• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jk Rowling Controversy

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
A Trans Book Artist Is Removing J.K. Rowling’s Name From ‘Harry Potter’ Books

With the soon release of a much anticipated Harry Potter series game "Hogwarts Legacy", there has been renewed discussion, debate and threats of cancelation of anything Wizarding World, over the things JK Rowling has said in the past on trans issues.

What exactly is wrong in regards to what she said? I don't see anything transphobic in her remarks personally.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

With the soon release of a much anticipated Harry Potter series game "Hogwarts Legacy", there has been renewed discussion, debate and threats of cancelation of anything Wizarding World, over the things JK Rowling has said in the past on trans issues.

What exactly is wrong in regards to what she said? I don't see anything transphobic in her remarks personally.
I didn't either.

I wonder what is driving it

From what I've seen (although I've not followed it all that much so could be wrong):

Some radical ideologues branded her transphobic for not agreeing their opinions are the only legitimate one and noting that certain issues are not black/white good/evil but involve competing rights.

Social media then branded her transphobic because humans are status seeking creatures and doing such things is the best way for many people to earn social credit. Others jumped on the bandwagon to avoid being painted as transphobic. Now "everyone knows" she is transphobic because everyone says it, so it must be true and questioning it is transphobic. One has to accept it on faith, or at least pretend to otherwise you will be branded a heretic.

As in the OP, people increasingly signal their commitment to the dogma by doing things like removing her name from books, and others try to one up them to show they are more pious. The mob calls for violence and death against the heretic and works itself into a frenzy of hatred. The cycle continues.

Today we are "lucky" that we get fast forwarded views of how myths develop, how religious schisms occurred, how perceived 'heresies' became moral panics and led to persecutions, etc.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From what I've seen (although I've not followed it all that much so could be wrong):

Some radical ideologues branded her transphobic for not agreeing their opinions are the only legitimate one and noting that certain issues are not black/white good/evil but involve competing rights.

Social media then branded her transphobic because doing such things earns people social credit. Others jumped on the bandwagon to avoid being painted as transphobic. Now "everyone knows" she is transphobic because everyone says it, so it must be true and questioning it is transphobic. One has to accept it on faith, or at least pretend to otherwise you will be branded a heretic.

As in the OP, people increasingly signal their commitment to the dogma by doing things like removing her name from books, and others try to one up them to show they are more pious. The mob calls for violence and death against the heretic and works itself into a frenzy of hatred. The cycle continues.

Today we are "lucky" that we get fast forwarded views of how myths develop, how religious schisms occurred, how perceived 'heresies' became moral panics and led to persecutions, etc.
So she just didn't agree with their views then?

She dosent have to.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Social media then branded her transphobic because doing such things earns people social credit. Others jumped on the bandwagon to avoid being painted as transphobic. Now "everyone knows" she is transphobic because everyone says it, so it must be true and questioning it is transphobic. One has to accept it on faith, or at least pretend to otherwise you will be branded a heretic.

I view some of Rowling's positions as transphobic or at least sympathetic to harmful misconceptions and generalizations, and I don't use social media. The above also doesn't describe how my views on her have formed.

We Never Know

No Slack

IMO, its a about "woke"

I view some of Rowling's positions as transphobic or at least sympathetic to harmful misconceptions and generalizations, and I don't use social media. The above also doesn't describe how my views on her have formed.

You are also significantly more thoughtful and intelligent than the average social media.

Although, as we discussed in another thread, I think you are still being a bit harsh based on what she said.

We Never Know

No Slack

What really is transphobic?

Is it because someone doesn't see things the same as a transgender does?

If thats it then this forum is full of..

christianophobics
atheistphobics,
democratphobics
republicanphobics,
Trumpphobics
Bidenphobics
Etc

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Social media then branded her transphobic because humans are status seeking creatures and doing such things is the best way for many people to earn social credit. Others jumped on the bandwagon to avoid being painted as transphobic. Now "everyone knows" she is transphobic because everyone says it, so it must be true and questioning it is transphobic. One has to accept it on faith, or at least pretend to otherwise you will be branded a heretic.

Because of political correctness.
Because people in the US and UK are forced to repress their own opinions because they can hurt someone's feelings.
Outspokenness is the number one rule in my country: if journalists were not irreverent and blunt, nobody would buy newspapers and magazines, I guess.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Because of political correctness.
Because people in the US and UK are forced to repress their own opinions because they can hurt someone's feelings.
Outspokenness is the number one rule in my country: if journalists were not irreverent and blunt, nobody would buy newspapers and magazines, I guess.
Actually, years before this South Park called out the same argument, just a different setup with a husband taking offense over Mr. Garrison making a broad statement that said his medically infertile/not menstruating wife isn't a women. And South Park is not "politically correct."

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Actually, years before this South Park called out the same argument, just a different setup with a husband taking offense over Mr. Garrison making a broad statement that said his medically infertile/not menstruating wife isn't a women. And South Park is not "politically correct."

I think that all that matters is that the Government respect trans people.
A writer's opinion is irrelevant.
Don't you agree?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It appears to be all about one Tweet and the rection to it, not just from the trans community but from supporters of it too. She did not like an editorial piece that instead of using the word "women" used the phrase "people who menstruate:.

Her tweet was:

‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud? Opinion: Creating a more equal post-COVID-19 world for people who menstruate

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Evolution shows females made babies. That is how a species is carried on. Do you dispute that.
No, what I despute is that being what defines a woman. She's more than just a biological function. And, for whatever reason, lots of women can't but they are still women.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You are also significantly more thoughtful and intelligent than the average social media.

Although, as we discussed in another thread, I think you are still being a bit harsh based on what she said.

I'm always open to changing my position in light of new arguments and evidence, but I haven't seen a convincing reason not to be highly skeptical of Rowling's positions and see some of them as deeply harmful so far.

I'm also open to the idea that I and everyone else might be too harsh at times, of course. I don't think we could ever fully overcome the flaws of human nature and psychology, even when some of us think they have. :D

We Never Know

No Slack
I think that all that matters is that the Government respect trans people.
A writer's opinion is irrelevant.
Don't you agree?

Respect vs accept are diffenent things.
I can accept a man feeling as /being female.
I can't respect a man being a female competing against natural females in sports.