• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 14:6

Clear

Premium Member
An important controversy in Christianity is the interpretation of whether or not Jesus made exclusive claims where He envisaged no one could come to God except through Him, or whether a biblical theology should allow for the validity of other religions. An important verse used by Christian exclusivists to justify their theology is John 14:6 where Jesus speaks to His Disciples:

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

What is the best way to understand John 14:6 and why?

Hi @adrian009

1) MULTIPLE SOURCES OF TRUTHS AND MULTIPLE LANGUAGES TRUTHS MAY BE TAUGHT IN

The concept that the gospel (whatever that is) is to be preached in all nations and in their own tongue, in my mind is not a narrow and provincial principle. To me, this specific principle means that just as there are many languages and many symbol sets that are different according to the multitude of societies and races, there must be an underlying principle that is involved in this communication of truth to the world.

For example, having grown up in my culture, if I dreamed of an angel as a child, the angel may have been a blond haired Caucasian who spoke English. IF I had grown up in Mexico, the angel may have had dark hair and darker skin and would have spoken Spanish. If I grew up in Africa in an obscure tribe, the angel I dreamed of may have had darker skin, perhaps short curly hair and spoken the language of my tribe.

My point is that all people grown up with and become accultured to their own symbol set through which they see the world and my current thought is that God communicates most efficiently through the individuals own set of cultural symbols.

I would have no problem seeing moral truths taught by Confucius, Siddhartha, Mohammed, Bahá'u'lláh, the Catholic Pope, or others who were enlightened and spread what truth they could using the symbol set of various peoples prepared and able to receive some greater level of moral truth than they had before.

2) MUSINGS REGARDING THE PHRASE "NO MAN COMETH UNTO THE FATHER BUT BY ME" IN JOHN 14:6

The concept underlying the phrase that “no man cometh unto the father, but by me” is interesting because, in the Greek, it has various nuances that do not come out in the English and the phrasing of a translation is affected by the translator.

The final phrase of John 14:6, is “…ουδεις ερχεται προς τον πατερα ει μη δι εμου.”

I can imagine historians discussing the potential various meaning of this phrase that pure “translators” may not have. Literally the phrase is that no man comes to the Father “if not “[because of / through / if not for / by virtue of] me”.

The word of interest in this specific phrase is the Greek δι (often shortening of “dia”, thus the translator used “by” or “through” me).
However, the ancient δια (or modern Greek για) has multiple meanings and nuances that are possible. For example, modern για’s main meaning is “on account of” (in the accusative).

In such a case it denotes a “manner of accomplishment” in it’s various forms.
Did Christ then mean that mankind will only return to the Father “because of” or “on account of” what Jesus has done?
Is he referring to his future resurrection?
Or his atonement? (especially since για can refer to a price that is paid (e.g. για δυο δραχμες – for two drachmae”).
Was Jesus then saying that no man can come unto the father if not for “the price I will pay” for mankind?

It can be used as a temporal reference as well and so did Jesus mean that mankind could not come to the father if not for what Jesus accomplished in his life?
This is how δια is used in P Fay (119:31 of 100 a.d.) when it refers to a thing done “by virtue of” or “by the mechanism of” water acting upon a thing over time..

The word δια has so many different ancient uses and stereotyped phrases that I cannot tell exactly what Jesus was saying other than he seems to refer to a manner of accomplishment of some task he is connected with rather than himself.

I know that this post does not give you any specific answer, but that is not something I feel qualified to do in this specific case.

I hope it may simply illuminate the fact that there are multiple potential meanings that do not involve the exclusion of truths being taught by multiple religions but there is something specific that Jesus did that was necessary for mankind to return to God.

In any case Adrian009, I hope your own spiritual journey is wonderful and insightful.

Clear
δρτωσεειω

Last edited:

Dogknox20

@Dogknox20
I'm a person who's extremely interested in Truth. I do not rely on mass opinion. I seek truth passionately, devoting tons of energy and research into it. For example,. when I wanted to better understand Catholic beliefs, I spent years attending Masses & Sacraments, reading RCIA & CCC materials, asking questions of knowledgeable Catholics, etc. Yes, it's time consuming, takes efforts, and makes you look at things a different way, but truthfulness is worth any effort, and I wanted to truthfully understand what Catholics believe. That is my love of Truth, and my love of Catholic people.

Catholicism is indeed a strong Christian faith and there is much there I respect. Strong, reasoned, thoughtful, interested in truth without a need to ever touch a logical fallacy or to treat others poorly.

I wish & pray that you will one day exhibit those traits I do so admire.
Hello Jane.Doe once again.. Please be patient..... :)
I also have spent a lot of my life in search of truth! Finding it in the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church! I am NOT saying it has the ONLY truth; I say the Completeness of truth is found within! Yes many religions have some form of truth.. "Love God and neighbor as self " is a good example! BUT...
Jane.Doe
but even this simple commandment has been perverted by some religions!

Scriptures tell us "God is Love" and keeping his commands is Loving God!
John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them

Adam the first perfect man did not love God! God does everything perfectly if he did not do things perfectly he would not be God! Adam decided by free choice to sin! Adam decided to NOT Love God!

1 John 5:3 In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

In Genesis God Commanded Adam; do not eat! Adam did not love God thus he was removed from heaven because ONLY those who love enter within! Jesus is the second PERFECT man... Jesus loves God; Jesus did not sin so death could not hold him in the grave!
Jane.Doe "The wages of sin is death"! Jesus rose up out of the grave because he was without sin.. NOW..

Jane.Doe
now what we have to do is get ourselves IMMERSED into the living forever (Can't die again) body of Jesus! No one can die two times.. Jesus has been there and done that! Baptism ADDS us the the body of Jesus... 3000 were ADDED to the risen body of Jesus the first day of Pentecost!
Acts 2:40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

Baptism ADDS us!
Jane.Doe Communion KEEPS the Catholic IN the risen Body of Jesus! Again... Baptism ADDS us to the living forever body of Jesus, Communion Keeps us IN Jesus!

John 6:53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.

The flesh of Jesus is LIVING MANNA!

The Mormon might keep the great commandment "Love God & Neighbor" the Mormon cannot eat the living forever flesh of Jesus.. Same with all other man made religions! THUS....

Jane.Doe
thus my posts. Would it be correct and fair to keep the fulness of truth from these peoples in search of truth? NO!
How do I point them to truth? Sure there MUST be the most correct way to teach them apparently you have the answer!? What is it?

Jane.Doe

Hello Jane.Doe once again.. Please be patient..... :)
I also have spent a lot of my life in search of truth!
I acknowledge you saying that. But on this thread I has not seen evidence of that. Rather, I have only seen you approach to finding truth to be "a bunch of websites say it so it must be true! And I'll totally ignore what what actual studied practioners of the faith say!"
How do I point them to truth? Sure there MUST be the most correct way to teach them apparently you have the answer!? What is it?
You
1) Stop telling folks what you think they believe and why you think it's wrong.
2) Take the time to actually listen to what they do believe -- seek to truthfully understand that, honestly see & understand that person.
3) Then have a thought-filled conversation, sharing the light you have from Christ.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
An important controversy in Christianity is the interpretation of whether or not Jesus made exclusive claims where He envisaged no one could come to God except through Him, or whether a biblical theology should allow for the validity of other religions. An important verse used by Christian exclusivists to justify their theology is John 14:6 where Jesus speaks to His Disciples:

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

What is the best way to understand John 14:6 and why?

Live life, not in self-interest but selflessly, attempting to follow His example. The closer you get, the greater your inner peace will be felt and the more you’ll understand the wisdom in holding His way as an ideal.

Why? Because it works. Try it, be patient with yourself, do not give up, give it time and see what happens.

Humbly
Hermit

Dogknox20

POST ONE OF TWO

Hi @Dogknox20

1) REGARDING THE CLAIM THAT ONCE THE APOSTLES DIED, THERE WERE NO MORE APOSTLES TO ORDAIN MORE BISHOPS

Dogknox said : “… Ignatius was ordained by Paul, and then, at the end of the reign of Evodius, he was appointed bishop of Antioch by Peter (post #206)
Clear said : “... After the apostles Died, no more bishops were ordained by apostles.
Dogknox replied “Acts 1:25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

While the apostles lived, they could ordain other apostles and bishops etc.
Your quote does not tell us that after the apostles died, they were able to ordain more bishops.

2) REGARDING SOME DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE EARLY CHURCHES OF CHRIST AND THE LATER ROMAN CATHOLIC ORGANIZATION

REGARDING UNRIGHTEOUS POLICIES OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC ORGANIZATION THAT ARE DIFFERENT THAN THAT OF THE AUTHENTIC CHURCH OF CHRIST

Clear said :
Among the clergy, the bishop had all priority, and any cleric who opposes a bishop in anything must be deposed with all his followers, as having attempted to seize power: he is a rebel. All the laymen who follow him must be excommunicated.” (127 canons of the Apostles 2.22, in PO 8:673)

POST TWO OF TWO FOLLOWS
I reply: With all due respect "There were many bishops with authority to make decisions within the ONLY Church Jesus established! You have posted many proofs of all the Catholic Bishops over the centuries! There is ONLY One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church! These Bishops did not appear out of thin air! You think the Holy Church fell off the rails... To believe this you again MUST reject the scriptures as Lies from God!
Clearly the OFFICE of Bishop is to be filled as Acts 1 tells you! Bishops are formed by the elders laying on of hands!

The great commission... "Go into all the WORLD makes disciples baptizing"!
Clear you make no sense! Until the great de-formation and Protest there was ONLY the Holy Catholic Church!
FACT: There were no bibles or very few bibles, they were costly works of art only the Church and the very very rich could own a bible!
The Holy Catholic Church brought Jesus and salvation to the whole world.. She taught and PREACHED Jesus to the peoples!
Even if the people had bibles they could NOT READ! They needed to be TAUGHT as the Great Commission commanded!
There were no bibles because the printing press was not invented unto the 1700!
To think differently you reject logic!
Augustine
“There are three ways in which sins are forgiven: in baptism, in prayer, and in the greater humility of penance; yet God does not forgive sins except to the baptized” (Sermons to Catechumens on the Creed 7:15 [A.D. 395]).

“I do not hesitate to put the Catholic catechumen, burning with divine love, before a baptized heretic. Even within the Catholic Church herself we put the good catechumen ahead of the wicked baptized person” (On Baptism, Against the Donatists 4:21:28 [A.D. 400]).

“That the place of baptism is sometimes supplied by suffering is supported by a substantial argument which the same blessed Cyprian draws from the circumstance of the thief, to whom, although not baptized, it was said, ‘Today you shall be with me in paradise’ [Luke 23:43]. Considering this over and over again, I find that not only suffering for the name of Christ can supply for that which is lacking by way of baptism, but even faith and conversion of heart [i.e., baptism of desire] if, perhaps, because of the circumstances of the time, recourse cannot be had to the celebration of the mystery of baptism” (ibid., 4:22:29).

“When we speak of within and without in relation to the Church, it is the position of the heart that we must consider, not that of the body. . . . All who are within [the Church] in heart are saved in the unity of the ark [by baptism of desire]” (ibid., 5:28:39).

“[According to] apostolic tradition . . . the churches of Christ hold inherently that without baptism and participation at the table of the Lord it is impossible for any man to attain either to the kingdom of God or to salvation and life eternal. This is the witness of Scripture too” (Forgiveness and the Just Deserts of Sin, and the Baptism of Infants 1:24:34 [A.D. 412]).

Clear The Churches of Christ is the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church headed by the Pope! Augustine is a Catholic Bishop!

Dogknox20

I acknowledge you saying that. But on this thread I has not seen evidence of that. Rather, I have only seen you approach to finding truth to be "a bunch of websites say it so it must be true! And I'll totally ignore what what actual studied practioners of the faith say!"

You
2) Take the time to actually listen to what they do believe -- seek to truthfully understand that, honestly see & understand that person.
3) Then have a thought-filled conversation, sharing the light you have from Christ.

Hello again... First the LDS claim to be Christian! I clearly pointed out; Christians don't believe what Mormons believe, they cannot be Christian!
I know that they believe it is anti Christian .. Joe Smith was very clear!

Claiming something to be true does NOT mean it is a true! The FACTS are out there so I researched; I asked them and others their about their church and beliefs the facts do NOT line up with scriptures, logic or what Christians believe!
Again I can say without any doubt "They are NOT Christian"! Not just because of what I found out but what many many others say!

Jane.Doe

Hello again... First the LDS claim to be Christian! I clearly pointed out; Christians don't believe what Mormons believe, they cannot be Christian!
I know that they believe it is anti Christian .. Joe Smith was very clear!

Claiming something to be true does NOT mean it is a true! The FACTS are out there so I researched; I asked them and others their about their church and beliefs the facts do NOT line up with scriptures, logic or what Christians believe!
Again I can say without any doubt "They are NOT Christian"! Not just because of what I found out but what many many others say!
Did you not read where I wrote

You keep trying to tell active Mormons who've studied & lived the faith for decades what "Mormons believe" based off hasty copy-paste from anti websites. Frankly, you're getting things incorrect top-to-bottom and only succeeding in making yourself & your faith look like a idiot.

Clear

Premium Member
POST ONE OF TWO

Dogknox20 claimed :
"There were many bishops with authority to make decisions within the ONLY Church Jesus established! You have posted many proofs of all the Catholic Bishops over the centuries! There is ONLY One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church! These Bishops did not appear out of thin air! You think the Holy Church fell off the rails... To believe this you again MUST reject the scriptures as Lies from God! Clearly the OFFICE of Bishop is to be filled as Acts 1 tells you! Bishops are formed by the elders laying on of hands!

Ummm. Acts 1 is describing the apostles ordaining an apostle, not a bishop.

Your responses are seem to be advertisements for your church but you claims (so far), are consistently incoherent, historically and irrational and irrelevant.

For example :
1) Dogknox20 claims : Bishop Ignatius was ordained a bishop by an apostle.
2) Clear points out : Once the apostles died, bishops could no longer be ordained in this way.
3) Dogknox20 then claims : The apostle Judas was replaced.
4) Clear points out : Once the apostles died NEITHER apostles NOR Bishops could be ordained by apostles.
5) Dogknox20 claims : Mere elders can ordain Bishops in their religious movement.

Once the Roman religious movement created the practice where mere elders, and not apostles, to ordain bishops, we have moved into an apostate practice that was never done in the Church of Christ.

This is another difference between the administration of the original church and that of the church created by the roman religious movement.

THE NATURE OF THE BISHOPRIC CREATED BY THE ROMAN RELIGIOUS MOVEMENT DIFFERED FROM THE ORIGINAL OFFICE OF BISHOP

1)IN ORIGINAL CHRISTIANITY, AN APOSTLE AND A BISHOP WERE TWO SEPARATE AND DIFFERENT OFFICES

We have, already discussed the historic fact that we have no period appropriate evidence that the Roman Bishopric was, historically, given any apostolic level of authority from Peter nor any other member of the 12 Apostles. IF this is correct, then the later Bishops of the Roman Christian Movement and its associated churches were never authentic and actual successors to THAT apostolic authority in any way that cannot be claimed by all other churches.

The Roman theologians did create an office they called “bishop”, but this office was different in many important ways than the early judao-christian office of Bishop. Instead of a local and limited congregational office, it became, in the roman theological system, a position of general authority, of inequality to other bishops. The Roman movements’ office of “Bishop” underwent early and significant contaminations with politics, power, and riches.

In early and authentic Christianity, the office of a congregational, standing BISHOP was different that the office of one of the traveling 12 APOSTLES. The higher authority and commission of a traveling apostle was above and different to the lower authority and commission of a congregational bishop, (an επισκοπος / epi – skopos meaning, an “over” – “seer”). Anciently, bishops did not inherit the office of one of the 12 apostles upon the death of the apostle that ordained the BISHOP.

As the various cities vied for power and pre-eminence, the Roman Religious Movement adopted its existing office of Bishop to fill the role of apostolic power. Since Rome no longer had authentic apostles, it did what it could and attempted to fill the role of apostleship with a bishop.
I am NOT claiming that the theologians who created catholic theory were evil in changing Christianity in these ways. I think they were often simply trying to do the best that they could given the lack of apostolic and prophetic authority.

This historian Lake points out the obvious change taking place in early roman Christianity. If we ask who were the most important people in the Christian church in the first generation,” Lake writes, “the answer is undoubtedly, the Apostles and Prophets. If we go on farther, and ask who was the most important person in the church at ROME at the end of the second century, the answer is unquestionably that it was the Bishop. But the difficulty comes when we inquire how this change took place; for that is precisely the problem to which no undoubted or unquestionable answer can be given.” (Lake, Christian Life in Rome, 37-38)

This is why great historians such as Eduard Schwartz, finding no data to support the roman claim, designated the theory of themonarchical episcopate as bearer of the apostolic succession “ as alegal fiction,” the true nature of which is apparent in many things. (Eduard Schwartz Kaiser Constanin und die Christliche Kirche – Stuttgart : Teubner, 1969, 24)

Even the great Catholic Historian Duchesne, who sought, for his entire career, in vain for data to support Apostolic Authority in the Catholic Movement, describes the Roman Movements change in the leadership from the authority of prophets and apostles to Local Bishops: “… when the first age of the church passed away, this itinerant, ubiquitous (i.e. general) personnel disappeared entirely, and nothing was left but the local ecclesiastical organizations.” (Duchesne, origins du Culte Chretien, 14);

ORIGINALLY, BISHOPS WERE LOCAL OFFICES

Bishops, in the earliest authentic Christianity were standing bishops and were associated with watching over a single congregation. They were, as the Catholic historian Duchesne said, part of “the local ecclesiastical organizations” that was left after the apostles died. This is why they were referred to as the bishop of the CITY they over saw :. The bishop of Jerusalem. The bishop of Antioch. The Bishop of Lyons. The Bishop of Rome. Etc. They were associated with their city. The apostles were special embassaries and missionaries who, by their nature, traveled to fulfill their callings and they were NOT associated with the overseeing of a specific city since they were overseers of the many churches.

From the earliest times, the bishops and apostles existed side by side as contemporaries; still, we never hear of bishops traveling with apostles for the specific purpose of being “trained” to become one of the 12 apostles. In fact, very early orders penalize a bishop for leaving his city. A bishop could not travel for long, and an apostle, as an emissary, had to travel. (127 canons of the apostles 2.12, in Francois Nau and Rene Graffin, eds., Patrologia Orientalis – Paris : Libraire de Paris, Firmin-Didot, 1903-), 8:668-9)

Thus the didache speaks of how to treat a traveling apostle and prophet who visited the congregation and the P.Orientalis specified punishment for a bishop who traveled away from his congregation for any length of time. Since the seventy also had a similar role to the apostles in their role as proselyters, they were commonly regarded as taking over in place of the apostles. This is why Hippolytus lists the names of “the seventy apostles.” (Hippolytus, De LXX Apostolis in PG 10:953-58);

POST TWO OF TWO FOLLOWS

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
POST TWO OF TWO

ORIGINALLY BISHOPS WERE NOT THE SAME AS APOSTLES

When the early dogmatists were supplanted by later historians who viewed the problem of the organization of the early church, it became apparent, says Linton, that the episcopate is not a continuation of the apostolate,” (Lake, “Christian Life in Rome”, 38).

Once this became clear, historians set about to determine and better define the ancient church organization. Lake observed :it is not less clear that the functions of an apostle were quite different from those of a presbyter or bishop and that functionally the apostle is akin to the prophet, not to the presbyter.” (p 38, Lake, “Christian life in Rome,” 38-39).

Again, this is because Apostles and Prophets were itinerant to a great degree whereas Bishops and Presbyters were associated with a standing office.

If one will keep the authentic early context in mind, then it makes perfect sense why Peter would tell Clement (the third bishop of the roman congregation), that, At the present time,” ( says the apostle Peter in the Clementine Recognitions) do not look for any other prophet or apostle except us. There is one true prophet and twelve apostles.” ( PG 1:1330)

Just like Ignatius (the Bishop of Antioch) indicated in his letters, Polycarp, (the bishop of Smyrna) also, when writing to the churches, confessed that he is no wise to be considered on par with the apostles : For neither I, nor any other such one, can come up to the wisdom of the blessed and glorious Paul. He, when among you, accurately and steadfastly taught the word of truth in the absence of those who were then alive. And when absent from you, he wrote you a letter….which will build you up in that faith which has been given you.” (Epistola ad Philippenses 3.2, in PG 5:1008);

During the confusion after the apostles died when multiple bishops are trying to gain authority and some are being shuffled out of their positions by congregations, one sees various pleadings for individuals to honor the present episcopal authority. In doing this, they do not claim any apostolic authority. For example, in his pleading Clement, (the Bishop of Rome) also fails to mention any office of his own; fails to give any direct orders (he is even more apologetic than Ignatius…), nor does he appeal to apostolicity in the office of a bishop, which would have made his case open and shut. Instead, he merely ventures as an opinion…that there is nothing in the scriptures which says evil men should depose good, and so there is no reason for deposing a good bishop.

He mentions no apostolic tenure, nor does he mention the later claim of the Roman Religious Movement that he is a true successor and has apostolic authority. In mentioning authority Clement writes: “Christ came from God”, “and the apostles from Christ.” (Clement, epistola primera ad Corinthios 42.2 in PG 1:292.) but the early bishops did NOT claim the next step by saying “and the bishops from the apostles”.

None of the early apostolic fathers / bishops make the claim that the roman bishops of later centuries were to make; that they had some sort of “apostolic level of authority”.

Early bishops knew they did not have that level of authority and in fact, deny that they do.Shall I,” writes the third bishop of Antioch after Peter, the head of the largest and, next to Jerusalem alone, the oldest church in Christendom, reach such a pitch of presumption…as to issue orders to you as if I were an apostle?” (Ignatius, Epistola ad Philadelphenses 4, I PG 5:828)

Bishop Ignatious knew he did not have the authority of one of the 12 apostles. Though he may have been “apostolic” in the strict sense that the bishopric in his city originated when peter ordained a bishop in Antioch, still, being “apostolic”, in that sense did not give him the authority of an apostle.”

This revelation is even more remarkable since the main subject of Ignatius’s letters is episcopal authority. Churches are having trouble choosing and sustaining bishops, and Ignatius, who is appalled by the wild disorder he finds in the churches, takes it upon himself to encourage them to follow their bishops. He pleads the cause of the episcopate; even demanding absolute submission of the faithful to their bishops; and yet, the two main arguments which form the basis of catholic claims (and which would have given his pleading the authority and influence they deserved..) do not appear. In fact, Ignatius, desirous for a general authority to appeal to, finds none and he explicitly disclaims being one. He and says he speaks not because anyone has ordered or permitted him to, but simply because his love will not let him hold his peace. (Ignatius, Epistola ad Romanos 4.3; 8-9, in PG 5:677, 680; Epistola ad Trallianos 3:5-6, in PG 5:589, 693-96

The historian Reville observes upon his study of this literature : One cannot insist too much on this curious fact in the Ignatian literature: the complete absence of any allusion to the apostolic nature of the episcopate, and to any justification of the episcopal power by the principle of apostolic succession.” (Reville, “Etudes sur les Origines de l’episcopat,” 285);

If Ignatius could have appealed to the Roman Catholic theory of apostolic succession for bishops is would have solved his problem in making his opinions authoritative; but he can’t do it. If fact he, tells them why he cannot do this ? “they were apostles,” he wrote to the Romans.I am but a man.” (ep ad Romanos 4.3 in PG 5:689 (see also 5:808).

Reville noted also that if the authority of the bishops had really been as well established as well established as Ignatius wants it to be, it would not have been necessary to insist with such energy that people respect them.” (Reville, “Etudes sur les Origines de l’Episcopat,” 287.) It is impossible to dispute,” wrote Jean Revile, that the episcopate as represented in the Epistle of Ignatius is essentially a local function, the authority of which is limited to the community in which it was exercised. Never does Ignatius appeal to his title of bishop of Antioch to give more authority to his instructions.” P26 (“Etudes sur les Origines de l’Episcopat: La Valeur du Temoignage d’Ignace d’ Antioche,” revue de l’Histoire des Religions 21 (1890); 284)

No one viewed congregational Bishop with especial awe as apostolic officers in the end of the first century.

Other sects at the time noted that the office of Bishop could not be the highest office in the true church. The wonderful and learned Tertullian also noted that and thus he left the church that was coming under increasing amount of roman influence. (Tertullian, De Pudicitia 21: in PL 2:1077-80).

The Catholic historian P. Batiffol, in his attempt to help support the roman concept of the new role of Bishops, announced that in the ancient church, priests could not have cathedras, sayingThe cathedra [bishops chair, seat, “see”] is the exclusive insignium of the bishops – the symbol of his authority, the symbol of the unity of the church.” (Pierre Batiffol, Cathedra Petri : Etudes d’Histoire ancienne de l’Eglese – Paris : de la Tour Maubourg, 1938), 108)

This claim may have worked if roman dogmatists had been the only players. But NOT in a historical period that was increasingly under the influence of true historians.

Hugo Koch points to Constanine’s references to presbyters’ thrones in 314 and cites many ancient texts to show that priests as well as bishops had chairs or thrones. (Hugo Koch, “Bischofsstuhl und Presterstuehle zu Canon 58 von Elvira,” Zeitschrift fur Kirchengeschichte 7 -1925 : 172-75) P 41; Duchesne discovered that for a long time there was only one bishop in all of Gaul --- the other churches were governed by other officers. (Louis Duchesne, Fastes Episcopaux de l’Ancienne Gaule, 2nd ed. – Paris Fontemoing, 1907), 1:39-40).

Though the Priests and presbyters (rather than bishops) had chairs (i.e. hedrin or those WITH the hedrin, thus the jewish version was syn-hedrin / Sanhedrin = with the chair or authority). These are examples where other offices have an ability to “watch over” but only relative authority to each other.

ALL are engaged in the same sacred calling, all held offices of varying degree and ALL work toward the same purpose. Still all offices functioned at differing levels, and the fact that these levels resemble each other does not mean that these offices are the same.

According to a letter attributed to Anacletus, there are two types of priesthood: (1) The Lord sent the apostles into the various provinces, but when their converts became too numerous to handle, (2) he then sent out the seventy-two disciples. Now the bishops occupy the place of the Lord’s apostles, while the presbyters occupy that of the seventy-two disciples.” P18 (Anacletus, Epistola 3.1, in PG 2:812)

They “hold the places [locum tenant] once held by these, but it does not follow that their priesthood or authority is identical, but only that those earlier officers had been replaced by another kind since the apostles were no longer present. It made perfect sense for a present “highest officer” to hold the place of the prior highest officer. Still, they did not then have all authority and power of the 12 apostles. They were a substitute, doing the best that they could. (Until they became corrupted with power and money and worldly issues).

Historians of the early centuries have long known the true nature of the earliest Christian bishopric. That is the reason the later Catholic claim to power crumbled as church history became under the influence of the HISTORIAN and less under the influence of the roman catholic DOGMATIST.

While you are a DOGMATIST Dogknox20 and your religious claims can survive in the world of the dogmatist, your religious claims cannot survive in the world of the HISTORIAN.

When you describe how your church ordains it's "bishops" and it's "popes" and it's other offices, you are not describing the original Church of Christ, but instead are describing how your religious movement changed the early offices and created new offices that perform different functions but merely have the same name as the offices of authentically ordained individuals that existed in the authentic and original church of Christ.

Clear
δρδρτζακω και φυφυτζω

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
@Clear, too bad the wealth of knowledge you have shared is falling on deaf ears. As they say, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't force him to drink."

Clear

Premium Member
@Clear, too bad the wealth of knowledge you have shared is falling on deaf ears. As they say, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't force him to drink."

Hi Katzpur. I like your new avatar. It looks like a movie Star.

I do think it is a self-delusion for religionists to pick up misrepresentations and present them as fact, especially in the face of actual experts that are willing to educate regarding those misrepresentations.

I have often thought such clinging to "pseudo-facts" served as a defensive mechanism by which we try to shore up our own faith. Sort of like bullying a younger, skinny kid to shore up our own lack of confidence. It is one way to understand why, even when lead to good water, the horse chooses the bad water instead.

I probably ought to point out that I am not particularly smart. But, I have read a bit from people who I think are smart.

As far as knowledge, the historian Hugh Nibley discussed "The Nibley gas law of learning" where any amount of learning makes us feel educated.

He explained that just as any amount of gas will expand to fill a room (as the molecules spread out thinner and thinner), we all tend to feel educated regardless of the amount of actual facts we possess. The lessor number of facts in an uneducated head simply spread out further to take up all available space.

Regarding my recent comments about the inability of many Catholic claims to stand up to historical scrutiny, I actually believe the Catholic Church contains a LOT of true principles that were shared by the original Church of Christ. The problem with mixing pride with false historical claims is that there is an increasing amount of historical data available such that false historical claims are much more easily debunked.

If I remember correctly, you are a science fiction movie buff? I am excited about the New version of Frank Herberts "Dune".

See you Katzpur

Clear
δρδρφινεω

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
POST ONE OF TWO

Hi @Dogknox20 and @idea and @pearl and others.

Dogknox20, While you seem to be aware of the party line and dogmatic talk of the Roman Bishopric, perhaps you might want to at least introduce yourself to a bit of the world of the historian regarding the type of bishopric created by the Roman Christian religious movement and the process of it's decline.

THE CONCEPT OF APOSTASY AND LOSS IN THE BISHOPRIC (AND ORGANIZATION) OF THE ROMAN RELIGIOUS MOVEMENT

While the Dogmatists continue dogmatizing they should spend more time with the historians. Dogknox20s claims regarding Bishops reminds me of a logia of Jesus in the Gospel of Thomas as follows : “Jesus said, “The kingdom of the [father] is like a certain woman who was carrying a [jar] full of meal. While she was walking [on the] road, still some distance from home, the handle of the jar broke and the meal emptied out behind her [on] the road. She did not realize it; she had noticed no accident. When she reached her house, she set the jar down and found it empty.

The evolution of the Roman Congregation from one of the original congregations among many other congregations in the early group of Christian Churches into the morally decadent period of apostasy of the later religious organization was not an obvious event at the time. Rather, like the Jar of the woman, the organization slowly changed and much of what was worthwhile and good, was lost along the route of historical changes that were made.

THE EVOLUTION OF AND DECLINE OF THE ROMAN MOVEMENTS OFFICE OF BISHOP

THE RISE OF INEQUALITY AMONG BISHOPS

Even by the time of Nicea, this principle of Bishops being a group of “equals” had been abandoned. The great and telling concluding speech of the great Council of Nicaea was an appeal by the emperor to the bishops to remember the principle that they had already started to abandon : that the decision of which bishop is really superior to another must rest with God. You must yield gracefully to each other,” says Constantine, and so avoid all this terrible dissension.” The emperor’s imperial advice was not enough to stop moral decline and bad behaviors among the bishops, and thus, soon afterwards, he again wrote in a general epistle another rebuke repeating his demand that they return to this principle, sayingAccording to God’s law, bishops must be equal But the irony was that BECAUSE bishops were equal, they could not solve the question of leadership after the prophets and apostles died, since any disputes could be settled by the Apostles.

To settle differences among the various provinces,” Eusebius tells us that the emperor himself, acting as a common bishop appointed by God, he [the emperor] would summon synods of the ministers of God” It was the emperor who was acting as a bishop. He continues : “ … He sat in their midst as one of their number, entirely without armed retainers.”;

The history of the inexorable decline (generally, not individually) of the Roman Movements office of Bishop, did not begin with oppression and corruption with political power and riches, but rather the relative equality of the early office of Christian bishop began to be replaced by inequality based on non-religious qualities.

For example, this principle became established that the bishop in the metropolis has charge of the entire province because all those who have any business come together from all directions in the metropolis; therefore, it was decided that he should accordingly be afforded a superior honor and that the other bishops should undertake nothing further without him.. .” (Council of Antioch, Canon 9, in Hefele, Histoire des Counciles d’Apres led Documents Originaux, 1:717)

THE GRADUAL CHANGE IN HOW AND WHO WAS CALLED AS A BISHOP

The early apostles were often unlikely candidates for their calling. Jesus calls tax collectors, and unlearned fishermen, even Paul, the persecutor of Christians was an unlikely person to call to be an apostle. The calling of Bishops was originally, not based on religious training or political popularity or experience in rhetorical speech making. However, soon, these characteristics became the criteria upon which Bishops were called in the early periods of the Roman Christian religious movement.

There there were early attempts to create history to support religious claims.
For example, in the counterfeit pseudo-Clementine letters. In this fictitious account, the apostle Peter insists that Clement take over his office : “You are the best qualified of all he says … you lead a moral life, you are well instructed in the doctrine, and you have been with me and heard me preach more than anyone else…so the sooner you agree, the quicker you will relieve me of a great worry.” (Clement. Epistola ad jacobum 3, in PG 2:36-37) The language in this spurious letter reflects the later way a roman Bishop began to be called to an office.

The roman call to religious offices began to mimic the characteristics desires for political and non-religious offices.
There is no mention of God’s will or of prophetic revelation. A bishop became chosen on practical grounds such as prior “moral character”; his "training" and his "experience". “A bishop” says the apostolic constitutions “must be trained and experienced in speech [logos]…He must not be over fifty years old..” the office became occupied by one who was trained and experienced in the word, as befitted his age.

The first duty of the bishop, says Ambrose, is to teach, and thus "bishops like everyone else must study and learn before they are ready to teach". (Ambrose, De Officii Ministribus 1.3, in PL 16:27)

This is NOT the same criteria as inspiration and revelation as was common in early judao-christianity. Instead in this same text on offices of the ministry, Ambrose tells us the source of his dogma regarding a bishopric by relating that his whole essay could be written using phrases “from the schools of philosophy”.

THE EVOLUTION OF THE OFFICE OF BISHOP INTO A POLITICAL OFFICE

The religious office was too often melded into and associated with the political office and it’s political power. Political office became magistracy, and most magistrates were priests in Rome; the political structure became synonymous with the state church.

The degree to which the church power was contaminated with political power and riches was not lost on the historians. The great significance of priesthood in public life, says Georg Wissowa, lay in the fact that “its bearers all held at the same time the highest civil offices and so played the decisive role in the senate.”

Augustine’s own popular election to his high office,( like many of his friends), was basically a "popularity contest". As Possidius described in Vita Sancti Augustini Episcopi 4, (in PL 32:36-37), "the people chanted his name over and over again in front of his house" and would have become violent "had he not accepted the honor which it was their right to bestow". Bishops became elected by the people of the city and thus it was reported that Ambrose made bishop of Milan before he was even a Christian.

Such criteria and characteristics as these cannot BE solely applied to the authentic office of apostle or Bishop or any other calling made by God. The Lord alone chose apostles (some, who are unpopular types – such as tax collectors, etc), but the roman type of bishops had become popular candidates in every aspect. The defensor of the Roman Church has informed us,wrote Cassiodorus, that lately, when a president was sought for the Papal chair, so much were the usual largesses to the poor augmented by the promises which had been extorted from the candidate, that, shameful to say, even the sacred vessels were exposed to sale in order to provide the necessary money.” (Cassiodorus, Historia Ecclesiastica 9.15, in PL 69:779)

Thus had the authentic Judao-christian office of bishop changed from a sacred religious office, and had, in the roman system of theology, more resembled a political office with all the corruption associated with a candidacy. It often came to resemble the deep corruption of political offices bought and sold in the roaring 30’s in America….along with its viciousness and corruptions of the warring parties.

For example : The rivalry between Damasus and Liberious and their roman “relilgio-political” constituents was not settled until the corpses of 137 of “the faithful” had been removed from the scene of the controversy in St. Peter’s. The first epistle of Clement deals with these very type of conditions in Corinth, which the writer findsloathsome, disgusting, and devilish.

As if to try to separate the church from the values; actions and corruptions of its bishops, the patrologia Gracae reminds us that "a bad bishop, is not really a bishop having been appointed not by God but by men". (PG 1:1068) Thus many of the “bad bishops” of rome, were not real and true bishops while others may have been. Under this arbitrary rule, one could never know if a bishop was a "true" bishop or a "false" bishop. Some were “successors” and some were not.
POST TWO OF TWO FOLLOWS

Clear

Premium Member
POST TWO OF TWO

THE POLITICAL OFFICE STARTED “DOING WHAT POLITICIANS DID” – THEY SOUGHT FOR POWER

The irony is that when one looks, historically, at how a group gains power and influence anciently, the history of how they reached the current civil state of affairs is not always civil.

After the Apostles and Prophets had died off, the various congregations of Christian Churches were left to determine and develop and proselyte their own type of Christianity as they developed in different dogmatic directions. The type of Christian theology developed by the Romans became the most influential type of Christian theology in the west. This was not due to it being more correct than other christianities, but rather it was mainly for due to geopolitical reasons,

Frankel reminded us that in conflict, it is not necessarily the good and honest that come to power, but rather it is those who are aggressive and who are willing to engage in aggressive tactics to succeed. I do not think it was any different for the roman theologians and their followers.

The Political fight for power and prominence

When the “rank of churches became determined by the prominence of cities as civil capitals,” it was inevitable that clashes between the rivals for prominence would take place. The Great Catholic Historian Duchesne observed thatthe bishops of the capital did not content themselves for long with being the ecclesiastical heads of a single diocese.” P 99 This was simply human nature.

Once the episcopal seat became the highest office in the city, it became the goal of the ambition and the unscrupulous and those who were aggressive in nature. There are legions of examples of this phenomenon.It is not the priestly office that is to blame,” writes Chrystostom, commenting on the increasing and spreading evil in his time,but those who abuse it, as every intelligent person admits.”

Yet they continued to elect morally and religiously unqualified men , and wolves in sheeps robes instead, so that “in our day it has reached the point where, unless God very quickly snatches us from the danger and saves us and his church [all will be lost]. Pray tell me, where do you think all these riots come from that now fill the churches? From nothing in the world but the false teaching of those at the head, and from these haphazard and uncontrolled elections”.

He continues to discuss the state of contention in this early church :Some are actually filling the churches with murder, leading whole cities to riot and revolt, all because they are fighting [to get themselves elected bishops].It is very difficult to imagine a more corrupt system developing. And, what sort of person would rise to the top to lead such rabble but the strongest and best able to subdue the others?

Thus the great Tertullian himself contemptuously describes the one “who calls himself the bishop of bishops.” and later Cyprian himself becomes so disgusted as to saywe recognize no bishop of bishops”. Though such religious individuals are disgusted at the type of individuals who are elected, they could not expect that a religious “lamb” was going to be elected to lead a rabble made of “pseudo-religious wolves”. Of course there are NOT just wolves in this mix, there are incredibly faithful and wonderful individuals in the mix. BUT, they are not aggressive nor are they willing to wage a limited war to gain control.

Thus, In this time of the apostolic fathers there is “fierce, loathsome, riotous sedition” within the Christian communities and the object of their warfare is so often the support of rival candidates to the office of bishop. Though the original and authentic episcopal office was not a political one, it certainly became one once it became the gift of popular election. This later episcopal office is NO LONGER an “apostolic” office.

THE INCREASINGLY POLITICAL NATURE OF ELECTIONS OF THE BISHOP OF ROME

There are good reasons for Tertullian and Cyprian and the apostolic fathers to complain of the lack of authentic religious leadership. The complete absence of any clear principle of succession at rome is strongly witnessed by the terrible strife and confusion accompanying the election of bishops in that city, especially during the fourth century. About a.d. 220, the double election of Callistus and Heppolytus led to a serious schism in the city, and the trouble was not settled until 235. Then came the schism between Cornelius and Novatus. In 354 Liberious was ordained 34th bishop of Rome, but the emperor wanted one of his own men in the position and made it an issue of doctrine to install his friend Felix.

However, the people had elected Liberious, and were insistent. The emperor finally recalled him to preside in Rome as joint bishop of Rome with Felix. But popular demonstrations continued, and the circus resounced with the shout of thousands who repeatedly exclaimed, “One God, One Christ, One bishop!” (Theodoret, Historia Ecclesiatica 2.14, in PG 82:1041)

Even worse trouble arose a few years later with the ordination of the next bishop of Rome, Damasus, whose election was challenged by the bishops, who elected a rival, Ursinus. When Damasus became bishop, writes Socrates, rioting instantly broke out all over rome because the preceding bishop had chosen not Damasus but Ursinus to be his successor (Socrates Scholasticus, Historia ecclesiatica 4.29, in PG 67:541). “So all the people rose in arms against each other, not because of any doctrine or heresy, but purely and simply over the issue of who was authorized to sit in the episcopal throne.” (Socrates Scholasticus, Historia ecclesiatica 4.29, in PG 67:541). Plainly there was still no definite rule of succession.

The next papal election brought on another crisis, reported by a contemporary, Ammianus: under Theodoric,Symmachus and Laurentius being both consecrated, fought for the episcopal throne of Rome. By God’s decree, Symmachus, being worthy of the office, was victorious.” (Ammianus Marcellinus, Excerpta Valesiana 12.65.)

That is a significant principle of succession, for the barbarians who were ruling at the time ( and Theodoric and Ammianus were both barbarians) often believed in trial by duel: that the winner of a ritual combat was chosen of God. They now apply that principle to the election of the Roman Bishop, though is does not seem very apostolic. Later, another Symmachus, a deacon, became bishop of Rome, being “consecrated by a crowd of deacons,” says Theophanes,from which came rioting, killing, and plundering in the city, which lasted for three years.” (Theophanes, chronographia 493, in PG 108:344)

THE GAINING OF POWER AND WEALTH AND INFLUENCE

However, once the Bishop start to vie for personal pre-eminence, they almost immediately engage in worldliness, pride and oppression. Christ called fishermen and tent makers and tax collectors to this supreme authority,” wrote Chrystostom, but the present clergy simply spit on those who earn their living by daily toil; whereas if someone is devoted to worldly studies, avoids hard work, etc., they receive him with open arms and admiration. Why is it that they pass right by those who have toiled and sweated all their days for the upbuilding of the church to give all the highest church offices to somebody who had never raised a finger to do any work but wasted all his time dabbling in useless, ornamental, worldly learning?

Even the arguments at Nicaea become contaminated with the desire for pre-eminence and power and influence. For example, the letters in Patrologiae Latinae `13:583-88 indicate the east-west Arian controversy very much part of the terrible struggle for episcopal pre-eminence. It often became a contest, not between theologians arguing for a specific truth, but between individuals vying for power influence and power and using their arguments to demonstrate their rhetorical and debating skills and superior knowledge.

As the church began to accumulate power and riches under the favor of the emperor, Eusebius tells how some that appeared to be our pastors, deserting the law of piety, were inflamed against each other with mutual strifes, only accumulating quarrels and threats, rivalry, hostility, and hatred to each others, only anxious to assert the government as a kind of sovereignty for themselves.

But the events that occurred in the intermediate time, besides those already related, I have thought proper to pass by; I mean particularly the circumstances of the different heads of the churches, who from being shepherds of the reasonable flocks of Christ…did not govern in a lawful and becoming manner…[there were] ambitious aspirings of many to office, …great schisms and difficulties industriously fomented by the factions among the new members, against the relics of the church, devising one innovation after another. (Eusebius, Ecclesiatical History, 374-75; Eusebius, De Martyribus Palaestinae 12, in PG 20:1511-14)

THERE WAS AN ALMOST IMMEDIATE TENDENCY TO ABUSE POWER FOR THE GAIN OF PROPERTY, FOR THE INCREASE IN MEMBERSHIP AND THE OPRESSION OF THOSE UNWILLING TO CONFORM

For a discussion and many, many, many examples of this point, see the examples and discussion in my posts #211 and #218 for church policies that legalized slavery, public thievery from the population and oppression for the purpose of gaining and maintaining money and influence and power.

Like the woman and the jar that was initially full of meal, but had leaked and was later empty, the simple Roman congregation that started out as one of the congregation of the authentic Church of Christ had evolved and morphed into a political organization bent on gaining power and wealth but (at least for a very dark period of time) was empty of the authentic moral religiosity and piety that was once found in it.

Dogknox20. My point is not to give you grief, but to expose you to the world beyond dogmatic claims and pseudo-facts and simply offering grandiose claims that, once scrutinized, are historically untenable. While the Catholic doctrines have much in them that is true and wonderful, the false claims you are making are not among those wonderful things.
Nothing you have said has justified your condescending claim that other Christians who do not believe as you do regarding the trinity "are not Christians".

In any case, I hope your journey is insightful and wonderful and I hope you continue to honor God and Jesus the Christ for his wondrous and singular and profound gift of the atonement he has wrought for mankind.

Clear
δρδρφυακω και φυφυτζω

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
POST ONE OF TWO

Clear, history is interesting to be sure, the rise and fall of leaders, the human need to have organized social structures and how to best form those structures. I do think "by the people for the people" is the best political model, and see democracy, with freedom of religious beliefs, as being the best place to organize social structures.

Religious organizations tend to be very troublesome.... when the emperor of Japan claims to be half God, or a leader of a church claims to speak for God - that they cannot be questioned... they are just people, they do not speak for God. we are all just imperfect people. Democracy works fairly well because the president does not claim to speak for God, they claim to listen to the people, and do the best they can for what they understand...

I removed my membership from the LDS church because of the child abuse there. I am now experiencing what it means to live with no denominational title, no religious tribe, and am finding there is much to be gained spiritually through putting aside dogmas and putting aside hours and hours and study to trade for hours and hours of work and service. I do not view preaching as the highest service one can render to others. I think the gospel is much more simple now, and is lived more by poor children in countries who have never held a Bible, than by those who spend time in great and spacious buildings wearing fancy clothing who are puffed up in their learning...

How much time have you spent at homeless shelters in comparison to how much time have you spent reading and learning this week Clear? .... I hope you are able to spend time outside, spend time with loved ones, spend time off the screen this week not worried about what someone believes, and instead just being there - being present with people. Best wishes to you on your journey.

Clear

Premium Member
Hi @idea

1) THE CONCEPT OF THE MORAL INTELLIGENCE CHARACTERIZED BY SERVICE AND SELFLESSNESS TRUMPING FACTUAL KNOWLEDGE

While I cannot know the real reason you left communion with a congregation, I do think you are perfectly correct that authentic religion is inseparably connected with our lives and how we live them and that service to others is weighed heavier in the moral balance than the facts we accumulated.

I think that your question about how much service I have rendered is telling and profound and the answer embarrasing compared to how much service I think I should have rendered in my life.
Thank you for the reminder.

I suspect the mother Teressas of the world will feel much more at home in a heaven than the less moral but more studied persons.

I hope whatever spiritual journey you take in life, I hope it is a good and satisfying one @idea

Clear

Dogknox20

POST ONE OF TWO

Dogknox20, While you seem to be aware of the party line and dogmatic talk of the Roman Bishopric, perhaps you might want to at least introduce yourself to a bit of the world of the historian regarding the type of bishopric created by the Roman Christian religious movement and the process of it's decline.

THE CONCEPT OF APOSTASY AND LOSS IN THE BISHOPRIC (AND ORGANIZATION) OF THE ROMAN RELIGIOUS MOVEMENT

While the Dogmatists continue dogmatizing they should spend more time with the historians. Dogknox20s claims regarding Bishops reminds me of a logia of Jesus in the Gospel of Thomas as follows : “Jesus said, “The kingdom of the [father] is like a certain woman who was carrying a [jar] full of meal. While she was walking [on the] road, still some distance from home, the handle of the jar broke and the meal emptied out behind her [on] the road. She did not realize it; she had noticed no accident. When she reached her house, she set the jar down and found it empty.

The evolution of the Roman Congregation from one of the original congregations among many other congregations in the early group of Christian Churches into the morally decadent period of apostasy of the later religious organization was not an obvious event at the time. Rather, like the Jar of the woman, the organization slowly changed and much of what was worthwhile and good, was lost along the route of historical changes that were made.

THE EVOLUTION OF AND DECLINE OF THE ROMAN MOVEMENTS OFFICE OF BISHOP

THE RISE OF INEQUALITY AMONG BISHOPS

Even by the time of Nicea, this principle of Bishops being a group of “equals” had been abandoned. The great and telling concluding speech of the great Council of Nicaea was an appeal by the emperor to the bishops to remember the principle that they had already started to abandon : that the decision of which bishop is really superior to another must rest with God. You must yield gracefully to each other,” says Constantine, and so avoid all this terrible dissension.” The emperor’s imperial advice was not enough to stop moral decline and bad behaviors among the bishops, and thus, soon afterwards, he again wrote in a general epistle another rebuke repeating his demand that they return to this principle, sayingAccording to God’s law, bishops must be equal But the irony was that BECAUSE bishops were equal, they could not solve the question of leadership after the prophets and apostles died, since any disputes could be settled by the Apostles.

To settle differences among the various provinces,” Eusebius tells us that the emperor himself, acting as a common bishop appointed by God, he [the emperor] would summon synods of the ministers of God” It was the emperor who was acting as a bishop. He continues : “ … He sat in their midst as one of their number, entirely without armed retainers.”;

The history of the inexorable decline (generally, not individually) of the Roman Movements office of Bishop, did not begin with oppression and corruption with political power and riches, but rather the relative equality of the early office of Christian bishop began to be replaced by inequality based on non-religious qualities.

For example, this principle became established that the bishop in the metropolis has charge of the entire province because all those who have any business come together from all directions in the metropolis; therefore, it was decided that he should accordingly be afforded a superior honor and that the other bishops should undertake nothing further without him.. .” (Council of Antioch, Canon 9, in Hefele, Histoire des Counciles d’Apres led Documents Originaux, 1:717)

THE GRADUAL CHANGE IN HOW AND WHO WAS CALLED AS A BISHOP

The early apostles were often unlikely candidates for their calling. Jesus calls tax collectors, and unlearned fishermen, even Paul, the persecutor of Christians was an unlikely person to call to be an apostle. The calling of Bishops was originally, not based on religious training or political popularity or experience in rhetorical speech making. However, soon, these characteristics became the criteria upon which Bishops were called in the early periods of the Roman Christian religious movement.

There there were early attempts to create history to support religious claims.
For example, in the counterfeit pseudo-Clementine letters. In this fictitious account, the apostle Peter insists that Clement take over his office : “You are the best qualified of all he says … you lead a moral life, you are well instructed in the doctrine, and you have been with me and heard me preach more than anyone else…so the sooner you agree, the quicker you will relieve me of a great worry.” (Clement. Epistola ad jacobum 3, in PG 2:36-37) The language in this spurious letter reflects the later way a roman Bishop began to be called to an office.

The roman call to religious offices began to mimic the characteristics desires for political and non-religious offices.
There is no mention of God’s will or of prophetic revelation. A bishop became chosen on practical grounds such as prior “moral character”; his "training" and his "experience". “A bishop” says the apostolic constitutions “must be trained and experienced in speech [logos]…He must not be over fifty years old..” the office became occupied by one who was trained and experienced in the word, as befitted his age.

The first duty of the bishop, says Ambrose, is to teach, and thus "bishops like everyone else must study and learn before they are ready to teach". (Ambrose, De Officii Ministribus 1.3, in PL 16:27)

This is NOT the same criteria as inspiration and revelation as was common in early judao-christianity. Instead in this same text on offices of the ministry, Ambrose tells us the source of his dogma regarding a bishopric by relating that his whole essay could be written using phrases “from the schools of philosophy”.

As if to try to separate the church from the values; actions and corruptions of its bishops, the patrologia Gracae reminds us that "a bad bishop, is not really a bishop having been appointed not by God but by men". (PG 1:1068) Thus many of the “bad bishops” of rome, were not real and true bishops while others may have been. Under this arbitrary rule, one could never know if a bishop was a "true" bishop or a "false" bishop. Some were “successors” and some were not.
POST TWO OF TWO FOLLOWS
Here you go again... Opinion! You are hung up on authority of the Church!
Clear you seem to think Bishops should not have authority! Historical documented FACT: It was the Catholic Bishops that gave you your bible!
There were hundreds of letters kicking around, no one knew what letters were inspired words of God and what were not! In 400 A.D. with the help of God the Holy Spirit the Holy Catholic Church decided what letters were Inspired words of God and what were not! Then she put all the inspired words of God into one book she named "The Bible"!
Clear Toss your bible out of your window; you cannot trust the AUTHORITY of the Church that put it together how can you trust she Got It Right!?

Luke 10:16Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.”
Clear this is scripture (above) you MUST REJECT as lies from God! This verse is addressed to the One and ONLY Church Jesus established; the Holy Catholic Church with Peter the first chief Shepherd!
Clear By rejecting the Church you reject God! This verse was NOT addressed to your church your church was started by a man! Your church is trying to re-FORM what Jesus could not hold on to!

Clear Scriptures are clear... "Jesus is ALWAYS WITH His Church to the very end of time!" This means Jesus is STILL with the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church today!
Jesus commissioned his Church to TEACH ALL NATION!" The Holy Catholic Church has brought Jesus and salvation to the whole world by Preaching & Teaching!

Matthew 28:20 Teach them to do everything I have commanded you. “And remember that I am always with you until the end of time.”

To be in PROTEST you must reject the scriptures! The De-Formation started the fragmenting of man, the convoluted beliefs of the de-Formers continues the fragmentation to this day!

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi @adrian009

1) MULTIPLE SOURCES OF TRUTHS AND MULTIPLE LANGUAGES TRUTHS MAY BE TAUGHT IN

The concept that the gospel (whatever that is) is to be preached in all nations and in their own tongue, in my mind is not a narrow and provincial principle. To me, this specific principle means that just as there are many languages and many symbol sets that are different according to the multitude of societies and races, there must be an underlying principle that is involved in this communication of truth to the world.

For example, having grown up in my culture, if I dreamed of an angel as a child, the angel may have been a blond haired Caucasian who spoke English. IF I had grown up in Mexico, the angel may have had dark hair and darker skin and would have spoken Spanish. If I grew up in Africa in an obscure tribe, the angel I dreamed of may have had darker skin, perhaps short curly hair and spoken the language of my tribe.

My point is that all people grown up with and become accultured to their own symbol set through which they see the world and my current thought is that God communicates most efficiently through the individuals own set of cultural symbols.

I would have no problem seeing moral truths taught by Confucius, Siddhartha, Mohammed, Bahá'u'lláh, the Catholic Pope, or others who were enlightened and spread what truth they could using the symbol set of various peoples prepared and able to receive some greater level of moral truth than they had before.

2) MUSINGS REGARDING THE PHRASE "NO MAN COMETH UNTO THE FATHER BUT BY ME" IN JOHN 14:6

The concept underlying the phrase that “no man cometh unto the father, but by me” is interesting because, in the Greek, it has various nuances that do not come out in the English and the phrasing of a translation is affected by the translator.

The final phrase of John 14:6, is “…ουδεις ερχεται προς τον πατερα ει μη δι εμου.”

I can imagine historians discussing the potential various meaning of this phrase that pure “translators” may not have. Literally the phrase is that no man comes to the Father “if not “[because of / through / if not for / by virtue of] me”.

The word of interest in this specific phrase is the Greek δι (often shortening of “dia”, thus the translator used “by” or “through” me).
However, the ancient δια (or modern Greek για) has multiple meanings and nuances that are possible. For example, modern για’s main meaning is “on account of” (in the accusative).

In such a case it denotes a “manner of accomplishment” in it’s various forms.
Did Christ then mean that mankind will only return to the Father “because of” or “on account of” what Jesus has done?
Is he referring to his future resurrection?
Or his atonement? (especially since για can refer to a price that is paid (e.g. για δυο δραχμες – for two drachmae”).
Was Jesus then saying that no man can come unto the father if not for “the price I will pay” for mankind?

It can be used as a temporal reference as well and so did Jesus mean that mankind could not come to the father if not for what Jesus accomplished in his life?
This is how δια is used in P Fay (119:31 of 100 a.d.) when it refers to a thing done “by virtue of” or “by the mechanism of” water acting upon a thing over time..

The word δια has so many different ancient uses and stereotyped phrases that I cannot tell exactly what Jesus was saying other than he seems to refer to a manner of accomplishment of some task he is connected with rather than himself.

I know that this post does not give you any specific answer, but that is not something I feel qualified to do in this specific case.

I hope it may simply illuminate the fact that there are multiple potential meanings that do not involve the exclusion of truths being taught by multiple religions but there is something specific that Jesus did that was necessary for mankind to return to God.

In any case Adrian009, I hope your own spiritual journey is wonderful and insightful.

Clear
δρτωσεειω

Hi @Clear ,

Someone wise once said life is a mystery to be enjoyed, not a problem to be solved. When examining ancient texts from nearly two thousand years ago it is not surprising there will be differences of opinion as to what the author was trying to communicate, even with a text as well studied as the Gospel of John. Modern day scholars can’t even agree on the author let alone some of the core theological meanings.

Today I believe the book was probably written by the Apostle John though believe its impossible to know for certain. The author was most likely Jewish and the book was written after the synoptic Gospels. Stylistically, theologically and in regards content the Gospel of John is quite different from those attributed to Matthew, Mark and Luke. The books compliment each other and are Divinely inspired.

Chapter 14 is part of Jesus’s farewell speech having just predicted His Martyrdom which will take place within the next week. With John 14:6 He reassures His Disciples that He is their Promised Messiah and their efforts are not in vain. Through Him a new capacity is infused for those with eyes to see and ears to hear. A new measure of Gods Grace is Revealed for those who accept Him.

In this day the core challenge facing humanity is achieving unity. That unity is founded on an appreciation of diversity not conformity. In regards religion we don’t all believe the same thing but that’s OK. There is vast territory of common ground. For Catholics, Church of the LDS of Jesus Christ and Baha’is we believe in the God of Abraham, in His Son Jesus and in the Divine Inspiration of the Christian Bible. If we are wise and at peace with God, we will readily acknowledge the precious things we share.

So thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts, knowledge and wisdom. Its nice to hear from one of my fellow believers in Christ. Its nice to hear from one of my medical colleagues.

idea

Question Everything
Hi @idea

1) THE CONCEPT OF THE MORAL INTELLIGENCE CHARACTERIZED BY SERVICE AND SELFLESSNESS TRUMPING FACTUAL KNOWLEDGE

While I cannot know the real reason you left communion with a congregation..

Clear

The real reason I left was because of child abuse in the Mormon church. Sam Young #823. People who ignored it, did not believe it was real, who called him into bishopric and assigned him to work with youth... who perpetuated the abuse for years and years... the spirit does not protect, "Elevation emotion" is not from God, there is no authority, there is abuse of authority.

Last edited:

Dogknox20

Clear, history is interesting to be sure, the rise and fall of leaders, the human need to have organized social structures and how to best form those structures. I do think "by the people for the people" is the best political model, and see democracy, with freedom of religious beliefs, as being the best place to organize social structures.

Religious organizations tend to be very troublesome.... when the emperor of Japan claims to be half God, or a leader of a church claims to speak for God - that they cannot be questioned... they are just people, they do not speak for God. we are all just imperfect people. Democracy works fairly well because the president does not claim to speak for God, they claim to listen to the people, and do the best they can for what they understand...

I removed my membership from the LDS church because of the child abuse there. I am now experiencing what it means to live with no denominational title, no religious tribe, and am finding there is much to be gained spiritually through putting aside dogmas and putting aside hours and hours and study to trade for hours and hours of work and service. I do not view preaching as the highest service one can render to others. I think the gospel is much more simple now, and is lived more by poor children in countries who have never held a Bible, than by those who spend time in great and spacious buildings wearing fancy clothing who are puffed up in their learning...

How much time have you spent at homeless shelters in comparison to how much time have you spent reading and learning this week Clear? .... I hope you are able to spend time outside, spend time with loved ones, spend time off the screen this week not worried about what someone believes, and instead just being there - being present with people. Best wishes to you on your journey.
Hello idea... Good to meet you..
I point out... In the Old Testament a Prophet spoke for God and was the hands of God!
In the Old Testament a Priest was the hands of God!
Moses spoke for God he acted for God!

In the new Testament Jesus appointed Apostles to speak for him to act for him... "Jesus sent them out"!
Because the Apostles could not be in every place they in turn appointed to help them; priests and deacons! Moses and Elijah were chief Prophets!
Jesus appointed Peter to be a Chief Apostle.. He made Peter the person in charge of God' holy flock he made Peter his Shepherd!

idea You reject organized religion...? God formed his Church to preach and teach all the world. He empowered his Church to make disciples by baptizing! Baptism ADDS people to Jesus' risen body.. Communion KEEPS them in him.. IF..

idea
if you remain in Jesus you also will rise to eternal life!
40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.

Dogknox20

POST ONE OF TWO

For example : The rivalry between Damasus and Liberious and their roman “relilgio-political” constituents was not settled until the corpses of 137 of “the faithful” had been removed from the scene of the controversy in St. Peter’s. The first epistle of Clement deals with these very type of conditions in Corinth, which the writer findsloathsome, disgusting, and devilish.

POST TWO OF TWO FOLLOWS

Hello Clear.. I had to delete some of your post because there were too many words thus not allowing me a reply!
First... The Holy Catholic Church is alive; she is growing and evolving in understanding just as a child grows up they inevitably make many mistakes!
YES...There has been some bad popes that thought only of themselves!
YES.. There has been bishops searching for political power.
YES.. all is true...! Fact is: The Church is full to the rafters with sinners! All people are sinners not one is without sin, not one does not need saving! All need Jesus! The point I am making is this; the Church Jesus established is pure and holy without stain or blemish! Those Catholic' within her need saving always did, always will!

Clear The Holy Catholic Church is the Bride of Jesus.. He loves her, he died for her!

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless

Clear Yes you are right there has been scoundrels' within but the Church remains holy, the love of Jesus!
She has matured, now full grown she is dedicated to the saving of souls! Moving from a political power to just a city state. Her goals have changes now with her growth in understanding! Today she is a voice for the poor sick elderly marginalized!
Guided by the Holy Spirt for the past two thousand years she will never fall she is built on Rock not sand!

John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever
FOREVER guiding the Only Church Jesus established!

You said... there is something specific that Jesus did that was necessary for mankind to return to God.
I reply: Yes there was something specific Jesus did for mankind! He rose from the dead! Only God is sinless; Jesus came to earth as a man so he could die as a man!
Clear Can't die as a man if first you are not born!
Jesus died sinless so death could not hold him down "The wages of sin is death"!
Mankind can return to God if they are IMMERSED into the risen body of Jesus! Baptism immerses us into the risen Body of Jesus.. Communion KEEPS us in his can't die again body!

Clear I remain In Jesus because I eat this living manna come down from heaven! I am In communion with Jesus; he is in me and I am IMMERSED into him!

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”