• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John the baptist

Ori

Angel slayer
I wanted to have a general disscussion about old John, but I forgot what I was going to say.

john313

warrior-poet
I like his character in "Jesus of Nazareth". He is full of energy and so emotional when he is speaking to the pharisees that he is actually spitting while he talks. That actor did a great job.

Linus

john313 said:
actually he consumed the fruit of the locust tree, carobs. he did not eat locusts, that is a mistranslation myth. :)

Could you show me some proof please? I'd like to believe you, but all the translations that I have seen agree that it was locusts.

njcl

beloved of jesus,had a very undignified life,today would be committed to a lunatic asylum,herods wife supposedly found him an handsome man,beheaded and now reigns in heaven

john313

warrior-poet
Linus said:
Could you show me some proof please? I'd like to believe you, but all the translations that I have seen agree that it was locusts.
Peace,
John was a Nazarite, as was Jesus, and part of the Nazarite oath is not eating dead bodies/flesh; locusts would fall into this category and would break his oath. another part is not drinking intoxicants.

Lloyd

How can you not be a totally rockin' prophet when the basic gist of your ministry is that the kingdom of heaven is at hand? The sermons practically write themselves.

Linus

john313 said:
John was a Nazarite, as was Jesus, and part of the Nazarite oath is not eating dead bodies/flesh; locusts would fall into this category and would break his oath.
Was he a Nazarite? Or was he a Nazarene? There is a distinct difference. Samson took a nazarite vow which is what I think you are referring to. That vow included things like refraining from meats, not cuting your hair, not drinking drinks from the vine (such as wine) etc. Jesus and John were Nazarenes, which are simlpy people from Nazareth (Mathew 3:23). They are two very different things and I think you are confusing them...

john313

warrior-poet
Linus said:
Was he a Nazarite? Or was he a Nazarene? There is a distinct difference. Samson took a nazarite vow which is what I think you are referring to. That vow included things like refraining from meats, not cuting your hair, not drinking drinks from the vine (such as wine) etc. Jesus and John were Nazarenes, which are simlpy people from Nazareth (Mathew 3:23). They are two very different things and I think you are confusing them...
i am not confusing them and i am aware of the differences. they were nazarites. One needs to read more than 1 book to get information sometimes(i know this idea is rejected by christianity, lest one might see truth). It also only makes sense for them to be nazarites if that is a way to become closer to God and lead by example.

john313

warrior-poet
4. And the same Iohn had his raiment of camel’s hair, and a girdle of the same about his loins, and his meat was the fruit of the locust tree and wild honey. Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judea, and all the region round about Jordan, and were baptized of him in the Jordan confessing their sins. - Gospel of the Holy Twelve , section 7
LECTION 7. 4.-The fruit of the Carob tree ("S. Iohn's Bread") ; not the insect of that name, as is supposed by the people in general.

4. For of the fruits of the trees and the seeds of the herbs alone do I partake, and these are changed by the Spirit into my flesh and my blood. Of these alone and their like shall ye eat who believe in me, and are my disciples, for of these, in the Spirit come life and health and healing unto man. Section 32 - Jesus's words

Linus

Sorry for the late response, but I have been working more lately, forcing me to post a little less. Anyway...
john313 said:
For of the fruits of the trees and the seeds of the herbs alone do I partake, and these are changed by the Spirit into my flesh and my blood. Of these alone and their like shall ye eat who believe in me, and are my disciples, for of these, in the Spirit come life and health and healing unto man.
By quoting the Gospel of the Holy Twelve, you are making Jesus out to be a vegetarian, which he was not. And I'm terribly sorry to ridicule, but the mere fact that you are using the Gospel of the Holy Twelve as if it were authoritative scripture weakens your argument (both in this case and in that of John the Baptist). Besides that, we have examples of Jesus eating the flesh of animals from the Bible itself.

Luke 24: 42They gave Him a piece of a broiled fish; 43and He took it and ate it before them.

Matthew 14:17They said to Him, "We have here only five loaves and two fish." 18And He said, "Bring them here to Me." 19Ordering the people to sit down on the grass, He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up toward heaven, He blessed the food, and breaking the loaves He gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds, 20and they all ate and were satisfied. They picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve full baskets. 21There were about five thousand men who ate, besides women and children.

Additionally, the Passover meal that Jesus ate with His apostles in Luke 22:8-15 included the slaughtering and consuming of a lamb.

Awful strange things for a vegetarian (or a even nazarite for that matter) to do. :rolleyes: