• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John McCain and GOP Shock the Nation!

McCain is attacking Obama's lack of military service. I know, I know, I didn't see it coming either. I mean, the shock. The utter bewilderment!

Republican U.S. presidential candidate John McCain opened a new line of attack against Democratic front-runner Barack Obama on Thursday, taking aim at Obama's lack of military service. McCain, a former Navy pilot and prisoner of war in Vietnam, struck back after Obama criticized McCain on the U.S. Senate floor in Washington for opposing legislation that would give expanded benefits to military veterans.
"It is typical, but no less offensive, that Senator Obama uses the Senate floor to take cheap shots at an opponent and easy advantage of an issue he has less than zero understanding of," said McCain, who was not present for the Senate vote because he was campaigning in California.

Runt

Well duh! If Obama were a veteran, he'd know---like McCain knows---that veterans don't want expanded benefits!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I went to college under the GI Bill as a War Orphan. Hey, they ultimately killed my Dad, it was the least they could do.

It's amazing that McCain would turn on the veterans in this manner. They have sacrificed a lot and we need to support them in every way that we can. It's bad enough we ask them to kill in the name of profits for Haliburton, I am sure that we can afford to do this.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
McCain is attacking Obama's lack of military service. I know, I know, I didn't see it coming either. I mean, the shock. The utter bewilderment!

It looks more like he was bringing up Obama's lack of experience in Washington than his lack of experience in the military.

And wasn't this the same military spending bill where Congress slipped in a provision that would give 5 million illegal immigrants a five year work visa?

It looks more like he was bringing up Obama's lack of experience in Washington than his lack of experience in the military.

And wasn't this the same military spending bill where Congress slipped in a provision that would give 5 million illegal immigrants a five year work visa?

Hey, don't get me wrong. I can't stand Obama's new role as the Christ Child of the Democratic Party. I thought things were bad when Kerry was the nominee. Obama is worse. That said, McCain has taken pandering to such a low and embarrassingly obvious artform that I can see no way for him to contend with Obama's cleverly planned one word campaign.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
How about Hillary's reason for staying in the race. Something about, well look what happen to Bob Kennedy.
I don't think you know what you are talking about.
Seemed pretty clear to me what Jeremy was talking about. Clinton was asked why she was still in the race and one of the things she said was that anything can happen to change the primaries, look what happened to Bobby Kennedy.

:cover:

In her defense, this comment was so patently stupid that I can only interpret it as stupidity, not malice.

Seemed pretty clear to me what Jeremy was talking about. Clinton was asked why she was still in the race and one of the things she said was that anything can happen to change the primaries, look what happened to Bobby Kennedy.

:cover:

In her defense, this comment was so patently stupid that I can only interpret it as stupidity, not malice.

ummm. No. That's not what happened at all. She was talking about campaigning in June. The "assassination" comment was meant to be related to the comment immediately before, which was talking about Bill Clinton campaigning in June, something Kennedy was also doing in June. The assassination was the end to that campaign. The point being, there is no reason why Hillary shouldn't be campaigning in June. She still has time. The hysteria surrounding her comments is just that... hysterical. Its unbelievable the amount of disrespect Democrats have shown for the Clintons over the last six months.

Scott1

McCain is attacking Obama's lack of military service.
Ummmm... does anyone else agree that military service might be of crucial importance for a potential Commander in Chief of our armed forces.... especially while we are bogged down on two fronts?

Smoke

Done here.
Ummmm... does anyone else agree that military service might be of crucial importance for a potential Commander in Chief of our armed forces.... especially while we are bogged down on two fronts?
In the same way that having been a cable installer qualifies you to be president of Time Warner?

It seems to me that Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who was not a veteran, did quite a bit better than Richard Nixon, who was.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Not unless the president has plans to fight alongside the troops on the ground. Besides, I thought we were talking about better benefits and coverage for veterans?

Scott1

In the same way that having been a cable installer qualifies you to be president of Time Warner?

It seems to me that Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who was not a veteran, did quite a bit better than Richard Nixon, who was.
Well...maybe it only matters to soldiers... but I guess no one agrees....:foot:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well...maybe it only matters to soldiers... but I guess no one agrees....:foot:

Why would a veteran try to screw other veterans out of adequate benefits and coverage? We're having maimed and disabled soldiers who are not getting cared for. Why are chest thumping flag wavers denying them?

Scott1

Why would a veteran try to screw other veterans out of adequate benefits and coverage?
You'd have to ask that particular veteran... I sure wouldn't.
We're having maimed and disabled soldiers who are not getting cared for. Why are chest thumping flag wavers denying them?
Hey... it's a capitalist country... there's no money in helping wounded soldiers... I don't think that's news to anyone.

Thanks for the chat.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Well, one would think that a person who has experienced actual combat would be less likely to romanticize it as something glorious, and thus less likely to take us into war. To that extent, I agree.

But I don't think that any old military experience helps in the nitty gritty of strategy. Does someone who served as a private really know that much more about how to fight a war than your average civilian? If a mind for military strategy is our main concern, we shouldn't vote for anyone less than a general.

Personally, I'd rather vote for someone who is smart enough to listen to the generals who are advising him or her.

I don't think so. Just because someone is a great baseball player, doesn't make him a good manager. (Same is true in basketball - See Isiah Thomas) At this point, we should be looking at a persons foreign policy to gage how the military would be used and whether or not we approve of it being used that way.