• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John's Word: Did Jesus create the world?

Did Jesus(aka Word) create the world? (John 1:1-5)

• Yes

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • No, I do not believe in this verse

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

gnostic

The Lost One
When we come across the Biblical creation, we normally usually assume we are talking about the few chapters of the Genesis. God created the world, creature and man in 6 days, and then narrative about Adam and Eve.

The Christians also believed in the New Testament, particularly what is found in the Gospel according to John, chapter 1, verses 1-18. It associate the Word (as well as the Light) with Jesus.

Now that not unusual. Authors in the past and present, have long compared figure or character with animals (eg. strong like lion), with elements (eg. she ran like the wind) or even with inanimated objects. The Egyptians have compared and associated their gods with certain animals, eg. Horus as falcon, Wadjet with cobra, etc.

What John says:

Word is Jesus; this is implied with God was made flesh and lived among them (humans). [1:14]

It says that the Word is God (which is the reason why some Christians believed that Jesus is God), and the Word is with God. [1:1]

The Word is God's "only begotten son". [1:18] (Which to my mind, contradicts Word being God from 1:1; can a father be a son?)

Word existed before the world was ever created. [1:2]

And that the Word was involved in the creation: [1:3]

John 1:3 said:
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Well, I want to a poll on John's version.

Do you believe what John wrote literally? That Jesus have existed before the creation, and was involved with the creation?

Or do you believe that can only be understood as a metaphor?

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
Damn! :mad:

I wanted to do a poll for this thread, but press the Post Reply button by mistake, without checking the poll checkbox. :(

gnostic

The Lost One
There's a delete button for this post here (and post #2), between "Go Advanced" and "Cancel", but the same button doesn't appear in my OP.

Perhaps, one of the moderators can delete it for me.

Last edited:

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Do you believe what John wrote literally? That Jesus have existed before the creation, and was involved with the creation?

Or do you believe that can only be understood as a metaphor?

Absolutely, the secular world will claim much of the gospel's and eptisles are all metaphor's.
We must remember that both Jesus and John spoke in the book of John
Jhn 17:5And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was

Ronald

I vote "Other".

The word of God was not Jesus until He/Yeshua was born of Mariam. The word was made flesh and dwelt amomg us.
Y H V H was still in his abode answering the prayers of Yeshua and all the others for the 30 some odd years of Jesus's earthly existance.
Dr. Blizzard uses the water analogy, Yeshua is a glass of water, but not all the water there is. Yeshua admits He is at least one drop short of Y H V H (i.e.) Mr 13:32 "But of that day or that hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

BTW, He has a new name, not likely it will be Jesus!

gnostic

The Lost One
roli said:
Absolutely, the secular world will claim much of the gospel's and eptisles are all metaphor's.

So you believe that Jesus was the actual creator of the world, as stated in John 1:1-18, literally?

Do you also believe in the Genesis 1, literally, too? (eg. Creation in 6 days? light created before the sun and moon?)

If you believe one literally and the other metaphorically, can you explain why?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
So you believe that Jesus was the actual creator of the world, as stated in John 1:1-18, literally?

Do you also believe in the Genesis 1, literally, too? (eg. Creation in 6 days? light created before the sun and moon?)

I believe he was part of the creation process,along side of the Holy Spirit and God
Jesus was the light,life that came into the world with God

Elessar

Since I, as a modalist, believe that Yeshua was a form of G-d incarnate in human form - then yes.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yes - Jesus was the Word and the Word was with God in the beginning. And Jesus created the world at God's direction.

Troublemane

As the "word" is not present in Genesis, I'd have to say John was embellishing history, rather poetically, and that it was probably added much later, long after Jesus was gone. John's gospel is after all, the last one written, and has the most mythopoetic language.

In my opinion, Jesus was not even thought of when the Septuagint was written, much less back when the world was formed....4 billion years ago. :D

gnostic

The Lost One
Is John the only gospel that referred to him as the Word and the Light?

I only recall John make such reference, and with regards to the Light, both in chapter 1, and later in another chapter (though I don't remember which).

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you, Mister Emu for the poll.
smile.gif
...and for your patience with me.
Very welcome ;) Thanks for your patience with my continual fouling up the wording ;)

For what it is worth, I take John 1 literally...

The Bible pretty much tells us to take God's days metaphorically... 2 Peter 3:8 "... one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years..."

gnostic

The Lost One
Mister Emu said:
The Bible pretty much tells us to take God's days metaphorically... 2 Peter 3:8 "... one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years..."

There are 2 different flaws that I can with this verse.

If you take the Genesis 6-day creation as metamorphically, but then what make you think that Peter wasn't speaking metamorphically as well with his 1 day = 1 thousand?

The 2nd thing is that we know humans (modern human) have existed more than 20,000 years, proof due to physical evidences of not just fossils, but tools found in the vincity of the remains. Even if Adam existed a thousand, or even 2000 years, this figures would only make the event of Adam's creation 6700 years (or 7700 years), or respectively 4700 BC and 5700 BC.

(Note that 6 day creation would only be 5700 year ago (3700 BC).

That would still put Adam in the middle of the Neolithic period.

Anyway let stick with 6700 years ago (6th day). Animals were created the same roughly time as Adam, and there were animals long before that.

Add another 1000 years, bringing to 7700 years ago (5th day), about the fishes in the seas. We have examples of fishes that are older than 7700 years ago.

Add yet another 1000 years, hence 8700 years ago (6th day), the sun and moon had existed. Are you telling me that the sun, moon and stars are only 8700 years old????

I seriously think not.

You see where I am going with this.

One-thousand years in 1 day scenario don't make Peter's verse any more likely to be true than the Genesis 6-day.

So I don't think Peter know any better than those who originally wrote the Genesis about the origin of our world and mankind. And applying Peter's verse to the Genesis is only supposition, not fact that's what Peter really meant in context.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
If you take the Genesis 6-day creation as metamorphically, but then what make you think that Peter wasn't speaking metamorphically as well with his 1 day = 1 thousand?
Who says I don't ;) A day for God = a very long time ;) and I believe that takes care of your other problem ;)

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

People believe whatever they want. The Bible states that Jesus was the creator of the world and creation happened the way it was recorded in Genesis. Light, by the way is not only limited to the sun.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
As the "word" is not present in Genesis, I'd have to say John was embellishing history, rather poetically, and that it was probably added much later, long after Jesus was gone. John's gospel is after all, the last one written, and has the most mythopoetic language.

In my opinion, Jesus was not even thought of when the Septuagint was written, much less back when the world was formed....4 billion years ago. :D
You get to believe whatever you want. Yours is not the scriptural position.

Jordan St. Francis

In Genesis we see that God speaks the universe into existing. The Logos is the organizing, rationalizing agent of God. The world was created through him, or by him, but he himself is not the creator in the strict sense. The Father created by means of him.