• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 5:37, and Exodus 3:4-14, how do you reconcile these in your belief?

amorphous_constellation

John 5:37
'Never heard G-ds voice'
Presumably Jesus is talking to Jews, here, who sit on Moses's seat, read the Torah, so forth,

And

Exodus 3:4-14
God speaking to Moses, from the burning bush.

How do yoi reconcile these verses, in your belief?

Agape! Shalom...

I watched this last night, there are some pretty good videos on history and religion from yale on youtube, scroll to 47:28.
So this must relate to your point somehow, to me it seems to indicate that Jesus was in the fire or something.

syo

There is a Triune nature to God. Probably not what you mean, though.
the holy trinity I mean is that of the creed. three persons with their certain tasks. father is the mysterious one. son is the obvious one. the holy spirit is the life giver sent to us.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
the holy trinity I mean is that of the creed. three persons with their certain tasks. father is the mysterious one. son is the obvious one. the holy spirit is the life giver sent to us.
No, then. There are different aspects, however the 'mystery deity', isn't part of my beliefs.

So, it doesn't mean the same thing.

Rise

John 5:37
'Never heard G-ds voice'
Presumably Jesus is talking to Jews, here, who sit on Moses's seat, read the Torah, so forth,

And

Exodus 3:4-14
God speaking to Moses, from the burning bush.

How do yoi reconcile these verses, in your belief?

Agape! Shalom...

It's the same way that the Scripture can say no one can see God and live yet at the same time there are those who report meeting God and live.

To directly see or hear God, as only those in Heaven can, would be impossible for man to bear in this form without being struck dead. Presumably because of the sin that resides within them.

and said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die."
Exodus 20:19

Yet, people have encounters with Jesus, or "the Angel of the Lord", and they are actually still seeing and hearing from God Himself - but not in the way one would see the Father in Heaven, which is impossible for sinful man to bear.

The idea that one cannot see or hear God and live is a recognition of the fact that to be in His presence with sin in themselves is to invite immediate judgement and death, as the high priest that would be struck dead in the holy and holies if they had not properly cleansed themselves to approach the presence of God.

The mistake would be in assuming that God has no way of meeting with and speaking with people in ways they can handle to varying degrees, short of fully unveiling Himself to them without limit and causing immediate judgement to fall upon them. But, in a very real sense, to see Jesus is to still see God.

Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
John 14:19

Where there is a greater degree of God's manifestation there is a greater degree of responsibility on the part of the individual for their sin, and thus the quicker and more harshly judgement comes for it. This is why Ananias and Sapphira were struck dead in the presence of the apostles for trying to lie to the Holy Spirit for personal financial gain.

I've heard an account of an individual who was praying for God's glory and presence to come down to a much greater degree, and God spoke to him and told him basically, "If I did that half the people in here would die". They weren't in a position to be able to stand in that kind of presence of God and survive because of the sin in their life.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The Spirit isn't a 'person', and isn't separate.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The triune nature is,
God
Lord
Spirit[the Spirit isn't a person, so it seems different from what you are talking about.

Also, no mystery g-d at all.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not unless you believe in Arian Christianity which survived into the 6th century with I think visigothic western roman emperors.. Sort of like Plato's God with Jesus.
Im not sure what that means. Arians believed, or seems so, jesus isn't in a trinity, yet is a separate deity. Dont know if they were trinitarians, or what manner of trinitarianism, they followed.

amorphous_constellation

Im not sure what that means. Arians believed, or seems so, jesus isn't in a trinity, yet is a separate deity. Dont know if they were trinitarians, or what manner of trinitarianism, they followed.
That god is ultimately supposed to remain separate from any other force, that there is a hierarchy and god would be the source at the top instead of a consubstantial factor. This I think keeps closer to the tradition of the Jews and pagans and philosophers of preceding history, but the concept is probably alien to many modern christians. The trinity wasn't always an apparent concept in christianity, the idea didn't get a stamp on it till the nicene creed.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
That god is ultimately supposed to remain separate from any other force, that there is a hierarchy and god would be the source at the top instead of a consubstantial factor. This I think keeps closer to the tradition of the Jews and pagans and philosophers of preceding history, but the concept is probably alien to many modern christians. The trinity wasn't always an apparent concept in christianity, the idea didn't get a stamp on it till the nicene creed.
I disagree, however I'm not going to associate my religious beliefs, with the argument that I would present, to show that. So, what I'll say is that, that idea might vary, most religions we read about are polytheistic, and, the 'creed' is a codified explanation of the deific aspects in the Bible. So, they didn't invent the trinity.

Most christians were modalists with slight variations, before it became a heresy in the established church.
The differentiation of the modalism, modalistic trinity, so forth, and the codified trinity concept are itself, a bit sketchy, because the church did correlate all aspects to g-d, or whoever they thought g-d was.