• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jk Rowling Controversy

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Lovecraft was a master of that, and I've found it to be a hard style to emulate because he was specific yet vague at the same time. Nightmarish creatures, new definitions and depths of madness and insanity, and acutely hitting the details of fear, anxiety, paranoia and a madness from things incomprehensible. And the fact his stories did have some inconsistencies, in my opinion it really just helps reinforce the frequent themes of humanity being weak and frail in the grand scheme of things.

That's also part of why it's so challenging to translate his work into cinema and video games. Show too little and it gets stale. Show too much and it's no longer Lovecraftian.

Parenthetically, I highly recommend these Lovecraftian horror movies/show episodes:
  • Bird Box
  • The Endless
  • Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities: Pickman's Model (episode 5)
  • In the Mouth of Madness (my favorite on this list)
  • The Mist
  • Underwater
  • The Void.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
A Complete Breakdown of the J.K. Rowling Transgender-Comments Controversy

She has also allied herself with and funded several groups in the UK that actively seek to limit and oppress trans rights, so there's that too.

Yeah, this is the biggest problem in the end. She actively supports groups that have led to certain trans rights being reduced in the UK the last couple of years. She doesn't just have an opinion, she also actively tries to enforce it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's also part of why it's so challenging to translate his work into cinema and video games. Show too little and it gets stale. Show too much and it's no longer Lovecraftian.

Parenthetically, I highly recommend these Lovecraftian horror movies/show episodes:
  • Bird Box
  • The Endless
  • Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities: Pickman's Model (episode 5)
  • In the Mouth of Madness (my favorite on this list)
  • The Mist
  • Underwater
  • The Void.
I usually don't like the movies that are directly based on Lovecraft, but one I did actually like is Dagon. It's the same sort of low-budget flick that is most Lovecraft movies, but it's not bad. It's the same thing that happened in Innsmouth, and it does gore and ritual human sacrifice better than many A-rate Hollywood flicks.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A Complete Breakdown of the J.K. Rowling Transgender-Comments Controversy

She has also allied herself with and funded several groups in the UK that actively seek to limit and oppress trans rights, so there's that too.
Rats. I linked that same article earlier. It may have been the tweets. Those interrupted my reading too much and for once I did not read the whole article that I quoted from. I find it so odd that a gay women would lack any empathy for trans people.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
She's a bioessentialist who believes that your organs make up your gender, works against institutions and law which provide ease of pronoun changes on official documents as well as with groups like LGB Alliance who wants to remove trans people from queer spaces, calls transmen 'lost sisters' and transwomen secret sex predators.

She even wrote a predatory 'crossdresser' in a book under a pen name which also happens to be the name of the Nazi who invented shock treatment for gay people.

She proudly calls herself a TERF which is 'trans exclusionary radical feminist.' Whom believe that anything relating to feminist action should not include transwomen.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Rats. I linked that same article earlier. It may have been the tweets. Those interrupted my reading too much and for once I did not read the whole article that I quoted from. I find it so odd that a gay women would lack any empathy for trans people.

There's a strong impulse in human psychology to punch further down the chain of power when you feel you've had power stripped and are looking to gain some agency back.

It's why abuse is often passed from bully to bullied, abusive parent to child who then abuses their own children, etc.

Segments of the gay community have been extremely hostile towards 'straight passing' gays or bisexuals, and segments of the trans community have been very hostile towards nonbinary and genderfluid.

As they say: **** rolls downhill.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I have no issue with J.K. Rowling at all. She appears to be a very talented woman… and whatever her views are- whenever they aren’t being blown out of proportion by people who can’t control their emotions- I see no reason to feel anything about them.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I have no issue with J.K. Rowling at all. She appears to be a very talented woman… and whatever her views are- whenever they aren’t being blown out of proportion by people who can’t control their emotions- I see no reason to feel anything about them.

I am shocked that people do care what this writer has to say.
Honestly I dislike Harry Potter ...(the only attractive thing of the saga is gorgeous Daniel Radcliffe, and that's it).

I couldn't care less what others think. Let alone a writer whose books are disliked by so many.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Evolution shows females made babies. That is how a species is carried on. Do you dispute that.
Biology disputes that.
People born with Swyer Syndrome who are actually biologically categorised as male due to their chromosomes (XY) can give birth and get pregnant with a bit of help from our good friend medical science
Evolution is funny like that
(And yes I am aware they are born female in every other aspect. I’m just saying, it’s not actually clear cut.
At least if you go by biological definitions strictly.)

Swyer syndrome: MedlinePlus Genetics

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So far, nobody has invented an alternative way to make humans.
Cisgender women are necessary to deliver them.
Uhh ever hear about fertility programs?
Like we can practically grow a human in a lab these days
(I’m using hyperbole but that’s not a far off prospect in science, I think. Seriously we can make intersex people pregnant these days. And that’s a condition that usually comes with fertility issues by default. I’m just saying.)

PureX

Veteran Member
A Trans Book Artist Is Removing J.K. Rowling’s Name From ‘Harry Potter’ Books

With the soon release of a much anticipated Harry Potter series game "Hogwarts Legacy", there has been renewed discussion, debate and threats of cancelation of anything Wizarding World, over the things JK Rowling has said in the past on trans issues.

What exactly is wrong in regards to what she said? I don't see anything transphobic in her remarks personally.
It's just the usual cultural idiocy.

I'm more insulted by the bottomless greed involved in the endless exploitation of a popular children's book. Is there no end to it? Is there no point where we can just let a good book be a good book? Or a good song be a good song? Or a good anything just be what it is without extracting every possible penny from it's popularity until everyone finally gets sick to death of it?

One decent movie has to become a whole franchise. One decent book has to become a whole franchise. One decent song has to become a new genre of music. Capitalist greed just has to exploit everything we do until it's obliterated all possible value. Meanwhile we're all wallowing in outrage over one woman's non-existent social comment.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Hardly emotion driving this, given a large proportion of the major stars in her films - obviously being younger and perhaps more attuned to new thinking - seem to disagree with her and will point this out. It's hardly in their interests to be on another side to her just from emotion.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
She write a piece that was highly transphobic. I'd go into the reasons why but I watched several hour long videos on the topic. Itd take forever to write out every argument and I just got up i dont have the energy. Give me a few minutes I'll send a video made by a YouTube it's an hour long but it breaks it down all the arguments in said piece

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Which transphobic stuff you talking about? The tweets, the essay, or the way she portrays transfolk in a few books she wrote? Or the way she actually treats transgender people in real life? Or her support for Maya Forstater and other transphobes?

Keep in mind JK Rowling doing transphobic stuff has been going on for several years. So if you mention tweets tell me which ones we talking on.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
whenever they aren’t being blown out of proportion by people who can’t control their emotions
I am so very sick of people like you boiling this - and other issues like this - down to people being "unable to control their emotions". You don't care because it doesn't affect you, but pardon the **** out of us for getting distraught at people literally dying while people you remain lizard-cold to the situation, flaccidly offering "thoughts and prayers" and doing nothing to help the situation.

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I am so very sick of people like you boiling this - and other issues like this - to people being "unable to control their emotions". You don't care because it doesn't affect you, but pardon the **** out of us for getting distraught at people literally dying while people you remain lizard-cold to the situation, flaccidly offering "thoughts and prayers" and doing nothing to help the situation.

And this is something I think Rowling misses. She brings up freedom of speech and the aggresive tactics of activists, but doesn't seem to understand that, as a popular writer whose work is highly readable and relatable, a minority group whose members are at risk for violence (of various types including self-harm) and those who support them are going to react strongly to criticism against them from her.

Rowling is a complex person like anyone else. She has suffered abuse, and has strong views about women being treated equally. Simultaneously, it feels like she is doubling down against criticism and going out of her way in the name of "freedom of speech" without accepting the consequences for her speech. She may have to live with having an unpopular view and decide whether she wants to espouse it publicly or not.

I support flexibility and freedom in gender expression, so I don't agree with some of her views, especially if her political support harms transgender folks.