• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jews: What do you think of when you pray?

agorman

Premium Member
I know you aren't allowed to put idols on an altar; only maybe symbols as the menorah. But not because you worship the menorah of course.

Lately I've noticed that after I try other paths; some Christianity, some Paganism, Buddhism, it doesn't matter, I always end up with the Tao; which I believe it's the Source, the highest "God", etc. (I don't believe the Tao is only impersonal), but when I fall in a trance, sometimes I see archangels (!). And I feel they want to help. So I'm considering as a path to relate in a simple way with God and His archangels somehow.

While I meditate or pray, I try to visualize the Yin-Yang, but what do you Jews imagine or think about when you pray if you aren't allowed to use images? What do you use as a focus for your prayers and meditations?

I thought of using the Star of David as a symbol of God (it's sort of like the Ying-Yang when you think about it; with one triangle pointing up and another down, etc.), but I can't sleep with that symbol on my altar. Let's say I still don't understand how it makes me feel. It's like I'm messing with something my mind is not ready for. The famous Eye in the Triangle made me feel something like that too. Yeah, I'm sensitive. :D

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I know you aren't allowed to put idols on an altar; only maybe symbols as the menorah. But not because you worship the menorah of course.

Lately I've noticed that after I try other paths; some Christianity, some Paganism, Buddhism, it doesn't matter, I always end up with the Tao; which I believe it's the Source, the highest "God", etc. (I don't believe the Tao is only impersonal), but when I fall in a trance, sometimes I see archangels (!). And I feel they want to help. So I'm considering as a path to relate in a simple way with God and His archangels somehow.

While I meditate or pray, I try to visualize the Yin-Yang, but what do you Jews imagine or think about when you pray if you aren't allowed to use images? What do you use as a focus for your prayers and meditations?

I thought of using the Star of David as a symbol of God (it's sort of like the Ying-Yang when you think about it; with one triangle pointing up and another down, etc.), but I can't sleep with that symbol on my altar. Let's say I still don't understand how it makes me feel. It's like I'm messing with something my mind is not ready for. The famous Eye in the Triangle made me feel something like that too. Yeah, I'm sensitive. :D
Quite frankly, I don't imagine anything. Nothing comes to mind. When I think of God, I don't see anything in my mind's eye.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I usually try to focus on what I'm saying.

However, a couple of years ago I heard a beautiful anecdote from Rabbi Jonathan Sacks of blessed memory, where he said that a reporter once interviewed a woman about prayer. The reporter asked: What do you do when you prayer?
She answered: I listen to God.
- And what does God do?
- He listens to me.

I thought that was very profound. God and man, simply listening to one another. Of course, during prayer we must say the words of the prayer as passed down to us by our sages, but while saying the words, when I have enough concentration, I try to also focus on listening to God and on God listening to me.

rosends

Focus is difficult and there are a lot of distractions in the world but let's assume for this reply that I'm actually being successful in focusing on the prayer experience:

1. I think of the meaning of the words and the possible meaningS of the words -- what could they be pointing to or hinting at.

2. I think about how those words should, could or do affect my life

3. In certain parts of prayer I am prompted to think about my behavior, my experiences, my hopes and dreams

4. I think about the object of the prayer, God, and how the words describe his attributes and actions and how that historically has made me who I am.

5. According to some, there are things one should focus on when saying God's name

Some other info here.