• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish song gone viral

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
A friend sent me this:
The hottest musical act on TikTok is a group of Jewish tweens singing Orthodox pop songs in Hebrew

From the article:

"TikTok's latest musical craze has nothing to do with pop stars or Top 40 hits. Instead, users are obsessing over a 2007 recording of a choir of Jewish tween boys singing an Orthodox pop song in Hebrew.

The now-adult members of the Miami Boys Choir said they're still trying to wrap their heads around their new viral fame.

The 15-year-old performance of the song "Yerushalayim" (which translates to "Jerusalem of Gold") had been viewed on the platform more than 7 million times."
Probably most surprising is that many non-Jewish users were impressed with the clip, which is what made it go viral.

My friend and I also mused about the many non-religious Israelis who commented that they couldn't understand the Hebrew in the clip. To clarify, just about every Orthodox person that I know, both in Israel and elsewhere is familiar with Jewish children's choirs such as the Miami Boys Choir, London Boys Choir, Yeshiva Boys Choir and more, and while most Modern Orthodox people don't really understand the Yiddish featured in some of the songs, we certainly understand the Hebrew, even though it's accented.

Here's the full song on YouTube:

and the words:

English Transliteration: "Yerushalayim, hah-rim sah-viv luh, Va'Hashem suh-viv le'amoy, May'atuh vi'ad oylum."

Hebrew lyrics: ירושלים, הרים סביב לה, וה' סביב לעמו מעתה ועד עולם." (תהלים קכ"ה)"

English translation: "Jerusalem, mountains surround her, and God surrounds His nation from now and forever." (Psalms 125)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A friend sent me this:
The hottest musical act on TikTok is a group of Jewish tweens singing Orthodox pop songs in Hebrew

From the article:

"TikTok's latest musical craze has nothing to do with pop stars or Top 40 hits. Instead, users are obsessing over a 2007 recording of a choir of Jewish tween boys singing an Orthodox pop song in Hebrew.

The now-adult members of the Miami Boys Choir said they're still trying to wrap their heads around their new viral fame.

The 15-year-old performance of the song "Yerushalayim" (which translates to "Jerusalem of Gold") had been viewed on the platform more than 7 million times."
Probably most surprising is that many non-Jewish users were impressed with the clip, which is what made it go viral.

My friend and I also mused about the many non-religious Israelis who commented that they couldn't understand the Hebrew in the clip. To clarify, just about every Orthodox person that I know, both in Israel and elsewhere is familiar with Jewish children's choirs such as the Miami Boys Choir, London Boys Choir, Yeshiva Boys Choir and more, and while most Modern Orthodox people don't really understand the Yiddish featured in some of the songs, we certainly understand the Hebrew, even though it's accented.

and the words:

English Transliteration: "Yerushalayim, hah-rim sah-viv luh, Va'Hashem suh-viv le'amoy, May'atuh vi'ad oylum."

Hebrew lyrics: ירושלים, הרים סביב לה, וה' סביב לעמו מעתה ועד עולם." (תהלים קכ"ה)"

English translation: "Jerusalem, mountains surround her, and God surrounds His nation from now and forever." (Psalms 125)
I truly like this :)

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
There are more on youtube?
Oh yes. Follow the YouTube video to their channel, named after the founder of the choir, Yerachmiel Begun, where there are more songs.

One of my personal favorites is this song by the alumni choir from a few years ago:

to the words from Psalms 133:1 "How good and how pleasant it is that brothers dwell together."

Heyo

Veteran Member
A friend sent me this:

From the article:

and the words:

Horrible. Sorry, but just not my kind of music, for me there is no difference to K-pop.
This is music with talent, heart and cultural relevance:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Oh yes. Follow the YouTube video to their channel, named after the founder of the choir, Yerachmiel Begun, where there are more songs.

One of my personal favorites is this song by the alumni choir from a few years ago:

to the words from Psalms 133:1 "How good and how pleasant it is that brothers dwell together."
I did and found a lot of nice music :)

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Horrible.
It's fine, it's not my favorite song either. I don't think it's horrible, I just think there are better ones out there.

Sorry, but just not my kind of music, for me there is no difference to K-pop.
Someone actually commented "K-pop (Kosher pop)"...
Yes, it's Jewish pop music.
This is music with talent, heart and cultural relevance:
Klezmer is nice, but hey, I'm a person who has different musical moods. Sometimes I go for classic, and sometimes I go for klezmer, and sometimes Jewish pop, or old Israeli songs about the Land of Israel, or Celtic music, etc. I think people of different musical genres are talented, have heart and they all have cultural relevance to whatever culture they're representing (in terms of their music). Not saying that everyone is like that, but such people can be found in various genres.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That the song is such a hit is surprising to me. But to a lot of people, the musicality is sufficient without knowing the words.