• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jk Rowling Controversy

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What really is transphobic?

Is it because someone doesn't see things the same as a transgender does?

If thats it then this forum is full of..

christianophobics
atheistphobics,
democratphobics
republicanphobics,
Trumpphobics
Bidenphobics
Etc

Not all trans people see everything the same as each other either; they're people with different opinions like everyone else, including on J. K. Rowling and her views.

As for what is transphobic, that's a broad topic, but I personally find this definition precise enough:

Transphobia describes someone who has hate, fear, or disgust for transgender people or anyone who does not fit into the male/female gender binary. For example, a transphobic person may express disgust for a "tomboy" or for a masculine-appearing person wearing a dress. Another example would be someone no longer wanting to continue a friendship after finding out their friend is transgender. These are just a few interpersonal examples of transphobia that do not represent the whole scope of the issue.

There are also overarching societal examples. Transgender people face discrimination in the workplace, healthcare settings, and the housing market, among other areas of daily life.

What Is Transphobia?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I view some of Rowling's positions as transphobic or at least sympathetic to harmful misconceptions and generalizations, and I don't use social media. The above also doesn't describe how my views on her have formed.
I haven't read her stuff or watched the movies, but often times, at least in the West, the bride walks down the isle to the Bridal March, a song that was composed by a proto-Nazi (Wagner), the same who composed Flight of the Valkyrie.
A lot of times the art just doesn't match the artist and the artist doesn't match the art. John Lennon is a great example, as he was a woman beater, he was antagonistic towards the handicapped, he was a terrible father, yet he wrote some of the best songs there are about peace, love and humanity existing as one.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Not all women are able to get pregnant though, and women are more than a biological function, just as men are more than their biological functions.
And she did attach fertility to specifically women.

Yeah I know I edited that out to clarify my statement. As it didn't reflect what I was trying to say.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't read her stuff or watched the movies, but often times, at least in the West, the bride walks down the isle to the Bridal March, a song that was composed by a proto-Nazi (Wagner), the same who composed Flight of the Valkyrie.
A lot of times the art just doesn't match the artist and the artist doesn't match the art. John Lennon is a great example, as he was a woman beater, he was antagonistic towards the handicapped, he was a terrible father, yet he wrote some of the best songs there are about peace, love and humanity existing as one.

Yeah, I don't believe in idealizing anyone even if I love something they have created. I absolutely relish Lovecraftian horror, but I know the man himself was blatantly a white supremacist. When I say "I love Lovecraft," I'm exclusively talking about the horror author who created Cthulhu and Shub-Niggurath, not the white supremacist.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
"hate, fear, or disgust"

What about dislike or disagreement?

If the dislike is based on their being transgender, then it seems to me that it qualifies. I would classify "dislike" as a milder point on the spectrum of "hatred."

Disagreement is a different story, though, since it is—or at least should be—based on assessment of ideas rather than something like gender identity, skin color, etc.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I didn't read that in it at all. But biological sex and Gender are different things.

Edited

Surely. But they are relevant.
For instance, I guess the author wanted to underline that certain lesbians are into vagina havers.
That's not discriminatory. If certain lesbians are into vagina havers only...it's normal.
As gay men are into penis havers only.

Genital organs are relevant.
Bisexuals have more shaded preferences so they aren't that relevant to them.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Everyone who counts as a proper human does.:p

I just find weird function in general to be deeply fascinating. The amount of creativity it requires is astounding, and so is the impact of its subtle, eerie descriptions that put the reader or viewer in the driver's seat and make them use their imagination instead of throwing overdone descriptions in their face and leaving no room for imagination.

Last edited: