• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 3:16 , either deity here means Yeshua, or, it means something else: language

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
John 3:16

'For G- d gave...his only...

Now, this isn't how the word G- d is used, especially not in a biblical context, to specify the 'Abba'. In fact, unless interpreted in the english, you rarely if ever encounter a delineation, [again interpretive,

So,

The verse in keeping with Johns usage, to my estimation,

Means, 'G-d/Jesus gave [Theos gave , son/Jesus , so forth.
It either is just referring to Jesus, as G- d, or, it is a trinity concept, or, John is talking about some other deity [unlikely.

Earthling

David Henson
I'm not seeing a trail of logical evidence here. I see some text followed by an unconnected conclusion.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Since, presumably, John, or Yohanan, is used to referring to Deific names,he's Jewish, and is said go be learned, the wording here would be strange, if Yohanan meant 'just JHVH', and not Jesus. In fact, why doesn't John just specify, JHVH, here, if that is what he means?

All of the names or words do not indicate a specification to a separate JHVH, unless, of course, as mentioned, Yohanan means to signify some other deity. Again unlikely.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not seeing a trail of logical evidence here. I see some text followed by an unconnected conclusion.
You realize that, for example, 'abba' isn't used, in John 10:17-18

In other words, like in the Epistles, where Jesus is referred to actually, as 'G- d the father Lord Jesus Christ'

In english interpreted, 'g- d the father [of the Lord Jesus Christ'.

Note the interpretations, in the text.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
How about God gave his only son, who was Jesus? Instead of God who is Jesus gave God, his only son, who is Jesus . . .
It's the wording, and the fact that this is the book of John. That is probably a common interpretation, seems to be, from various arguments varying by church.
The english Bible might infer that.

What you wrote isn't how it would read, though, it would be
'G- d/Yeshua so loved the world, that he/the son, gave ...' so forth.

So, yes, if you just change one name there, in the english, it might be unclear. Some verses are interpreted more than others, it seems.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
They translated into English, the names or words, using a certain methodology.
For example,
Genesis 1:26

' our'

If one believes that Jesus, is there, at creation, this creation narrative, then they are already calling Jesus, G- d, since the name and word there, is clearly G- d.

• so the wording affects the meaning, in other words, how one would read other verses.