• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 1:1

J2hapydna

Most English Bibles (KJV, NIV etc) say “the Word was God” in John 1:1. However the JW Bible (NWT) says “the Word was a god”. Which is right?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It appears that the right word for controversy in John 1:1 is with.
Read it with the word "with" as to, then add to [back] between 'and' and God

In the beginning was the word, and the word was to God, and to God was the word.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some say it was and is not possible to change the meaning of what we have called "holy scripture".
And, the whole World lies in the liar. The book says that!

pros: advantageous for, at (denotes local proximity), toward (denotes motion toward a place)

Strong's Greek: 4314. πρός (pros) -- advantageous for, at (denotes local proximity), toward (denotes motion toward a place)

3056 [e] Logos Λόγος Word N-NMS
1510 [e] ēn ἦν was V-IIA-3S
4314 [e] pros πρὸς with Prep
3588 [e] ton τὸν - Art-AMS
2316 [e] Theon Θεόν, God,

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Let's us ponder why anyone would not like people to know that the word (any word) is to God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God is to the word as the word is to God. I think that is what he must have meant.

Instead, it is written God is the word and the word is God.

If I am right (I have no idea) then putting in an a is wrong.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Most English Bibles (KJV, NIV etc) say “the Word was God” in John 1:1. However the JW Bible (NWT) says “the Word was a god”. Which is right?
The Logos was God, is correct. "A god" is an invalid translation. The lack of the definite article in the 3rd clause before Theos, denotes the Divine nature of the Logos, not identifying Logos as "a god".

pearl

The NABRE has it;
In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.

In the beginning: also the first words of the Old Testament (Gn 1:1) Was: this verb is used three times with different meanings in this verse: existence, relationship, and predication. The Word (Greek logos): this term combines God’s dynamic, creative word (Genesis), personified preexistent Wisdom as the instrument of God’s creative activity (Proverbs), and the ultimate intelligibility of reality (Hellenistic philosophy). With God: the Greek preposition here connotes communication with another. Was God: lack of a definite article with "God" in Greek signifies predication rather than identification.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's a good one! It is written that she "fell at his feet".
But, according to John 1:1 it might say that she "fell with his feet".

I think it is NOT OK to make jokes about The Holy One. Do you?

Mark 7:25 Greek Text Analysis

Realistically, she fell TO his feet.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
to
to͞o,tə/
preposition
  1. 1.
    expressing motion in the direction of (a particular location).
    "walking down to the mall"

2. 2.
    identifying the person or thing affected.
    "you were terribly unkind to her"

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that you fear that if you believe someone had added meaning or taken meaning away, you would personally have to scrap all your wonderful work and start over.

And, you do not want to.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Semantic games aside: In the beginning is the word, mental universe, collapsing the wave, our father who art in heaven (mental place), quantum theory, all point the same direction. Very cool.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The Word was God. The Word/God's Oral Dictations are divine/god and the creator made his divine dications incarnate so the Word became god/divine.

A god sounds like making the Word another type of divinity separate from the creator. I never heard a JW explain there is more than one divinity so they could be the same but expressed differently.

lostwanderingsoul

The word "God" does not mean one "person". Most people believe "God" to be made up of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Bible says the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. The "Word" was the "person" that later became Jesus. Jesus is not the Father but Jesus is just as much "God" as the Father. Most people use the word "God" incorrectly because they are really talking about the Father. So a better understanding would be to say that "the Word was with the Father and the Word was (part of) God."

J2hapydna

The Logos was God, is correct. "A god" is an invalid translation. The lack of the definite article in the 3rd clause before Theos, denotes the Divine nature of the Logos, not identifying Logos as "a god".

So would you translate it as, Lógos was divine or godly?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So would you translate it as, Lógos was divine or godly?
I think a better way would be, the Logos was Divinity. So the full verse would be best paraphrased, 'Before the beginning of creation, the Logos already existed. And the Logos was inseparably united with the godhead. And the Logos was Divine. All things that were created were through this Logos as the expression of God.

You see, the Logos in John is as the agent of manifestation of the godhead. The Logos expresses God in all acts of creation, manifesting the Divine in the world. And then in verse 14, this Logos expressed the godhead, or the Divine, in human flesh, as a continuation of this as the agent of God's manifestation, from eternity into the world of humans. It's really quite a beautiful image John creates. This by the way is based on a fair amount of scholarship.

lostwanderingsoul

The Father and the Logos are a devine family of two separate beings. These two beings together make up what people refer to as God. When the Logos took on human form as Jesus the relationship was as Father and Son. But even before Jesus these two devine beings shared a close relationship as the two beings that existed from eternity and shared the title of God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the Logos was inseparably united with the godhead. And the Logos was Divine. .
I don't disagree with what you wrote, except that inseparably united with the godhead and divine mean the same.

How about:

the Logos was inseparably united with the godhead, therefore, the Logos is to be known as Divine.

Or. The Logos was inseparably united with the Godhead, therefore, Divine.

I also can't bear hearing about God in the past tense. As in, "the Logos was".

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I also can't bear hearing about God in the past tense. As in, "the Logos was".
While I agree, don't blame me. Blame John. He used the word "was". But bear in mind, it was in the context of referring back to the creation of Genesis where it was a beginnings story. John was saying in effect, in the beginning the Logos already existed, prior to it. You also have to bear in mind that most people, and hence John's audience think in terms of linear time. Yet his word choice takes that linear time and makes it nonlinear in what he says. It's like saying "eternal", and people think of it as a line without end, whereas it has no actual beginning or end, but just "is".

Faithofchristian

That's because JW bible has delated from and added to the Bible. That's why all other Bible's say ( the word was God )
All except the JW bible say ( word was a God ) JW change and added to.

This what brings people to condemn the bible, Because of JW changing and added to the Bible.