• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jews and Muslims..friends or enemies?

Monotheist 101

Although there has been a long standing politcal conflict over the Holy land that began with the advent of Zionism in the last 100 years..The Muslims and Jews have theological commonalities as well as common historical roots.

The Jews, Christians and Muslims according to the Quran share a history of revelation and have common prophets and revealed messages. All pre-Islamic revelations have the same call to worship only God and take no partners alongside him. The Law while overlapping in areas differs in its design.
“..To each of you we prescribed a law and a method” (5:48)

The Sabbath for example, is a legal issue where Muslims and Jews differ..According to the Quran the Sabbath was only required of Prophet Moses's followers, which means that the Muslims are not legally bound to keep the Sabbath.

"The Sabbath was ordained only for those who differed about it, and most surely your Lord will judge between them on the resurrection day concerning that about which they differed." (6.124)

But the sanctity of the Sabbath for the Jews is reflected in the Quran as a group amongst the Jews who violated the Sabbath are condemned.

"..or curse them as We cursed the violaters of the Sabbath.." (4.47)
see also..(2.65),(4.154),(7.163)

There are other acts that were condemned by the Quran like creating and worshiping the Golden Calf. A historical act not tolerated by any of the Prophets.

The Quran makes it lawful for Muslims to associate with Jews and Christians..marrying them, sharing a meal or doing business with them.

Furthermore Jews, such as Maimonides contributed to Islamic civilization through philosophy and science. Saladin Ayubi appointed a high ranking officer in his government who was a Jew.

Centuries before this the Prophet Muhammad concluded a covenant with the Jewish tribes of the city of Yathrib (Medina) and its surroundings, the first being the Jewish tribe of Banu Awf, forming one umma with the Muslims. A few decades later according to the Cairo Jewish Geniza manuscripts, Omar ibn Al Khattab the second Caliph in the year 638 brought the Jews back to Jerusalem.This is highly significant as it reflects a paradigm of co-existence between the Jews, Christians and Muslims in the Holy land and Andalusia (Spain) among other places.

The 1400 years of shared history includes beautiful and painful moments for both sides. That being said it is impossible to ignore the moral necessity of ending the Israeli occupation and doing justice to the Palestinians who have been wronged since 1948. That does not however translate to adopting a Judophobic attitude or sanction the adoption of narratives like "The Protocols of Elder Zion"..Neither should it proceed to acts of injustice toward the Jews..I believe this goes against the spirit of Islam.

I am proud to say that there was never an inquisition in the Islamic world like there was in post-Islamic Spain in which both Jews and Muslims suffered, many were forced to convert, killed or forced to relocate..This saw an influx of Jews to north Africa and the middle east, which under Islamic rule still upheld the constitution of Convivencia. Neither was there a "Kristallnacht" in the Islamic world. I recognize that the Jews suffered in Europe and their need for a safe haven.

I am posting this thread in the hopes of promoting the commonalities of these two historically connected religions and am an advocate for Peace in the Middle East.. My religion teaches me to respect the People of the Book but I see alot of hatred being projected towards each other from both sides..Upon researching Judaism I find that our concept of God is very similar if not identical..we both eat Kosher/Halal meat sacrificed in the name of a monotheistic God.. If we agree upon worshiping the same God..what are our differences about? And why the Hate!? How hard can it be to move forward and peacefully co exist again?

Discuss.

Last edited:

xkatz

The 1400 years of shared history includes beautiful and painful moments for both sides. That being said it is impossible to ignore the moral necessity of ending the Israeli occupation and doing justice to the Palestinians who have been wronged since 1948. That does not however translate to adopting a Jewdophobic (spelling!!:confused:) attitude or sanction the adoption of narratives like "The Protocols of Elder Zion"..Neither should it proceed to acts of injustice toward the Jews..I believe this goes against the spirit of Islam.
Fair enough, but do you believe Israel has a right to exist?

(And it's Judeophobia I think)

I am proud to say that their was never an inquisition in the Islamic world like there was in post-Islamic Spain in which both Jews and Muslims suffered, many were forced to convert, killed or forced to relocate..This saw an influx of Jews to north Africa and the middle east, which under Islamic rule still upheld the constitution of Convivencia. Neither was their a "Kristallnacht" in the Islamic world. I recognize that the Jews suffered in Europe and their need for a safe haven.
This is false. While living under Muslim rule was usually better, there was still at times heavy persecutions. How Jews fared was largely based on whoever was in power. Some respected Jewish autonomy and others forced Jews to convert to Islam or face death. For instance, what about the mass persecution and forced exiles of Mizrahim in the late 1940s?

I am posting this thread in the hopes of promoting the commonalities of these two historically connected religions and am an advocate for Peace in the Middle East.. My religion teaches me to respect the People of the Book but I see alot of hatred being projected towards each other from both sides..Upon researching Judaism I find that our concept of God is very similar if not identical..we both eat Kosher/Halal meat sacrificed in the name of a monotheistic God.. If we agree upon worshiping the same God..what are our differences about? And why the Hate!? How hard can it be to move forward and peacefully co exist again?
People will have their differences. Some respect these differences and others, frankly, don't. And this on both sides.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe The Jews are for life and there is a great population of Jews who believe Yeshua is Messiah. The Messiah is the way, truth and life. It seems to me the believers of Islam are not for life but for death. How so? It belongs to God alone to decide if the population of Earth is ever removed. Islam teaches it is a certainty.

Monotheist 101

Fair enough, but do you believe Israel has a right to exist?

I believe the Jews have a right to live in Israel same as the Muslims..Whether they should be treated specially and given a country..that's something I dont qgree with..because of all the Palestinians who are expected to pack up and leave..That being said I think Israel today should adopt a policy of peaceful co-existence and all the People of the Book should be allowed to visit and live there.
This is false. While living under Muslim rule was usually better, there was still at times heavy persecutions. How Jews fared was largely based on whoever was in power. Some respected Jewish autonomy and others forced Jews to convert to Islam or face death. Also, what about the mass persecution and forced exiles of Mizrahim in the late 1940s?

By Islamic civilization I am generally referring to the the various muslim regimes leading upto the 1st World war..I am not a fan of divided kingdoms and if it were upto me..I would have all the Islamic countries under one banner pledging allegiance to a chosen Khalifa..IMO we are united under one God..There is no room for race or ethnicity in Islam.

Flankerl

A few decades later according to the Cairo Jewish Geniza manuscripts, Omar ibn Al Khattab the second Caliph in the year 638 brought the Jews back to Jerusalem.This is highly significant as it reflects a paradigm of co-existence between the Jews, Christians and Muslims in the Holy land and Andalusia (Spain) among other places

So what about the cultural colonialism on jewish sites?
For example the cave of the patriarchs. Guess what when it was build it wasnt a mosque. And when the mameluks took over jews werent even allowed to enter the building. It took us over 600 years to gain access to it again. And that was in 1967.

Or what about the temple mount? Its the single most holy place in the entire universe for jews. The site of our two temples.
First the babylonians burned down the first temple. The romans the second. Then a roman temple was build. Converted into a christian church. And finally the dome was build in its place.
I dont like it.
During the very early muslim rule of jerusalem there even was a synagogue on the temple mount. Now its gone. Guess why.

I am proud to say that their was never an inquisition in the Islamic world like their was in post-Islamic Spain in which both Jews and Muslims suffered, many were forced to convert, killed or forced to relocate.

Uhm but there was. Granted it was often a very local event but it existed.

Since you mentioned Rambam we already got a very good example. He and his family had to flee from muslim Iberia or else they would have been forced into conversion or killed.

Then in western northern africa they encountered the very same situation like in muslim Iberia.

They found a new home in egypt but its hypocritical to set this as the example of Islamic rule and just ignore the other side.

This saw an influx of Jews to north Africa and the middle east, which under Islamic rule still upheld the constitution of Convivencia. Neither was their a "Kristallnacht" in the Islamic world.

In 1066 the jewish vizier of Grenada was crucified by a muslim mob.
In a matter of hours further ~4000 jews were murdered.

Why? Appareantly the mob thought that "the jews" had become too wealthy and powerful.

So what are we. Friends or enemies? Nothing of the two. We are neighbours.

Flankerl

I believe The Jews are for life and there is a great population of Jews who believe Yeshua is Messiah. The Messiah is the way, truth and life. It seems to me the believers of Islam are not for life but for death. How so? It belongs to God alone to decide if the population of Earth is ever removed. Islam teaches it is a certainty.

Ugh go away christian missionary.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

Is this thread supposed to be about an approach to the OP's question through comparative analysis, or Islamophobia? All I see is the latter...

M.V.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
These are some of major signs of earths end ..the imam mahdi will rule the world for 40 years. prophet isa( Jesus) will rule for another 40 years , and finally
three soor will be blown , the time between two soor will be 40 years each. And finally earth will be destroyed and all the humans will be resurrected for the final judgment with Allah.......... How is the world going to end according to Islam al-Quran

Religions that teach the end is certain are against life imo. I have read the whole Bible and I have not come across end as truth.

Monotheist 101

If the Muslims did indeed massacre the Jews in Granada..The Quran..my source of Islam does not promote it..And I believe everyone will reap what they sow.. Saying that I am a Muslim and acting upon it are two different things.. If a group of Muslims get involved in un-Islamic acts like killing innocents, than they have not followed the teachings of Islam IMO.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
These are some of major signs of earths end ..the imam mahdi will rule the world for 40 years. prophet isa( Jesus) will rule for another 40 years , and finally
three soor will be blown , the time between two soor will be 40 years each. And finally earth will be destroyed and all the humans will be resurrected for the final judgment with Allah.......... How is the world going to end according to Islam al-Quran

Religions that teach the end is certain are against life imo. I have read the whole Bible and I have not come across end as truth.

How you can link the belief that God will destroy the earth, with Islam being about death is mind blowing.

We value life and are supposed to give our life to fight tyranny in order to brighten the world for our children and ummah. How this can be seen as a pro death religion is ridiculous.

Flankerl

मैत्रावरुणिः;3419178 said:
Namaste,

Is this thread supposed to be about an approach to the OP's question through comparative analysis, or Islamophobia? All I see is the latter...

M.V.

You do realise that the OP is muslim right?

Is he an islamic islamophobic? :confused:

You have got to be kidding. Book of revelations. Read it.
Its all about the end and jesus slaughtering unbelievers.

You know there are some problems between jews and muslims. But guess what i still prefer Islam over Christianity.

Stop derailing this thread. Its about muslims and jews..

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the Muslims did indeed massacre the Jews in Granada..The Quran..my source of Islam does not promote it..And I believe everyone will reap what they sow.. Saying that I am a Muslim and acting upon it are two different things.. If a group of Muslims get involved in un-Islamic acts like killing innocents, than they have not followed the teachings of Islam IMO.

I agree but it is a religion that teaches God will kill all those Islam says are not innocent. I know JWs teach the same thing. I believe no one must become like another person to be saved. But I believe very strongly in salvation. I do not know of any religion that teaches salvation except for true Jews. The world we see will get rid of Jews. Doing so is the same as destroying salvation imo neighbor. :eek: