• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Doe believes in god and you don't. Why do you think he is wrong and you are right?

We Never Know

No Slack
Because Joe believes by faith, by which I mean unsupported or insufficiently supported belief. That's always a logical error. Faith cannot possibly be a path to truth if it allows one to believe either of two mutually exclusive ideas knowing that at least one is wrong. Only reason applied to evidence can generate sound conclusions, or justified beliefs.

Note that what I consider Joe wrong about is not whether there is a god or not, but whether there is a reason to believe as much. Joe doesn't need a reason. He only needs the will to believe.

This is why there are thousands of religion and gods, but only one periodic table of the elements. The religions don't use reason applied to evidence, so there is nothing to stop them from generating uncounted numbers of variations. Empiricism requires that we consult nature for answers, and the scientific study of matter has generated only one table. Furthermore, the religions accomplish nothing but comforting people that wouldn't need that kind of comforting had they been raised without religion, whereas the table is extremely useful.

It's not hard to determine what the proper way to decide what is true about the world is, and it's not by faith.

I think it's the other way around. The religious are frequently offended that their beliefs are rejected by others. Why they care isn't clear. I'm not offended by theists rejecting secular humanism.

Skeptics aren't offended by faith-based belief. They simply reject it for themselves, and consider those engaging in it to be making a mistake. We don't try to make theists humanists or care what others believe until there are large numbers of them that have been organized and politicized.

Have you noticed that difference say in public schools teaching evolution and Sunday schools teaching creationism? Your evolution professor doesn't care what his students believe. He never asks them. He just presents the evidence and arguments that Darwin and other used to conclude that life evolves, and tests you to see if you learned it, not if they believe it. These are the standards of teaching in academia.

Contrast that with creationism in Sunday school. All they really care about is you believing their version of the Bible. That kind of thinking is not for the critical thinker, and that angers many theists. They project their emotions onto us, thinking that we hate their god, or thinking that we left religion because we were angry at God or the church, or something similar, when we are pretty indifferent to gods. I just stopped believing. No anger for religion or gods, just no use for it.

Then there is no reason to believe in one. Or in the idea of the supernatural. People who think that declaring that there is a real realm that we cannot detect excuses them from having to present sufficient evidence to the skeptic before he'll believe gets them off the hook for providing evidence don't understand the empiricist.

From Pat Condell: "Faith-peddlers like to put themselves beyond question by claiming that their faith transcends reason, the very thing that calls it to account. Faith transcends reason the way a criminal transcends the law."

This is what angers many theists - this dismissive attitude about their cherished beliefs.

Of course, if they weren't telling us about those beliefs, there would be no need to dismiss them. Like most humanists, I never ask people if they believe in God, because I don't care. If they keep those beliefs to themselves, I'll never know they hold them. But if they want me to hold hands with them while they say a prayer before a meal, we won't have a future together. If somebody at the next table is doing that, I may express disapproval nonverbally for their public display of religion, and they will become incensed and feel attacked, but hey, like your sexual practices, keep them to yourself and we'll be fine whatever they are. Flaunt them, and once again, we won't have a future together. This isn't picking on either, but just saying that if you make others uncomfortable, don't be surprised if they express disapproval or don't want to socialize with you.

We have evidence who thinks critically and who doesn't. And concluding that one who believe by faith isn't a critical thinker is sound. It's definitional. There is no room for faith in reason.

The critical thinker is open-minded, that is, willing and able to consider evidence and the argument applied to it to reach a conclusion dispassionately with the willingness to be convinced by a compelling argument when one is presented. To do this, he needs to know how to interpret evidence properly, and how to reason without error. These skills don't come automatically. They require years of practice, as with the example of the teaching of evolution in academic settings. That's an exercise in critical thinking. One must make a concerted effort to weed out faith-based thinking and faith-based beliefs from his belief set and method of processing information. It eventually becomes automatic. Many theists aren't aware that this is even possible. They just assume that everybody believes by faith.

And it's very easy to tell who can't or won't think that way.

Consider my acquaintance Jack, a conservative Catholic who I was in a recent group email discussion (about a dozen of us have been doing this this for a few years now) about the Chauvin trial. I commented to the group that I had grave concerns about jury nullification of that open and shut case if just one racist or white nationalist makes it onto the jury. Jack assured me that that wouldn't happen, since the jury was all black. I fact-checked him and showed him where he was wrong. I asked him why he had thought what he did, and told me that he heard a black guy on Fox say it, who he believed by faith.

I explained to him again why I reject all of his political opinions, because he is willing to let ideas into his belief set uncritically, and so he believes a lot of incorrect things. How can he possibly generate sound conclusions given his wrong beliefs and his willingness to believe by faith? He can't. So when he tells that this or that is the case, always an unsupported claim, I tell him that I'll file that under what Jack believes and ignore it, that he has zero chance of persuading a critical thinker with his opinions. But he never changes. He never learned to think critically, and he really has no idea what I am telling him - why I don't care what he believes, but rather, what he knows and can convincingly demonstrate, which apparently is very little.

So how do I know that Jack isn't a critical thinker? What evidence do I have? Well, his willingness to believe by faith is a good start.

I didn't read all your book but faith is real.

We Never Know

No Slack
By using the word "above," what is it you are trying to convey here? That faith and believing in supernatural deities is "better" than nature and science? What does "above" mean? Meaning it isn't a lateral form of study? That it requires making a jump to some alternative line of thinking? Why is this non-lateral study requirement named as "above" in your opinion? From where I sit, it makes me think you are trying to simply assume that what you're calling "faith" and belief in supernatural whooziewhats is more important, or better than "nature and science." Which is nonsense. So hopefully that's not what you're trying to do when you place it "above." Please do keep in mind that you used the term "above" for a reason - I am asking what that reason is - mostly to get you to reflect on your choice of wording and what biases it may be revealing.

Fine. Who cares? If there is no scientific evidence, then instead present the type(s) of evidence that DO exist. If all that ends up being are thousands of year old texts and more words from a bunch of individuals who "have a hunch" then color me unimpressed.

This one is super-duper easy. I am right not to believe because the evidence to be found is complete and utter garbage. Joe is wrong to believe because the evidence to be found is complete and utter garbage. That's why. Until sufficient evidence is presented that distinctly ties God to all of the things being attributed to Him, and demonstrates that His existence is a reality (note - I don't care if this evidence is labeled "scientific" or not - it had better be something really damn compelling, regardless the mode of delivery of said evidence - that's the main crux of what I am getting at here) there is no correctness to be had in establishing or maintaining belief.

As others have said, it is an insult to intelligence to assume that you know things that others feel they cannot possibly know and present paltry, unconvincing evidence when trying to convince them that you have said knowledge. That is a huge insult to a person's intelligence. To believe that they should be swayed based on garbage presented as evidence? You may as well be calling them gullible to their face and then getting an idiotic, bewildered look on your face when they don't react well to that. It's asinine.

I would also like to add that if Joe simply kept his beliefs to himself, and used them only for his own "benefit" (whatever that may be) then there would be NO OFFENSE taken by anyone over Joe's beliefs. People wouldn't even know what he believed, and therefore how could anyone get offended? But does Joe keep it to himself? Does he? Let's be honest about that probability now.

Because it keeps being pushed in front of people, and talked about as if it is fact, and used to justify or criticize or judge. That's why. Dumb things keep being done with beliefs, and people who don't like dumb things are bound to complain about them, or even challenge them. Why is this so hard to understand?

Yes. And? Does something being a "personal choice" make it beyond reproach? How about if that "personal choice" is used to try and control the behavior of others through guilt, shaming and fear tactics? As stated previously - people can believe whatever they want, and if they kept it to themselves then all would be well - nothing to even be challenged at that point. But that is NOT what people do with these beliefs. Not by a long shot.
Above, beyond, out of its scope, doesn't study it, etc etc.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Having faith and believing in a super natural god is above natural and science. God is supposed to be supernatural, something science doesn't study or understand. So technically there can be no scientific evidence for a god.
Not "technically." Rather, "by definition," since God is defined to be supernatural.
If Joe believes in god why do you feel he is wrong and you are right by not believing?
This can be asked of absolutely any belief, the substance of which cannot by any means be demonstrated. I could substitute "Invisible Pink Uniform" or "Tooth Fairy" for God, and most people would have no difficulty answering the question. So I can only reply with a question of my own: why would Joe believe in one thing he can't verify, but not anything else? What is it that makes one unreal thing somehow "more real" than some other unreal thing?
It actually seems to offend some that Joe believes in god. Why is that?
It doesn't offend me that someone believes in God -- merely puzzles me, for the reason I gave above.
Why do humans fight about what they believe?
Most of us only fight about those beliefs that are subsequently used to harm us. As a gay man, for example, I have been viciously maligned by people who thought that they, because of their beliefs, had a right to insult me as much as they liked. Many nasty, nasty things have been done in the name of belief in things that can't be evidenced.
Isn't what they believe a personal choice?
Usually -- no! Most often, it is something that was drilled into us before we were mature enough to think for ourselves and ask the right questions about what we are being told.

However, subsequently asking those very questions, and trying to answer them honestly and with a truly open mind, is potentially a personal choice. And a good one, in my view.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
There is evidence of the supernatural and for Jesus but many people want to not believe it and explain it away and even turn it into something that is understandable so they can say it is not supernatural.
The only reason my beliefs are considered to be opinion is because of all the other BS beliefs around.
What is the evidence?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Having faith and believing in a super natural god is above natural and science. God is supposed to be supernatural, something science doesn't study or understand. So technically there can be no scientific evidence for a god.
If Joe believes in god why do you feel he is wrong and you are right by not believing?
It actually seems to offend some that Joe believes in god. Why is that?
Why do humans fight about what they believe?
Isn't what they believe a personal choice?
For some at least it would make sense to be obsessed with God as an atheist at some point. Ergo, self labeling as 'atheist' (instead of 'gardener' or 'hobbyist'). If a person denies there is an elephant in the room (because there is no light and thus no observational 'evidence' for them), they could have trouble letting go of the topic -- some might not feel ok or any equanimity about someone else saying there is one. They might go to the corner (forum) about the elephants, not being able to tolerate leaving it alone. Just one configuration of course.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But you said about contrary evidence. So you are changing that too? You have changed your position twice.
I may have used the phrase at some point. Link to it and I can give a reply. But do you see my point in this context?
Not believing in unevidenced things like leprechauns or Arrakis Sand Worms is the logical default. No reason or evidence for disbelief is called for. A burden of proof exists only for a claim of fact.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I may have used the phrase at some point. Link to it and I can give a reply. But do you see my point in this context?
Not believing in unevidenced things like leprechauns or Arrakis Sand Worms is the logical default. No reason or evidence for disbelief is called for. A burden of proof exists only for a claim of fact.

But it was you who claimed that there are evidence to the contrary. So it is your burden of proof at this time because so far I have not claimed anything. I am only questioning the so called claims that you are making.

Are you concluding that you have no evidence to the contrary either?

A Vestigial Mote

Above, beyond, out of its scope, doesn't study it, etc etc.
I see... one of these types of replies. Wherein the person doing the replying is so scared out of their minds at the rest of the post that they only respond to one "low-hanging fruit" point made. It's okay to be scared. I, personally, just find that it is more honorable when one admits to it.

We Never Know

No Slack
I see... one of these types of replies. Wherein the person doing the replying is so scared out of their minds at the rest of the post that they only respond to one "low-hanging fruit" point made. It's okay to be scared. I, personally, just find that it is more honorable when one admits to it.
Lol. Actually the rest of your post bored me.

We Never Know

No Slack
Sure it did. That's not what I get from people unwilling to reply to a point-by-point examination of their own material. I get a very different sense indeed. Your little "Lol" is not convincing otherwise in the slightest. Maybe try something else?
I don't believe in god. I also don't look down on or argue with people who do. I don't see them as uneducated, flawed or etc.
You're barking up the wrong tree.

A Vestigial Mote

I don't believe in god. I also don't look down on or argue with people who do. I don't see them as uneducated, flawed or etc.
You're barking up the wrong tree.
No... you apparently just look down on people who do argue with people who believe. And yet... you are "so much different." I'm sure you are. Hahaha.

We Never Know

No Slack
No... you apparently just look down on people who do argue with people who believe. And yet... you are "so much different." I'm sure you are. Hahaha.
You are right. I look down on people who think someone is stupid or uneducated because they have faith.
But i don't belittle them like they belittle people who have faith.

A Vestigial Mote

You are right. I look down on people who think someone is stupid or uneducated because they have faith.
I have never said believers are "stupid" or "uneducated." I walk and talk around my town with an extremely religious man on a very regular basis, who, in fact, seeks me out to have such conversations and considers me a friend. And I have told him to his face that he is extremely intelligent. What I feel is that believers have a blindspot for their own biases. You can be extremely intelligent and still have and maintain such traits easily. I see it all the time.
But i don't belittle them like they belittle people who have faith.
Good for you, I suppose. Not sure why I am supposed to care about this. If I do what you consider "belittling people," I do so for my own reasons, and will continue to do so. Not much you can do about that except keep trying to voice your displeasure I suppose. Good luck with that. Not much for me to care about in your endeavor, honestly.

We Never Know

No Slack
I have never said believers are "stupid" or "uneducated." I walk and talk around my town with an extremely religious man on a very regular basis, who, in fact, seeks me out to have such conversations and considers me a friend. And I have told him to his face that he is extremely intelligent. What I feel is that believers have a blindspot for their own biases. You can be extremely intelligent and still have and maintain such traits easily. I see it all the time.
Good for you, I suppose. Not sure why I am supposed to care about this. If I do what you consider "belittling people," I do so for my own reasons, and will continue to do so. Not much you can do about that except keep trying to voice your displeasure I suppose. Good luck with that. Not much for me to care about in your endeavor, honestly.
Did I say you? Again the rest of your post bored me.