• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Wesley's Plain Account

Neutral

I recently started reading a book by John Wesley that I bought at a Methodist book sale. It's A Plain Account of Christian Perfection, in an edition published by Epworth in 1952.

The book itself carries no information on an editor, or comments from one, but fortunately the dust jacket is still on the book, and that says `This is a reprint in modern style and format...'

Naturally I'm now wondering how much has been changed, and how that affects the nuances of the text. From the very first page I have questions because don't know if what's implied is what Wesley himself implied - or even if what he plainly says in this edition is what he actually wrote.

I've seen this before with modern reprints of Christian classics, and in one case there was absolutely no warning that changes had been made; I discovered that for myself. Can anyone tell me how much this text differs from the original.

I've found an online text, but of course I need to compare the two texts and I still really need to know which text, if any, is accurate.

I emailed the UK Methodist website and I've received no reply. If there's anyone here who can't answer my question but does know of a Methodist forum where someone might be able to reply, could you please let me know. A Googe search has turned up Methodist forums on prayer, women, children, and Anglican dialogue, but no general forums where I can ask about the writings of the people who founded Methodism.

- thanks