1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 5:37 contradiction, or not...

Discussion in 'Same Faith Debates' started by Disciple of Jesus, Feb 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Disciple of Jesus

Disciple of Jesus Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,544
    John 5:37

Specifically any verse that proposes a never encountered G-d, directly contradicts Scripture, is even abstractly, or by any interpretation false, does this verse actually say this?

#1 Disciple of Jesus, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Disciple of Jesus

Ratings:
    +1,544
    Considering the audience, Jesus was talking to specific people. There isn't an indication that these people actually followed the religion that Jesus teaches, I call this 'the religion of Jesus'. In this sense, really, the only thing that makes sense here, this statement makes sense.

There is an absolute contradiction if read as a general statement, regarding G-d.

3. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,012
    What do you believe to be the contradiction?

4. Disciple of Jesus

Ratings:
    +1,544
    Biblically? G-d is noted with form, even described, in Scripture. Would not 'that Deity', be the Abba?

As a 'general statement' about G-d, this sequence of verses would literally contradict itself.

#4 Disciple of Jesus, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,012

John 5:37 says ... And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form.

This verse is saying that those Jesus was speaking to had neither heard the voice of the Father, nor seen the Father or His form at anytime.

Do you agree with that, it is the Father no one had seen or heard?

6. Disciple of Jesus

Ratings:
    +1,544
    Not as a 'general statement', no. If this is specifically referring to those who Jesus is talking to, then, sure, it could be a non-contradictory statement.

7. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,012
    I am of the opinion that all the interactions in the OT between God and the people of Israel were occurring with the Son of God, therefore Jesus's words would be no contradiction because no one had actually seen or heard the Father God, but the Son, Himself.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Disciple of Jesus

Ratings:
    +1,544
    That's fine, that could correlate to Scripture. Now, do you believe that the Abba, literally cannot be perceived, necessarily, or, always formless?

9. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Yes, I'd say that I believe Abba Father is Spirit and cannot be seen at least by physical human eyes. The eternal realm may be different I imagine.