• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Macarthur opens church

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
And what is that? Who determines it? And what happens if we see it again? And we will. We keep doing this until there’s nothing left of our lives?

Who determines that? Ideally, epidemiologists.

When we see it again (after getting it under control), it would be an isolated group and, like I said, we would do contact tracing and quarantine of those who have been exposed.

If we crack down effectively, we don't have to continue to be this locked down forever.

But if we *don't* do it effectively, we well may.

At least until there is a suitable vaccine and people use it, we may have to quarantine isolated groups (for 2-3 weeks each) for the foreseeable future.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Frankly, I find the viewpoint you have to be frightening as well. This is what spreads this terrible disease.

We have to take this seriously and we simply have not been. We have been playing around and people are dying because of it.

Bull****. This is fear mongering and panic. The ****ing virus has a >99% recovery rate. The infection rate of this “terrible disease” in the US population is 2%, the death rate of this “terrible disease“ is .06%. That’s reality and documented, and not misinformation. NJ has been taking this so “not seriously” that we have a 16% unemployment rate, and most of us are into our 13 week unemployment extensions. Because there are no jobs to go back to. What happens when that runs out? Are you going to pay my rent, gas or electric bills? Are you going to find me a health insurance plan I can afford? Can I move my family in with you when we have nothing left? It’s not only the .06% deaths that you all should be concerned with. Think of the living too. Have any of you thought of that? No, you haven’t.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Who determines that? Ideally, epidemiologists.

When we see it again (after getting it under control), it would be an isolated group and, like I said, we would do contact tracing and quarantine of those who have been exposed.

If we crack down effectively, we don't have to continue to be this locked down forever.

But if we *don't* do it effectively, we well may.

At least until there is a suitable vaccine and people use it, we may have to quarantine isolated groups (for 2-3 weeks each) for the foreseeable future.

That’s the world of academia, not the real world.

And a vaccine? You’re assuming everyone is going to get it, or that it’s a panacea.

Fantasyland.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Bull****. This is fear mongering and panic. The ****ing virus has a >99% recovery rate. The infection rate of this “terrible disease” in the US population is 2%, the death rate of this “terrible disease“ is .06%. That’s reality and documented, and not misinformation. NJ has been taking this so “not seriously” that we have a 16% unemployment rate, and most of us are into our 13 week unemployment extensions. Because there are no jobs to go back to. What happens when that runs out? Are you going to pay my rent, gas or electric bills? Are you going to find me a health insurance plan I can afford? Can I move my family in with you when we have nothing left? It’s not only the .06% deaths that you all should be concerned with. Think of the living too. Have any of you thought of that? No, you haven’t.

That .06% amounts to hundreds of thousands of dead. It looks small on paper, but the results are still devastating.

And that recovery rate doesn't take into account the long-lasting effects of this disease.

This minimization of this disease is part of why we don't have it under control. If we had taken it seriously in March and NOT opened up too soon, we would have done so much better than we are now. But we did and now see where we are.

It is the impatient, irresponsible people that are harming all the rest of us.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The reported death rate in the USA is 3% not .06%

United States Coronavirus: 8,387,798 Cases and 224,730 Deaths - Worldometer

CF3686AD-33B2-434B-A059-C756E5DA792E.jpeg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The reported death rate in the USA is 3% not .06%

He seems to be talking about looking at the total population of the US. As of now, we have had just over 200,000 deaths in a population of about 300 million. That is about .06%.

The 3% figure is for people who have contacted this virus. That is of the 8 million people who have had it.

The infection rate *so far* is about 2-3% of the total population.

Of course, both of those are running percentages. They will only be going up. We should see a death rate about .1% (in the population) by the end of the year given how this is going.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That .06% amounts to hundreds of thousands of dead. It looks small on paper, but the results are still devastating.

And that recovery rate doesn't take into account the long-lasting effects of this disease.

This minimization of this disease is part of why we don't have it under control. If we had taken it seriously in March and NOT opened up too soon, we would have done so much better than we are now. But we did and now see where we are.

It is the impatient, irresponsible people that are harming all the rest of us.

Neither of us is going to change the other’s mind, so I’m going to stop here before I say something unworthy of me or that I’ll regret. But I’d still like answers to my questions about the effects on the rest of us that people in fear of the virus seem to forget about or not care.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Neither of us is going to change the other’s mind, so I’m going to stop here before I say something unworthy of me or that I’ll regret. But I’d still like answers to my questions about the effects on the rest of us that people in fear of the virus seem to forget about or not care.

Like I said, it is the irresponsible people who are not wearing masks and not social distancing that are making this difficult for *everyone*.

If *people* (not just some politicians) would take this seriously and actually wear masks, social distance, isolate and get tested if exposed, we would be able to open up much more than we can now.

Not doing those things makes it *less* likely we will be back to normal soon.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
How could any American say covid is not so bad because only 220,000 people died, 220,000 that's more than all the wars we have fought in the last 70 yrs and you think that is insignificant, can't be bothered to put on a damn mask, because you just don't care whether you spread it or not?? Is that what you are saying???

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The people who do follow the protocols really don't find it all that great of a shift. You wear a mask when you go out, you shop, you social distance, you order on-line more. Most things that you did before you can still do. It's not at all that you can't do anything. Some of the things that some folks like to do aren't all that necessary, like getting hammered in a crowded bar, going to a crowded movie theatre or church, or just doing what the rest of us do, but not wearing a mask or social distancing. That's all we have to do to keep in some sort of reasonable check. Even with a few people not following, it wouldn't be so bad. But when some 20% or higher see it as their right, well ... Houston we have a problem.

The tougher stuff is when it gets into a place like a dementia wing of a hospital. You simply can't ask a person with dementia to take the precautions. But that's a ton different than some entitled a__, who doesn't understand it or listens to the conspiracy theorists. There is a long term care senior's center about 3 miles from where I live that has about 100 active cases in patients, and some 40 in staff. It alone accounts for a large chunk of this city's active cases.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ohhhh... I see. Hit hard... 8.17 million cases, 2%, 219,000 deaths
That is more deaths than alcohol, guns, car wrecks, all illegal drugs, about half of cigarettes, about 1/3 of heart disease and cancer, and it still has months left before it's been spreading through America for a year. Plus there are those who come down with long covid.
At this rate Covid is going to prove itself one of the top killers of Americans for 2020.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The people who do follow the protocols really don't find it all that great of a shift. You wear a mask when you go out, you shop, you social distance, you order on-line more. Most things that you did before you can still do. It's not at all that you can't do anything. Some of the things that some folks like to do aren't all that necessary, like getting hammered in a crowded bar, going to a crowded movie theatre or church, or just doing what the rest of us do, but not wearing a mask or social distancing. That's all we have to do to keep in some sort of reasonable check. Even with a few people not following, it wouldn't be so bad. But when some 20% or higher see it as their right, well ... Houston we have a problem.

The tougher stuff is when it gets into a place like a dementia wing of a hospital. You simply can't ask a person with dementia to take the precautions. But that's a ton different than some entitle a__, who doesn't understand it or listens to the cospiracy theorists. There is a long tern care senior's center about 3 miles from where I live that has about 100 active cases in patients, and some 40 in staff. It alone accounts for a large chunk of this city's active cases.
Exactly. People say herd immunity while protecting the vulnerable, the most vulnerable have been shooting ducks throughout this whole thing. The mot vulnerable, despite these protections and keeping them away from the general population, have been ravaged.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What right have you to tell me to hide away because you walk around pointing a loaded gun at people?

The right to kill people is not a right of freedom
It was an analogy.... wasn't telling you to stop breathing or to hide in the basement. The basement reference was about Biden.