• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish Perspective on Jesus Christ?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In case you're not paying attention, this thread is not in a debate forum. I'm looking for answers from Jewish RFers, please.

As a Christian, I know who I believe Jesus Christ to be. I also know that Muslims consider Him to be a great prophet and teacher but not the Son of God. They don't believe He ever claimed to be divine or that He was resurrected from the dead. What do Jews think about the man, Jesus? I know they don't see Him in the same way Christians do, as the Son of God, the Messiah, the Redeemer of the world, etc. and I suspect they don't see Him as the Muslims do either. I'm almost guessing that they believe that He never really existed or (more likely) that they hold a very negative view of Him, considering Him to be a blasphemer and a fraud. Am I right, or do they think of Him more like the Muslims do?

Feldurmac

I know I don't fit the bill since I'm not Jewish but from my own studies I can tell you that a particular Jewish person's view on Jesus the person can vary from never existing to false prophet to a real prophet of God whose followers (later becoming Christians) misunderstood his true message.

Basically the reason they DONT believe that Jesus was messiah is that according to their interpretation he did not fulfill the procephies nor the qualifications neccesary according to the Old Testament. For example, the messiah's father was supposed to be of the bloodline of David.. yet according to the New Testament Jesus had no earthly father.. yes his stepfather was of that line.. but it was not his bloodline. That is just one of the examples.

Rakhel

I know I don't fit the bill since I'm not Jewish but from my own studies I can tell you that a particular Jewish person's view on Jesus the person can vary from never existing to false prophet to a real prophet of God whose followers (later becoming Christians) misunderstood his true message.

Basically the reason they DONT believe that Jesus was messiah is that according to their interpretation he did not fulfill the procephies nor the qualifications neccesary according to the Old Testament. For example, the messiah's father was supposed to be of the bloodline of David.. yet according to the New Testament Jesus had no earthly father.. yes his stepfather was of that line.. but it was not his bloodline. That is just one of the examples.
I know you were expecting more but this pretty much sums it up.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I know you were expecting more but this pretty much sums it up.
No, I really wasn't expecting more. Or less. I really didn't know what to expect. (Actually, what I do expect is that somewhere down the line, this is going to turn into a debate on Jesus' lineage and/or how the Jews have misinterpreted prophesy, etc.) Thank you both for your replies. It does sound like there is quite a wide range of thought on the subject, even though it can be summarized in just a few words.

Rakhel

It most likely will because his lineage does come into play as do the prophesies he may or may not have fulfilled. I really have no opinion as to his existence. This person may have existed. He may not have. Who knows? He may have been one of many Rabbis who dictated what his followers were to do. He may have been a rebel who was trying to change things.

If he did exist, I can honestly say that I don't believe he was a prophet, nor do I believe he was G-d. If he did exist, he could not have been anything more than a mere man.

Poisonshady313

In case you're not paying attention, this thread is not in a debate forum. I'm looking for answers from Jewish RFers, please.

As a Christian, I know who I believe Jesus Christ to be. I also know that Muslims consider Him to be a great prophet and teacher but not the Son of God. They don't believe He ever claimed to be divine or that He was resurrected from the dead. What do Jews think about the man, Jesus? I know they don't see Him in the same way Christians do, as the Son of God, the Messiah, the Redeemer of the world, etc. and I suspect they don't see Him as the Muslims do either. I'm almost guessing that they believe that He never really existed or (more likely) that they hold a very negative view of Him, considering Him to be a blasphemer and a fraud. Am I right, or do they think of Him more like the Muslims do?

"I'm almost guessing that they believe that He never really existed or (more likely) that they hold a very negative view of Him, considering Him to be a blasphemer and a fraud."

Either way.

Most Jews never bother reading anything about him, because he is irrelevant to Judaism. Some Jews who have been confronted by Christian missionaries have taken it upon themselves to do some research so as to have a real answer to the question "Why don't Jews believe in Jesus?".... and the majority of Jews I know who have read through Christian scriptures have indeed come out of it with a negative view of the man.... a negativity that increases each time they go back and read some more.

And the reasons include, but are not limited to:
- he comes across as a false prophet
- he has nothing but scorn and contempt for the righteous and learned Torah scholars of his day,
- his teachings are in many instances contrary to Torah,
- he often encouraging others to go astray from/forsake/violate the laws of the Torah
- He demands for himself the sort of faith and loyalty that belongs only to God.

Most Jews simply don't care about Jesus. Many of those who have read up on him though are drawn to the conclusion that in addition to being a mere man, he was the opposite of what Christians regard him as. Several of his actions are dispicable and inexcusable.

At best, he was a poorly educated and misled fellow whose antics caught up with him. It only gets worse from there.

I've heard some Jews refer to him as a rabbi. I truly think they were either simply being polite, or they don't know any better.

Poisonshady313

I just want to clarify... I'm not trying to stir up controversy or trouble... I'm not trying to get anyone mad at me... or at Jews in general... I'm just giving my honest view of the matter.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I just want to clarify... I'm not trying to stir up controversy or trouble... I'm not trying to get anyone mad at me... or at Jews in general... I'm just giving my honest view of the matter.
I started this in the Jewish DIR forum specifically so that it didn't turn into a controversy, so you don't have anything to worry about there. So, in general, would you say that the Muslim view of Jesus is more favorable than the Jewish view of Jesus?

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
I started this in the Jewish DIR forum specifically so that it didn't turn into a controversy, so you don't have anything to worry about there. So, in general, would you say that the Muslim view of Jesus is more favorable than the Jewish view of Jesus?
That would be a "yes".

kender

not as lost as before
It's good that this comes up, I am kind of looking for the same answers but probably for a different reason. I have been doing some research into Judaism and comparing it to my own beliefs so that I may find my answers. I say this so you know that I am far from a knowledgeable source but I can still offer an opinion.

Judaism has many faiths, from the ultra conservative to very liberal, and each has it's own views. From what I can gather though Judaism is a thinking persons religion. I don't say this in the sense that other religions don't have smart people ( I still consider myself christian-ish) but rather in the sense that you should think about reality and compare it to the texts of history written by imperfect man told from stories by other less than perfect men who heard it from the grapevine. Could jesus have turned water into wine? Sure, it's possible. People skydive and bounce but get up and walk away so it is possible........however is it not more possible that he took a barrel of wine and diluted it with water so as to turn the water into wine? Could he have been resurected? Sure, it is possible, or maybe he slipped into a death like coma and after 3 days of high fever in a tomb he woke up. Which sounds more feasable.

Given these types of thought processes I would say that the more conservative jewish faiths would look down on him for taking credit for alot of things that were simple science in a day that owning a zippo lighter would give you worshipers. The more liberal jews would probably say that they believed a man named jesus did exist and he may have been the son of god, but no more than you or I are the sone of god......however no matter what "miracles" he was able to preform he should not be worshiped like a god. At most respected like a prophet but not prayed to as a god.

tufmek

the main idea of what Judaism is goes totally against what Jesus represents.
the idea is that it is one G-D. the first 2 of the 10 commandments tell you that
1. You shall have no other gods before me.

2. You shall not make for yourselves an idol.

so this should be enough without going in to detail why Jews didn't recognize Jesus. but yes he did exist as there are very few stories of him in the Talmud, if anybody interested i can try to bring them up.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I consider early Christianity and the persona named Jesus to be part of Jewish history. after the destruction of the Temple at 70 AD, there were two forms of Judaism: Rabbinical Judaism, and Christianity.
As a secular man, my approach may lack theological zeal (so to speak), what I mean by this, is that in great deal what im interested in is the humanity of Jesus, rather than having to define him as a 'prophet', 'son of God', 'part of the God-head' etc.
reading through the pages of the gospels many times, I found myself at ease and very intrigued with many of the passages, the NT was a fascinating study for me years ago, to the point that I was not satisfied with the canon and found myself starting to explore the Gnostic gospels, and looking into a much wider study of Jesus and early Christianity and its background.
This led me to see, that Jesus may be many things to many people. however a real fascinatng study, should be of Jesus, the man of Galilee who traveled from his lush and green native area to the Judean desert, and to vibrating Jerusalem.

Harmonious

"I'm almost guessing that they believe that He never really existed or (more likely) that they hold a very negative view of Him, considering Him to be a blasphemer and a fraud."

Either way.

Most Jews never bother reading anything about him, because he is irrelevant to Judaism. Some Jews who have been confronted by Christian missionaries have taken it upon themselves to do some research so as to have a real answer to the question "Why don't Jews believe in Jesus?".... and the majority of Jews I know who have read through Christian scriptures have indeed come out of it with a negative view of the man.... a negativity that increases each time they go back and read some more.

And the reasons include, but are not limited to:
- he comes across as a false prophet
- he has nothing but scorn and contempt for the righteous and learned Torah scholars of his day,
- his teachings are in many instances contrary to Torah,
- he often encouraging others to go astray from/forsake/violate the laws of the Torah
- He demands for himself the sort of faith and loyalty that belongs only to God.

Most Jews simply don't care about Jesus. Many of those who have read up on him though are drawn to the conclusion that in addition to being a mere man, he was the opposite of what Christians regard him as. Several of his actions are dispicable and inexcusable.

At best, he was a poorly educated and misled fellow whose antics caught up with him. It only gets worse from there.

I've heard some Jews refer to him as a rabbi. I truly think they were either simply being polite, or they don't know any better.
:yes:

That's how I understand it.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I consider early Christianity and the persona named Jesus to be part of Jewish history. after the destruction of the Temple at 70 AD, there were two forms of Judaism: Rabbinical Judaism, and Christianity.
I would also like to add, that me and many other Israeli Jews are at odds with the modern Rabbinate, and so Jesus and early Christianity as a movement within Judaism is a very intriguing topic, as a study into an alternative movement among Jews in the land of Israel during the first centuries.

for a while, I was so fascinated by Jesus and early Christianity that I spent quite a lot of time with messianic Jews, naturally we had different views about who or what exactly Jesus was, but it was very beneficial in the sense of getting to know the scriptures, and understanding the theology around Jesus.
Jesus, the new testament, and Christianity can be highly interesting topics for many Israelis, or Jews, and the many different people who look into it or study it, may hold a variety of different opinions and ideas.
as I'm sensing that you are asking this question as a Christian, my advice is to let go of what spiritual or religious ideas or beliefs Jews may hold about Jesus, because Jewish culture cannot be measured by orthodox standards.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I think the mainstream Jewish views of Jesus are:
-not sure there ever was any such person
-if so, certainly not the Son of God, because God is one and doesn't have offspring gods.
-at most, a false Messiah.
-please stop killing us for not believing in Him. Thank you.

At least, that's pretty much the view when I was growing up. I think the prevailing Jewish attitude is silence, because the subject has nothing to do with Judaism.

Poisonshady313

I think the mainstream Jewish views of Jesus are:
-not sure there ever was any such person
-if so, certainly not the Son of God, because God is one and doesn't have offspring gods.
-at most, a false Messiah.
-please stop killing us for not believing in Him. Thank you.

At least, that's pretty much the view when I was growing up. I think the prevailing Jewish attitude is silence, because the subject has nothing to do with Judaism.
That sums it up quite nicely

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would also like to add, that me and many other Israeli Jews are at odds with the modern Rabbinate, ...
I'd be interested in your definition of "the modern Rabbinate." I've heard Jesus referenced on numerous occasions, including High Holy Day services, and never in a disparaging way.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'd be interested in your definition of "the modern Rabbinate." I've heard Jesus referenced on numerous occasions, including High Holy Day services, and never in a disparaging way.
I hope I don't disappoint you Jay, but I have mentioned this in the context of Jesus by personal opinion.
a prime example of being at odds with the Rabbinate. for my friends, for example, would be in the institution of marriage. as the fully recognized marriage are determined by religious standards, now obviously for some of my friends who have married Austrian, Russian or Chinese women, it poses an issue which is overcomed through a demanding process by the standards of the Halacha. many secular Israelis are calling for a civil marriage inside Israel, as it is now, many Israeli couples travel abroad for a civil marriage.
now to touch early Christianity or rather Jesus in this context, its simply that today the 'official Judaism' at large is Rabbinical Judaism, on the other hand in first century Israel, there were several alternatives, Judaism was not monolithic (not that Jewish culture is hardly today), there were different recognized streams, and in this historical context, Jesus and the early [Jewish] Christians posed an intriguing group of people in Jewish culture.
[[Sorry for derailing the thread]]

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I hope I don't disappoint you Jay, but I have mentioned this in the context of Jesus by personal opinion.
a prime example of being at odds with the Rabbinate. for my friends, for example, would be in the institution of marriage. as the fully recognized marriage are determined by religious standards, now obviously for some of my friends who have married Austrian, Russian or Chinese women, it poses an issue which is overcomed through a demanding process by the standards of the Halacha. many secular Israelis are calling for a civil marriage inside Israel, as it is now, many Israeli couples travel abroad for a civil marriage.
now to touch early Christianity or rather Jesus in this context, its simply that today the 'official Judaism' at large is Rabbinical Judaism, on the other hand in first century Israel, there were several alternatives, Judaism was not monolithic (not that Jewish culture is hardly today), there were different recognized streams, and in this historical context, Jesus and the early [Jewish] Christians posed an intriguing group of people in Jewish culture.
[[Sorry for derailing the thread]]
Shalom.

Please forgive me if I note that I am rather well read on both 2nd Temple Period Judaism and historical Jesus 'research' (read "informed speculation"). I am also aware of the relative weight of Progressive Judaism in Israel. I just hope you [come to] appreciate the Reform/Progressive Judaism of the US and elsewhere. "Rabbinical Judaism" is far less monolithic than you seem to imply.