• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Macarthur opens church

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ro 3:3 - For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
Your interpretation of Scripture needs some work, since you seem to think it meant shooting people.

Like I said, I AM unfamiliar with Christian scripture. I can assure you I won't be working on it any time soon. It's a false assumption to think everyone should study Christian scripture.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Your right to swing your arm stops at my nose.

In other words, you can do whatever you want *until* your actions put others in danger.

In this case, going into an enclosed space for an hour without a mask is precisely that: putting others in danger.

In a situation like that, anyone encouraging such behavior should be held criminally liable for any deaths from infections spread at such events.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
People are hungry for God's word. Some churches also help people, handicapped, hungry, poor, etc. Now the riots do not help people, how is it you try to single out Christians? MacArthur has said he feels that doing what the bible says and meeting is an essential service.

Go ahead and have services outside, with masks, and distanced. Or have the services online.

Having people packed together inside without masks should be a criminal offense in this situation.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So, you want my son to loose his job, his home so that you feel more at ease? Or you want to dictate the lives and how they live it because of what ''MIGHT" happen?

What percentage of people wear masks and still get COVID?

You have the effect backwards. We wear masks so we don't *spread* COVID.

In other words, you say the health of others is important since you *don't* know you don't have this virus.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is this applied only to one identifiable minority? Do you feel that the mass protests should be strongly dealt with also? Liquor stores and etc? How about abortion clinics? Beaches? Military?

If you noticed, most of the protestors were masked. That helps prevent spread of this virus. Nonetheless, they often *were* too close and probably did help spread this disease. That was wrong.

The others on your list can easily social distance and so are rather irrelevant. Violating social distance rules should be a violation, however.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Your right to swing your arm stops at my nose.

In other words, you can do whatever you want *until* your actions put others in danger.

In this case, going into an enclosed space for an hour without a mask is precisely that: putting others in danger.

In a situation like that, anyone encouraging such behavior should be held criminally liable for any deaths from infections spread at such events.

Burden of proof? Assuming everyone is infected, assuming someone is infection others? Due process? What’s the statute? That’s the sort of thinking that’s fueling the hysteria. And yes, calling for such actions is hysteria.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Burden of proof? Assuming everyone is infected, assuming someone is infection others?
Yes, in a public setting with no social distancing and no mask, there *is* a likelihood of spreading this disease. The infection rate is high enough that yes, we *should* assume everyone has it. One of the big problems with this disease is that people spread it before they get symptoms.

Due process? What’s the statute? That’s the sort of thinking that’s fueling the hysteria. And yes, calling for such actions is hysteria.

No, it really isn't with this disease. People are acting stupidly. At some point, if we want to get back to some semblance of 'normal', people are going to have to take this thing seriously and actually lock down for a month.

In lieu of that, we need to *all* be wearing masks and keeping distance (as well as washing hands).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it really isn't with this disease. People are acting stupidly. At some point, if we want to get back to some semblance of 'normal', people are going to have to take this thing seriously and actually lock down for a month.

In lieu of that, we need to *all* be wearing masks and keeping distance (as well as washing hands).

And what is actually locking down for a month? What continues, what stops? Who makes the determination that we’re clear, and when? How do we know who’s carrying the virus? Mandatory testing of everyone? And if I refuse, and I will... make me disappear in the middle of the night? Calling August Pinochet! C’mon, this is not reality. It is fear and hysteria.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
And what is actually locking down for a month? What continues, what stops? Who makes the determination that we’re clear, and when? How do we know who’s carrying the virus? Mandatory testing of everyone? And if I refuse, and I will... make me disappear in the middle of the night? Calling August Pinochet! C’mon, this is not reality. It is fear and hysteria.

Locking down is what we should have done back in March.

Otherwise we can go with vigorous contact tracing, both forward and back, with quarantines of anyone *suspected* of having contacted this disease for 2-3 weeks.

If we want to get back to something normal, we have to take this thing seriously. And it is clear we are not doing so right now.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
And what is actually locking down for a month? What continues, what stops?

different places have different answers to this question. Here in California, we have a tiered system:

Blueprint for a Safer Economy - Coronavirus COVID-19 Response

Who makes the determination that we’re clear, and when? How do we know who’s carrying the virus?

The state and/or country.

Mandatory testing of everyone?

Unnecessary.

And if I refuse, and I will... make me disappear in the middle of the night? Calling August Pinochet! C’mon, this is not reality. It is fear and hysteria.

Yes, your caricature seems based on fear and hysteria. So why perpetuate it?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
different places have different answers to this question. Here in California, we have a tiered system:

Blueprint for a Safer Economy - Coronavirus COVID-19 Response

The state and/or country.

Unnecessary.

Yes, your caricature seems based on fear and hysteria. So why perpetuate it?

And the states have not done this? Why is NJ still under some of the most draconian restrictions? Why is that ******* governor of ours extending the “health crisis” month by month? NJ flattened the curve by May, yet we’re still restricted. Why is he using data proven to be old on a daily basis? My caricature is based on sarcasm and mockery.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Locking down is what we should have done back in March.

Otherwise we can go with vigorous contact tracing, both forward and back, with quarantines of anyone *suspected* of having contacted this disease for 2-3 weeks.

If we want to get back to something normal, we have to take this thing seriously. And it is clear we are not doing so right now.

This thinking is frightening. What does it entail and where does it stop? What was this lock down supposed to entail? People throw that term around but no one has a plan or description. I’ll wait.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
And the states have not done this? Why is NJ still under some of the most draconian restrictions? Why is that ******* governor of ours extending the “health crisis” month by month? NJ flattened the curve by May, yet we’re still restricted. Why is he using data proven to be old on a daily basis? My caricature is based on sarcasm and mockery.

I can't speak to the specific situation in NJ, as I'm not familiar with it. The crisis is evaluated on an ongoing basis, generally speaking, because its an ever-changing crisis and new data rolls in every day. Areas improve, then loosen restrictions, then get worse again. Other areas that are less populated, like North Dakota, were late to the party and didn't lock down, but now are suffering the consequences and are COVID hotspots.

Do you really not see the relevance of mask wearing and social distancing and avoiding unnecessary gatherings when it comes to avoiding the spread of a respiratory disease? Or is the issue that you think it should just be left to individual whim and we should have no public health regulations about it?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
This thinking is frightening. What does it entail and where does it stop? What was this lock down supposed to entail? People throw that term around but no one has a plan or description. I’ll wait.

I just gave you one. Did you click on the link?

It defines both what "lock down" entails and the criteria for moving to a more locked down or less locked down tier.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Have you looked around at what is going on?

One *big* problem is that we don't do nearly enough contact tracing and not nearly enough testing.

if we could do both forward and backward tracing effectively and have tests that return quickly, we do could quarantine of those people who have come into contact with this virus and probably get it under control.

But, of course, we haven't done the required contact tracing, and we don't have the quick tests easily available. There should be a concerted effort along this line, and it should have been done back in March.

At this point, we have no good alternatives. Hundreds of thousands more will die because of our own stupidity.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

It stops when we get the transmission factor low enough that it is unlikely to spread.

Then, when hot spots show up, we crack down locally, again doing both forward and backward contact tracing and quarantines for those who have been exposed.

This continues, unfortunately, until enough people have been vaccinated to make further spread unlikely.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Frankly, I find the viewpoint you have to be frightening as well. This is what spreads this terrible disease.

We have to take this seriously and we simply have not been. We have been playing around and people are dying because of it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It stops when we get the transmission factor low enough that it is unlikely to spread.

And what is that? Who determines it? And what happens if we see it again? And we will. We keep doing this until there’s nothing left of our lives?