• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jews For Jesus

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Do we have any Jews For Jesus members on this forum?
If so, What are your thoughts on this video?
It's a lot of blablabla, he does say some interesting things about J4Jesus.

Hi Dan, good timing. I was just reading the J4J website when you posted this.

I watched the beginning of this video, I will have to go back and watch the rest.

I have heard in some of the big cities J4J has been very successful recently, with many joining. Has anyone else heard this ? Any specific data ?

Dan - are you considering becoming a J4J ? Can a Jew become a J4J just by being interested in the history of Jesus ?

dantech

Hi Dan, good timing. I was just reading the J4J website when you posted this.

I watched the beginning of this video, I will have to go back and watch the rest.

I have heard in some of the big cities J4J has been very successful recently, with many joining. Has anyone else heard this ? Any specific data ?

Dan - are you considering becoming a J4J ? Can a Jew become a J4J just by being interested in the history of Jesus ?

Lol, don't worry about me. I'm an Orthodox Jew who is against every kind of missionary work aimed at converting people.

One number I have heard in this video, J4J spend about $100,000 per Jew they convert. I'm not sure about the accuracy of that number though.

Avi1001

One number I have heard in this video, J4J spend about $100,000 per Jew they convert. I'm not sure about the accuracy of that number though.

$100k :eek:. We're in the wrong business ;).

Zardoz isn't a J4J but he seems to have strong opinions about them. Lets see if he will comment ?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Do we have any Jews For Jesus members on this forum?
If so, What are your thoughts on this video?
It's a lot of blablabla, he does say some interesting things about J4Jesus.

Dan, I think that many of the members who identified as Messianic have stopped posting much, but even when they did I can only think of a couple that struck me as the "Jews for Jesus" type.

Personally, I find the group to be utterly despicable. They are Christians who use deshonesty and subterfuge to convince Jews to leave Judaism. Proselytizing is bad enough, but if you're going to engage in it, at least have the balls to be up front about it.

We've had few come to the synagogue and try to pull their routine; it's something that really ****** me off.

Can a Jew become a J4J just by being interested in the history of Jesus ?

Avi, Jews for Jesus is an evangelical Christian group dedicated to converting Jews to Christianity. All you have to do become one of them is to agree with them.

Their Statement of Faith:
"We believe that Jesus the Messiah was eternally pre-existent and is co-equal with God the Father; that He took on Himself the nature of man through the virgin birth so that He possesses both divine and human natures.

We believe in His sinless life and perfect obedience to the Law; in His atoning death, burial, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, high-priestly intercession and His personal return in power and glory."
Statement of Faith - Who We Are - About Jews for Jesus - Jews for Jesus

And their Mission Statement:
"We exist to make the messiahship of Jesus an unavoidable issue to our Jewish people worldwide." About Jews for Jesus - Jews for Jesus

Avi1001

Tar, they have no Shul dues ? No High Holiday tickets ? No Bar Mitzvah parties ? What kind of religion is that anyway ;) ?

Avi, Jews for Jesus is an evangelical Christian group dedicated to converting Jews to Christianity. All you have to do become one of them is to agree with them.

Their Statement of Faith:
"We believe that Jesus the Messiah was eternally pre-existent and is co-equal with God the Father; that He took on Himself the nature of man through the virgin birth so that He possesses both divine and human natures.

We believe in His sinless life and perfect obedience to the Law; in His atoning death, burial, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, high-priestly intercession and His personal return in power and glory."
Statement of Faith - Who We Are - About Jews for Jesus - Jews for Jesus

And their Mission Statement:
"We exist to make the messiahship of Jesus an unavoidable issue to our Jewish people worldwide." About Jews for Jesus - Jews for Jesus

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Tar, they have no Shul dues ? No High Holiday tickets ? No Bar Mitzvah parties ? What kind of religion is that anyway ;) ?

I'm glad you find it humorous, Avi. We all should try to find laughter where ever we can in life.

Avi1001

I'm glad you find it humorous, Avi. We all should try to find laughter where ever we can in life.

Very true, Tar. Life is a complex tapestry of, on the one hand, very serious issues and on the other, absurdity. Sometimes, I believe, we have to step back and re-examine which category each issue falls into.

dantech

Very true, Tar. Life is a complex tapestry of, on the one hand, very serious issues and on the other, absurdity. Sometimes, I believe, we have to step back and re-examine which category each issue falls into.

Avi, you converted? I see your religious title.

Please tell me if you receive a the 100k.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Avi, you converted? I see your religious title.

Please tell me if you receive a the 100k.

No, Avi's religion and title designators are like a revolving billboard. Before long, he'll go back to Jewish Atheist and then Reconstructionist and then Reform and then Left Wing Modern Orthodox and then.......

Peter

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

They may have changed their tactics, but for a very long time the goal of Jews for Jesus was for converted Jews to assimilate into evangelical churches with little connection to, or vestige of, their past except, perhaps, for their names.

Peter

InChrist

Free4ever
From what I can ascertain Larry Levey was never a part of the Jews for Jesus ministry. His claim that he was seems to be disingenuous on his part and makes the rest of his claims in the video about the organization questionable from my perspective.

"Larry Levey is the Baltimore director of Jews for Judaism. Levey actually claimed to be a believer in Jesus. In fact, a Jews for Jesus missionary had supposedly led him to the Lord. But we questioned his spiritual stability and when he wanted to come on our Summer Witnessing Campaign, his application was rejected. Poor Larry couldn't even get a recommendation from the missionary who had prayed with him to accept the Lord!
He moved on to Beth Messiah congregation in Rockville, Maryland, but Dan Juster (the spiritual leader of the congregation) also had doubts about Levey's spiritual stability. Levey recently "renounced" the faith and now works full- time as an anti-missionary in the Baltimore area. He commends himself as an expert to others who want to stop Jews from hearing about Y'shua."

Anti-Missionary Mischief - Jews for Jesus