• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 1:1-2 problem!

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
This is John 1:1-2

1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2) He was in the beginning with God.

OK, so The Word is God (John 1:1)

But hang on a minute!

He was "with" God??? (John 1:2)

If he is said to have been "with" God does not that detract from him being God?

Surely these two statements cannot both be true?????

Either he is God or he is with God?

Is there a way out of this?

Edit: I think I've solved it!

What I think it means to say is:

"In the beginning was The Word and The Word was a member of The Godhead. He was in the beginning a member of The Godhead"

Last edited:

101G

No, for he is "GOD" in the ECHAD. supportive Scripture, Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:"
and "ONE" in the Hebrew is,
H259 אֶחָד 'echad (ech-awd') adj.
1. (properly) united, i.e. one.
2. (as an ordinal) first.
[a numeral from H258]
KJV: a, alike, alone, altogether, and, any(-thing), apiece, a certain, (dai-)ly, each (one), + eleven, every, few, first, + highway, a man, once, one, only, other, some, together.
Root(s): H258

so, the ONE God, is LORD all caps. but is he the First?..... lets see it in Scripture where he "ONE" Person is the First and the Last, not two separate person but the same one person in several dispensations.

Scripture, Isaiah 41:4 "Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he."

so the LORD is the First and "WITH" the Last..... correct. but he says "I AM HE", one person. hold that term "WITH" in your head, now this.

Isaiah 48:12 "Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last." BINGO, the same one person. for also means, in addition; too,

now back to John 1:1. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

so the Word is the same one Person, ...... GOD, just as God is the Same one Person, who is the First, is "ALSO" the Last, the same one Person, just as John 1:1c clearly says, "and the Word was God."

hope that helped,

101G.

wellwisher

1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

But hang on a minute!

"In the beginning was The Word and The Word was a member of The Godhead. He was in the beginning a member of The Godhead"

The invention of written language was found to occur in same time frame as the Biblical account in Genesis; 5000-6000 years ago.

If written language was the catalyst, that opened the human mind; ego evolves, and allowed civilization to firmly root; also same time frame, then the first written word, using that new invention, would be the word, God. This invention came from God, since it did not grow on trees, but was unique to the earth. One might say it formed within the unconscious mind with a powerful evolutionary potential, that would alter humanity.

In honor of creative source, the first written word was God. My guess is the alphabet was built from that word; center words that spokes out for the rest of the letters. It not clear what symbols were used to spell god, but it worked.

When the printing press was invented, the first published book was the Bible. Just as mass machine printing of books, would open the minds of the masses, the written language invention did the same for culture. Now they had shared documented knowledge, that worked; sacred scrolls.

Before written language, spoken language was very common. However, it was not as reliable for recording long term data. People forget or the story becomes embellished. Humans would need a written record so they could see the original, if that was still the best; gold standard. This invention allow honest commerce. It also was a way to record science observations, for others to study. Without written language, science was like a craft with an apprentice; assistant; hand and eye. After the invention of writing, it must have been an exciting time with all the new capacities.

Interestingly, Adam was made from the dust of the earth. I can see stone dust from Adam practicing the new invention on stone tablets. His mind is expanding and he become a new person. In tradition, Adam was good in Math and Science. Knowledge of good and evil was more liberal arts; Eve.

lostwanderingsoul

The Word was with the Father, who is also God. Both are God. God is not the name of one "person" but the name of the group that includes both the Father and the Word. Or Both Father and Son since the Word became Jesus.

user4578

Did you ever read Proverbs 8, or when you did were you saying the same things? Wisdom vs God they aren"t the same, they can't be both, etc.?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
More than one way. Its not a closed puzzle, because you have to bring a context to it. If you bring your own assumptions then you get a particular result. In a way its like a math function; for every X you get out a different Y.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
2) He was in the beginning with God. OK, so The Word is God (John 1:1)
But hang on a minute! He was "with" God??? (John 1:2)
Surely these two statements cannot both be true?????Either he is God or he is with God?
Is there a way out of this?Edit: I think I've solved it! What I think it means to say is:
Yes, pre-human heavenly Jesus was with his God according to John at Revelation 3:14 B
In other words, Jesus was " IN " the beginning but Jesus was Never ' before ' the beginning as his God was.
Pre-human heavenly Jesus was created - Proverbs 8:22; 8:30
Whereas, God is from everlasting meaning only God was ' before ' the beginning of anything.- Psalms 90:2
Jesus credited his God as being the Creator - Revelation 4:11
Plus reading down to John 1:18 we read No man has seen God at any time. People saw Jesus.
No man can see God and live - Exodus 33:20; 1 John 4:12 - people saw Jesus and lived.
No man has seen the Father according to Jesus at John 6:46.
Jesus never told a lie, and truthfully answered at John 10:36 that he was God's Son.
Plus, dead Jesus was resurrected by his God - Acts of the Apostles 3:15; 2:32; 5:30; 13:30,37

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
............. God is not the name of one "person" but the name of the group that includes both the Father and the Word. Or Both Father and Son since the Word became Jesus.

Yes, the 'word' as God's spokesman was Jesus speaking for his God.
Yes, God is a title and Not the name of one person. Just as Lord is Not a name but a title.
There are two (2) LORD/Lord's mentioned at Psalms 110
The KJV LORD in ALL Upper-Case letters stands for the Tetragrammaton YHWH for God's personal name.
The other Lord, in some lower-case letters, stands for Lord Jesus, and No Tetragrammaton applied to Lord Jesus.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

But hang on a minute!

God has no self imposed limit that says he can't be both One and Three. Just because it sounds illogical to our limited understanding doesn't make it untrue.