• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish Messiah

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Concerning Jews, specifically..

1) When and why did the hope for a Messiah begin?

2) What does the Messianic (Everlasting) Era mean for you, today?

3) In what chronological order do you place each of the Messianic prophecies?

4) How do you interpret each of the Messianic prophecies?

I understand there are those of you who may have a natural uneasiness with answering me or any of the other Christians here, specifically.. And vice verse. If you do, I'd still like your input; we don't necessarily have to debate anything.

Let yourself answer these questions as honestly as possible, using both real world examples, and whatever wisdom you've inherited. Use as many question marks as possible, if you'd like to debate or confirm ideas. Be concise, straightforward, and thorough.

Sleeppy

I think it's a false hope and have no messianic expectation.

If I may ask:

1) Have you ever had an individual interest in any of the Messianic prophecies?

2) What do you believe the consequences of such a hope will be? Or could be?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If I may ask:

1) Have you ever had an individual interest in any of the Messianic prophecies?

2) What do you believe the consequences of such a hope will be? Or could be?
  1. No.
  2. It very much depends: hope, be it false or not, can sustain or disappoint, or, for that matter, have no impact at all.

outhouse

Atheistically
Its my understanding the reconstruction of the temple is necessary, before any messiah can return.

But much of this comes from the NT.

What is Judaism's take?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I'm not going to be precise and thorough because I really don't have the time right now. but in brief...

We have had many messiahs, according to Torah/Tanakh, so it's really more of an ongoing process.

2)
What does the Messianic (Everlasting) Era mean for you, today?

If and when it happens, there shouldn't be much of a doubt that it's happening, so until then...

See above.

Since I don't necessarily believe in divine inspiration one way or another, and I since I don't believe in biblical inerrancy, I'll just say again "see above".

CMike

The jewish messiah really isn't about the jewish messiah.

It's more about time period.

During this time period there will be :

World peace
All nations will worship one G-D
All the jews will come to Israel and stay there
The temple in jerusalem will be rebuilt and stanf forever.

The messiah will be the jewish leader.

I think there is too much regarding the messiah per se, and to little about the era that will be part of the time of the messiah.

The messiah will not be divine being, just a jewish leader.

Sleeppy

I'm not going to be precise and thorough because I really don't have the time right now. but in brief...

We have had many messiahs, according to Torah/Tanakh, so it's really more of an ongoing process.

Was Moses considered a Messiah? Are you referring to the kings?

metis

Was Moses considered a Messiah? Are you referring to the kings?

My interpretation is that he would be a leader, but not necessarily a king, although it largely depends on how one views the word "anointed", whether that be more literal or figurative. In the light of the latter, I definitely would feel that Moshe was a messiah, but that's certainly only one interpretation.

metis

BTW, I know this can open up a can of worms with my friends, but if there is such a thing as a "messiah", I doubt very much that it is only us Jews that would have one or more.

Akivah

We don't really have a "hope" for the messiah, more of an expectation. And within Judaism, we are much more hopeful for the Messianic Age, than we are of the person of the messiah.

2) What does the Messianic (Everlasting) Era mean for you, today?
It means "Heaven on Earth" to me.

None. All I know is that all of the prophecies are "in-your-face" obvious. There will be no doubt that they are occuring. Once they all happen, the Messianic Age will commence.

1. There will be a rebuilt Temple in Jerusalem.
2. Humankind will turn their back on war and only peace will be on Earth.
3. All the Jewish people will return to Israel.
4. Everyone in the world will recognize the One G-d.

I understand there are those of you who may have a natural uneasiness with answering me or any of the other Christians here, specifically.. And vice verse. If you do, I'd still like your input; we don't necessarily have to debate anything.

Yes, because most Christians are unable to read our beliefs and just stop there. Typically, they eagerly jump forward to tell us how wrong we are and what our beliefs really mean. A common missionary tactic is to ask a question not to learn an answer, but as a way of presenting their own beliefs.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I first offer an examination of the Hebrew etymology of the word Messiah to understand its social context within ancient Judaism better.