• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job hunting

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Well, I just submitted my application to the Smithsonian. They have an opening for a fossil preparator and I figured no guts no glory. It's not everyday you get to apply for your dream job.

Just had to share the nerve wracking excitement. :jiggy:

wa:do

MissAlice

Wow that sounds like fun. I always wanted to work with or at least be in a job revolving around fossils and antiquities. That must be exciting.

Good luck on you getting the job. :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Best of luck PW. Although I already worked in archaeological excavations, including as a member of the archaeological staff, and as an area supervisor, my full time job at the moment is in an unrelated field, as things are a bit tight with open archaeological positions since I returned to Israel. But I still get to do some research level archaeology with my MA which keeps me updated.
If I remember correctly, you were doing a BA in biology, did you also go to graduate school?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know about that job.
"Preparator" - Is that even a word?
They should give you a job with a real title using real words.....like "Director", "General Manager", or "Grand Poobah".
Best wishes on the job though!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Best of luck PW. Although I already worked in archaeological excavations, including as a member of the archaeological staff, and as an area supervisor, my full time job at the moment is in an unrelated field, as things are a bit tight with open archaeological positions since I returned to Israel. But I still get to do some research level archaeology with my MA which keeps me updated.
I'm glad you are still able to be active in the field and I hope that a more full time position opens up soon. :D

If I remember correctly, you were doing a BA in biology, did you also go to graduate school?
No, not yet. My spouse and I were "degree swapping" and she just finished her Masters. So now when we can afford it, I can go back.
Right now bills are tight and we have had no luck finding jobs in our state, so it's time to look elsewhere. But I'll still be taking my GRE's as soon as possible and getting applications out. No sense in putting all one's eggs in a single basket.

With any luck I can get into a graduate program that isn't a huge commute from where we can find jobs. And a little practical experience doesn't hurt.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'm glad you are still able to be active in the field and I hope that a more full time position opens up soon. :D
Yeap at last I'm progressing academically, can't be bad. :D
No, not yet. My spouse and I were "degree swapping" and she just finished her Masters. So now when we can afford it, I can go back.
Right now bills are tight and we have had no luck finding jobs in our state, so it's time to look elsewhere. But I'll still be taking my GRE's as soon as possible and getting applications out. No sense in putting all one's eggs in a single basket.
Gotcha! what did your spouse studied??

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Yeap at last I'm progressing academically, can't be bad.
Absolutely! It must be great to get your work published, I can't wait to join the club. :D

Gotcha! what did your spouse studied??
She studied running non-profit organizations and social justice/sustainability.
She has a passion for helping communities with local resilience and poverty reduction (mostly via local small scale agriculture and energy production) as well as transgender rights. :cool:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Absolutely! It must be great to get your work published, I can't wait to join the club. :D

PW, this is amazing!! Best of luck to you!! :hugehug:

She studied running non-profit organizations and social justice/sustainability.
She has a passion for helping communities with local resilience and poverty reduction (mostly via local small scale agriculture and energy production) as well as transgender rights. :cool:

My husband and I have looked into urban farming for the benefit of the local neighborhood. While we have a productive garden for us, we're petitioning the city to allow backyard animals for production too, which would raise more food awareness and opportunity for the locals.

We live about a mile way from the projects which are situated in a food desert. We can hop in our car and head out to Whole Foods for good organics, but they can't. We're wanting more info on how to either work with the city and/or fight it.

But I don't wish to derail your thread about you...I'd like to PM you regarding more info however from you and your spouse if that's okay. :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
PW, this is amazing!! Best of luck to you!!
Thank you!

My husband and I have looked into urban farming for the benefit of the local neighborhood. While we have a productive garden for us, we're petitioning the city to allow backyard animals for production too, which would raise more food awareness and opportunity for the locals.

We live about a mile way from the projects which are situated in a food desert. We can hop in our car and head out to Whole Foods for good organics, but they can't. We're wanting more info on how to either work with the city and/or fight it.

But I don't wish to derail your thread about you...I'd like to PM you regarding more info however from you and your spouse if that's okay. :)
PM away... We are happy to share tactics and information. :D

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Just heard back.... no luck. :sad4:

I didn't have enough first hand experience to make the "best" category. But at least I made the "good" category.

If only I could get some more experience, but that would mean moving near a big city just so I could volunteer at a museum.

le sigh... the job hunt continues.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
just heard back.... No luck. :sad4:

I didn't have enough first hand experience to make the "best" category. But at least i made the "good" category.

If only i could get some more experience, but that would mean moving near a big city just so i could volunteer at a museum.

Le sigh... The job hunt continues.

Wa:do

:( :( :( :(