• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish Perspective on Jesus Christ?

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
I read the rules of the DIR forums before posting here (because I've had other members comment about my posting here before). It does not prohibit people who are not of a particular race from posting in a particular forum.

That being said, the Judaism forum refers to the religious aspect of Judaism (which I am an active part of). It is not a forum that is limited to those who are of the Jewish race (which is separate from the Jewish religion). I believe in Orthodox Judaism as far as I understand what Orthodox Judaism is.

In addition to that, the DIR forums do not prohibit a person from another religion posting in a particular forum so long as they are not inciting debate or attacking that religion. If the poster (of another religion) is posting in a DIR forum, they simply have to be asking a question about that religion.

I am an active giving member of Orthodox Judaism and though I am not a Jew by race, I do fully believe in the religion of the Jewish people.

As such, I have not violated this forum's rules by posting here.

Noahides are not allowed to post in the Judaism DIR. Messianics and atheist Israelis yes. Us, no. While it may seem unfair we have to abide by the rules.

idea

Question Everything
of Eloha (אלוה)

Names ending in "a" are feminine in many languages... how about in Hebrew?

El is a named used for Heavenly Father...
can anyone tell me anything more about why "oha" would be added to El?

idea

Question Everything
Really? That's pretty cool that someone could trace his genealogy back that far.

You know the poem "Old King Cole was a merry old soul?"
There is a debate about which King Cole inspired this little ryme. Personally I think it was my great great .... great grandfather (there is a bit of familiy resemblance to this day for a few... my Kingly lineage ends with "King Edward the unprepared" perhaps he was a little too merry? LOL!) Once you hit a famous line, you can go way way back.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Noahides are not allowed to post in the Judaism DIR. Messianics and atheist Israelis yes. Us, no. While it may seem unfair we have to abide by the rules.

Hmm...I haven't seen anything posted concerning that...After all, it's not a Jewish forum in the sense of the Jewish race, but in the sense of the Jewish religion, which Noahides are a part of. I suppose I'll keep looking...

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
Hmm...I haven't seen anything posted concerning that...After all, it's not a Jewish forum in the sense of the Jewish race, but in the sense of the Jewish religion, which Noahides are a part of. I suppose I'll keep looking...

I have been reprimanded numerous times by the mods for responding in the Judaism DIR. Even then the disrespect shown by some here makes it a waste of time.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Judaism:I always feel he is greatest living exponent of Kabala.Several other Rabbi also are as good as him.Wonder the present Christianity has any great relevance to early Christianity.
For me Christianity and Judaism are one and the same.They are worded differently though.But even without Jesus , one can follow Christianity(as Christ says that Pharisees are not against him) and obviously Judaism does not need him.

Hindu or Buddhist view of Jesus:Enlightened sage with mystic powers.The very essence of Buddha hood or Non-duality(Advaitha).All of his miracles have been performed by saints during every century and there is mystic way of doing them.

Is he a son of God:he said no one is separable from God,but not many are aware of it.He was "aware" of his non-separation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levite

Higher and Higher
I would not presume to say what the general view on Jesus in Judaism is, if there even is such a thing. I think it is fair to say we all agree he was not the messiah, and was not the son of God-- at least no more than any human being is a son or daughter of God. Beyond that, I'm not sure I would say there is any one general opinion.

I can certainly say that this particular Jew thinks that Jesus was almost certainly a renegade from a Rabbinic academy-- quite possibly that of Yehoshua ben Perakhyah; that he almost certainly spent time with the Isim (Essenes) or another ascetic sect in the wilderness (there was no shortage of them, at that time); that he was probably practiced in the kinds of magic being used by Jews in Israel at that time; that he used his reputation as a wonder-worker (there were quite a number of wonder-workers running around the country in those days) to attempt a reform of Jewish practice and spirituality, consisting of what appears to be an asceticized, possibly apocalyptic, adaptation of early Rabbinic Judaism; and that he probably claimed to be the messiah (in those days you couldn't walk a block in Jerusalem without tripping over a mess of guys who claimed to be the messiah), for which his political opponents-- probably not the Perushim (Pharisees) but rather the Tzedukim (Saducees), who disliked threats to Temple power-- tossed him over to the Romans to kill.

In short, he sounds like a pretty good guy; no worse than most, and better than many running around in those days. If he'd stayed at the academy and tried changing the system from within, there would be no Christianity, and we'd be reading the opinions of Rabbi Yeshua ben Yosef in the Talmud.

David69

Angel Of The North
In case you're not paying attention, this thread is not in a debate forum. I'm looking for answers from Jewish RFers, please.

As a Christian, I know who I believe Jesus Christ to be. I also know that Muslims consider Him to be a great prophet and teacher but not the Son of God. They don't believe He ever claimed to be divine or that He was resurrected from the dead. What do Jews think about the man, Jesus? I know they don't see Him in the same way Christians do, as the Son of God, the Messiah, the Redeemer of the world, etc. and I suspect they don't see Him as the Muslims do either. I'm almost guessing that they believe that He never really existed or (more likely) that they hold a very negative view of Him, considering Him to be a blasphemer and a fraud. Am I right, or do they think of Him more like the Muslims do?

If Jesus bared fruit and this fruit turned out to be the Jewish messiah and he prooved that he was desended from Jesus then how would the jews and all other religions see jesus? Would they not realise that Jesus forfilled those prophecys through his angel that he sent forth. "I send forth my angel, I am the root and offspring of David, we are one" How can no one see what he meant! I wouldnt mind your opinion
Katzper. Thank you.
David69.

Last edited:

BrownEyez

Most Jews are talking about the Christian version of Jesus.I think he did exist but not as God or child of God

i mean his mother was Maryam Bint Imran an actual person
and her Brother in-law was said to be Zakariya
Zakariya was the father of Yahya Ibn Zakariyya aka John the Baptist

and it is said in her lineage she is a descendant of King David
I'm assuming that why Christians say Jesus son of Maryam is Messiah

Last edited:

Yona

Frum Mastah Flex
I think he was a heretic whose movement has lead to nothing but a tremendous amount of historical suffering, persecution and death of his own people since his death.

Last edited:

xkatz

I think he was a heretic whose movement has lead to nothing but a tremendous amount of historical suffering, persecution and death of his own people since his death.

I think that better suits Paul than Jesus IMO.

Wessexman

But surely if one reads say the Cappadocian fathers or Meister Eckhart a spiritual person can only be struck by their deep spirituality and love of God. Whatever else Christianity has been it has certainly granted a deep and effective spiritual path to millions upon millions of mankind.

That is not of course to claim for it anything special that Judaism lacks, Judaism has of course its spiritual teachers fully the equal of those named above. Indeed Qabbalah is a specific mystical path that Western Christianity has never equaled, it has had mystics but they have usually been individuals and not left specific paths to follow them. I don't think Christianity was meant to replace Judaism for most Jews and should not but it had its own mission which it has done well enough, particularly the Eastern church, within the restrains of human nature.

So I think it is a little harsh to describe Christians that way or at least the phrase "nothing but" is rather harsh. Christians have done great wrongs to Jews throughout history though, to our ongoing shame.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
But surely if one reads say the Cappadocian fathers or Meister Eckhart a spiritual person can only be struck by their deep spirituality and love of God. Whatever else Christianity has been it has certainly granted a deep and effective spiritual path to millions upon millions of mankind.

That is not of course to claim for it anything special that Judaism lacks, Judaism has of course its spiritual teachers fully the equal of those named above. Indeed Qabbalah is a specific mystical path that Western Christianity has never equaled, it has had mystics but they have usually been individuals and not left specific paths to follow them. I don't think Christianity was meant to replace Judaism for most Jews and should not but it had its own mission which it has done well enough, particularly the Eastern church, within the restrains of human nature.

So I think it is a little harsh to describe Christians that way or at least the phrase "nothing but" is rather harsh. Christians have done great wrongs to Jews throughout history though, to our ongoing shame.
Believe me, when you're the ones being slaughtered, it's hard to take notice of the effectiveness of the spiritual path of the people killing you.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Is he currently being slaughtered?
Within living history... yes.

How? ... Replacement Theology. Once you decide a people are damned, it's a short step to deciding they don't really matter as they aren't 'saved' and are doomed and damned anyways. Now they're dehumanized, and... well, we know what can happen then.

Have all Christians subscribed to this mindset? Of course not. But... enough have to set the stage.

Remember, most Jews know as little about Yeshua as the average Christian knows about Buddha! So if many Jews paint the whole of Christianity with a wide brush... well, that's just human nature.

Again I point out that we have a Messianic Judaism DIR where the issue may be discussed. After Shabbat at least.

Wessexman

To be fair I don't think that it is the general Christian mindset that those who are "unsaved" do not matter. Indeed the parable of the lost sheep would tend to suggest otherwise.