• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 14:6 , how do you reconcile this for O.T. persons?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and David never existed
It is virtually impossible for you to know that, plus there is one piece of evidence found that seemingly verifies that David did indeed exist, and that latter point has been discussed here before. Your approach above has as much blind belief involved as the staunchest religious fundamentalist tends to have.

Etritonakin

Presenting this again,
John 14:6

If Jesus is the only way to the father, then how did the O.T. persons know God?

How do you reconcile this?
This question is mostly directed at those considering themselves biblical adherents,
None have seen the Father -yet Moses saw the back parts of "I AM".

The Word -who was with the Father from the beginning -is the being who became Christ.

Before that he was Melchizedek -and "I AM".

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Heb 7:1This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2and Abraham apportioned to him a tenth of everything. First, his name means “king of righteousness.” Then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” 3Without father or mother or genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God, he remains a priest for all time.

Though it does it in a very roundabout way, Heb 7 explains that Christ was Melchizedek.

Also, it was the being who became Christ that did the creating of all things in the beginning.

As it says all things were made by and for the Word -who became Christ. This was as directed by the Father, but the Word has always been the one to go forth to do and speak for the Father -hence the name.

Last edited:

Sanzbir

Presenting this again,

This question is mostly directed at those considering themselves biblical adherents,

I'm not Christian, but it should be a simple matter, theologically speaking, for a Christian to answer:

Christians believe Jesus is God. Therefore the verse states that only through God can one come to know God. God comes to people so they can know Him in the Old Testament. It should be as simple as that. Trinitarian belief solves any sort of conundrum you could have with that verse.

Being non-Christian and non-Trinitarian, but believing in the sameness of all God's Prophets, then the verse to me would be a statement that none can know God except through a Prophet of God.

Magus

Moses must have being a drug addict, if he was inhaling from a burning bush and hallucinating,
It is virtually impossible for you to know that, plus there is one piece of evidence found that seemingly verifies that David did indeed exist, and that latter point has been discussed here before. Your approach above has as much blind belief involved as the staunchest religious fundamentalist tends to have.

By your logic, Hercules, Perseus, Prometheus, Theseus, Jason, Achilles, Icarus, Odysseus and Theseus exist.

Sanzbir

By your logic, Hercules, Perseus, Prometheus, Theseus, Jason, Achilles, Icarus, Odysseus and Theseus exist.

It seems to me that by your logic, say, the viking raider Imar did not exist. :p Sure there's plenty of Irishmen who wrote down after the fact that he lived, raided, and fathered a clan of Norse raiders that variously involved themselves in Irish politic of the day, but the only records of Imar existing is on paper, so logically he can't have been real.

For the record, I have no dog in this fight. My faith has photographs of its relatively recent prophets, I just find your supposed disbelief in all persons recorded only by paper sort of ridiculous. ;)

Like of the people you mention above, Jason and Achilles for example: Sure they are written down in mythology but it seems at least possible that real people inspired those tales. Troy seems to have been a real place, after all, so those stories of that war came from somewhere.

Grandliseur

Presenting this again,

I wish you had phrased it a little differently. Are you thinking of Jews, or all people before Christ?

If you read the book of Job, and even Paul, you will find your answer.
Job told us that he was looking forward to his redeemer!
Job 19:25: And as for me, I know that my Redeemer liveth, and the Last, he shall stand upon the earth;​

Paul told us also that the Mosaic Law was a tutor leading to Christ!
Galatians 3:24: So that the law has been our tutor up to Christ, that we might be justified on the principle of faith.​

The way it was a tutor is somewhat easy to explain if you were a Jew. The thing is that the Law (of Moses) promised all to live not by faith, but by works. If they obeyed the Law perfectly, they would never die; on the other hand, if they disobeyed even a little, they would die, for 'the sinner shall die.'

This is how they all came to realize that by works of Law (M), none would survive, and all would be condemned to eternal death. Thus, they all remembered the Passover Lamb that had the angel of death pass over that house and forgive the ones in that house (the firstborn). They realized that the Messiah promised would come and redeem them. Thus all of them looked forward to Christ, they all (mostly) believed in him. So, even Noah, Abraham, and all the others before Christ believed in his redemption of them - to come.

All non Jews that never knew God shall be judged by Christ according to their own consciences on the day of judgment:
Rom 3:
14 For when those of the nations, which have no law, practise by nature the things of the law, these, having no law, are a law to themselves; 15 who shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts accusing or else excusing themselves between themselves;) 16 in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men, according to my glad tidings, by Jesus Christ.​

So, everybody shall be judged by Christ. Some will have to be resurrected (the unrighteous) and then be taught about Christ, about God. If they accept the faith, they get to live and be tested when satan is let out of prison.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Because the meaning of John 14:6 refers to the messianic claims of Jesus, not to an exclusive path to salvation as many Christians believe.
Messianic claims shouldn't affect this simple statement, regardless of whether you take it literally, or not. There is really no indication in the bible, O.T., or N.T. , that one cannot know God, without Messianic fulfillment. That belief might, or seems to be extra biblical, however I have no idea how it was derived.

whirlingmerc

All people saved ever were saved by the work of Jesus, some looking forward (albiet imperfectly) and some looking backwards ( with more clarity). All lean on God's mercies and are righteous by faith as Abraham was.