicians and pundits.

So, you go ahead and continue thinking these people are naive, as if you're better than them. I'll keep understanding reality. (If I mistook your meaning, please correct me and accept my apologies.)

gnomon

Which part do you think he's right about? That the people at the rally were naive? My question is how many people at the rally do you think didn't realize that Stewart and Colbert are entertainers?

I just fail to understand where the "naivete" comes in here. There's nothing naive about having fun at a rally that makes fun of the political stupidity that's going on in this country. There's nothing naive about realizing that the rally is put on by entertainers, and is more than anything a fun get-together. There's nothing naive about realizing that it's sad when a comedian is more reasonable about politics than 90% of politicians and pundits.

So, you go ahead and continue thinking these people are naive, as if you're better than them. I'll keep understanding reality. (If I mistook your meaning, please correct me and accept my apologies.)

Jesus Christ.