• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish Atheism

Tellurian

Apparently some observant Jews follow the Jewish traditions but do not feel the need for any god. The following article indicates the percentage of Jews who are Atheists is quite high in the USA. I find it interesting that many non-Jews are accepting the existence of the Jewish god while many Jews no longer accept the existence of the Jewish god.

Atheist Jews: Judaism Without God

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
When asked "Do you believe in God?"
  • The theist responds: "Yes."
  • The atheist responds: "No."
But I rather prefer the response/attitude that I associate with Franz Rosenzweig ...
  • "Not yet."

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
So some Jews go to synagogue only on high holy days. No different then Catholics and other Christians who go to church on certain days. As for Catholics, there are some who go only for Christmas mass. And mass attendance is not like it used to be. When I go to mass, I can count all the people who look around my age (18-25) on one hand.

Its because of the time :shrug: people are becoming not so orthodox

Levite

Higher and Higher
I don't know if there are really all that many atheist Jews-- especially those who profess their identity as such-- but there are certainly some.

I have to say, I don't get it: it seems like a singularly ill-conceived philosophical venture, to me. But, whatever...I suppose it's better than apostasy.

I've met a few professed atheist Jews. Most of them had abysmal Jewish education: they were secular atheists who had married Jewish to please their grandmothers and attended the occasional seder or Shabbat meal at a relative's house, mostly out of abiding love for mama's chicken soup or bubbe's special kugel or some such. The couple I met who were well-educated, fluent in Hebrew, and had good exposure to both traditional and heterodox forms of Judaism were Israelis. They even kept some degree of kashrut, and went to synagogue on occasion, and observed some other commandments because they viewed those things as hallmarks of Jewish cultural identity. They are the only ones I've ever met that actually seem to make anything of the usually-atheist "culturally Jewish" label.

I still don't really approve of Jews being atheists, nor do I understand it, but I am willing to respect it as long as it is done with education and background, and some respect for the tradition is shown.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I have to say, I don't get it: it seems like a singularly ill-conceived philosophical venture, to me. But, whatever...I suppose it's better than apostasy.
Many in Israel see a Jewish identity drawn in different lines than religious or traditional ones. the Jewish people are historical people, a people who took part in collective political and social endeavours on a national level. Judaism has been the religious dimension of a Jewish nation or culture, perhaps in the same way that Shintoism has been for the Japanese nation.
in this regard, as Israelis we base our identity on aspects which are distinct to our experience. such as understanding modern Jewish history, participating in military service, etc. in this regard, in modern times Jewish identity has transformed from Torah studying to social activities.
I've met a few professed atheist Jews. Most of them had abysmal Jewish education: they were secular atheists who had married Jewish to please their grandmothers and attended the occasional seder or Shabbat meal at a relative's house, mostly out of abiding love for mama's chicken soup or bubbe's special kugel or some such. The couple I met who were well-educated, fluent in Hebrew, and had good exposure to both traditional and heterodox forms of Judaism were Israelis. They even kept some degree of kashrut, and went to synagogue on occasion, and observed some other commandments because they viewed those things as hallmarks of Jewish cultural identity. They are the only ones I've ever met that actually seem to make anything of the usually-atheist "culturally Jewish" label.
The Israeli experience forces you to hold some sort of Jewish identity, even if you are critical of it. in this regard secular Israelis who criticise the religious establishment in Israel, will show a coherent knowledge of Jewish teachings. sometime they would even display how the rabbinate in Israel distorts what are otherwise humane Jewish teachings.

I still don't really approve of Jews being atheists, nor do I understand it, but I am willing to respect it as long as it is done with education and background, and some respect for the tradition is shown.
I think it is on the same level that if I was born in India, I would not practice Hinduism, or if I was born in Sweden, like many other Swedes I would not practice Christianity.
I have a cultural interest in 'Jewishness', and I think that this is one of the greatest advantages Jewish society has in this regard that it goes beyond what many people in Europe experience today, it seems that they have a disconnect from historical Christianity in all its brands. while many secular Jews have an affinity to the Hebrew scriptures, to various Jewish teachings, customs, or philosophy.
I think that the success as I understand it of many American Jews to preserve a healthy Jewish identity has been in the way that through modern history they have developed a successful liberal experience, they are Jewish in faith and culture, but they have a solid social structure, they probably have a strong sense of community, and I think that unlike many Israelis who are frustrated by the way that the religious establishments have a hand in domestic politics, their experience has probably been largely positive and supportive.

arcanum

Many in Israel see a Jewish identity drawn in different lines than religious or traditional ones. the Jewish people are historical people, a people who took part in collective political and social endeavours on a national level. Judaism has been the religious dimension of a Jewish nation or culture, perhaps in the same way that Shintoism has been for the Japanese nation.
in this regard, as Israelis we base our identity on aspects which are distinct to our experience. such as understanding modern Jewish history, participating in military service, etc. in this regard, in modern times Jewish identity has transformed from Torah studying to social activities.

The Israeli experience forces you to hold some sort of Jewish identity, even if you are critical of it. in this regard secular Israelis who criticise the religious establishment in Israel, will show a coherent knowledge of Jewish teachings. sometime they would even display how the rabbinate in Israel distorts what are otherwise humane Jewish teachings.

I think it is on the same level that if I was born in India, I would not practice Hinduism, or if I was born in Sweden, like many other Swedes I would not practice Christianity.
I have a cultural interest in 'Jewishness', and I think that this is one of the greatest advantages Jewish society has in this regard that it goes beyond what many people in Europe experience today, it seems that they have a disconnect from historical Christianity in all its brands. while many secular Jews have an affinity to the Hebrew scriptures, to various Jewish teachings, customs, or philosophy.
I think that the success as I understand it of many American Jews to preserve a healthy Jewish identity has been in the way that through modern history they have developed a successful liberal experience, they are Jewish in faith and culture, but they have a solid social structure, they probably have a strong sense of community, and I think that unlike many Israelis who are frustrated by the way that the religious establishments have a hand in domestic politics, their experience has probably been largely positive and supportive.
If I may, as a non Jew, I would say the cultural identity of the Jew is stronger than the religious one. I say this from my personal experience with many jewish friends and acquaintances.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
it occurs to me that I can't think of a single Jew I personally know who is not an atheist.
Weird, eh?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I only know a handful well-enough to know their religious beliefs in any great detail. No atheists there, but at least two are probably best described as 'agnostic'.

Fromper

I know this thread is pretty old, but this atheist sub-forum is pretty inactive, so it's still on the first (and only) page of topics. As a former "secular Jew", I figured I'd toss in my 2 cents.

I grew up in an area that has more Jews than most of America, and most of us were not very religious. I went to Hebrew school at a reform synagogue with dozens of other kids my age, and had a Bar Mitzvah to satisfy my family, but I remember questioning whether any of the stories were real even as a kid. I never talked about it seriously with my family, but from the way everyone talked, I suspect most of my relatives kinda felt the same way. We all maintained the cultural traditions and celebrated the holidays, but very few members of our family were religious.

I didn't want to give up on my Jewish cultural identity for a long time. It wasn't until I was an adult in my 30s that I finally stopped calling myself Jewish and embraced the atheist label.

I really think anyone who just goes along with their family's religion, but doesn't really embrace it, should "come out" as an atheist eventually. Honesty is the best way to go, and there's still a lot of discrimination against atheists, so I really believe following the LGBT model is the best way to overcome that discrimination: "Come out" and show everyone that we can be good people without religion.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
I can't imagine any sort of other view of the science and engineering of the universe other than a Jewish atheist perspective. Any perspective based on faith detracts from the ability to understand reality.

Having said that, I am a theist, reform Jew, because of my ethical and moral beliefs about how wo/man behaves toward wo/man and how wo/man behaves toward his/her environment

Fromper, I think you and I have a lot in common. Shall we run up a few threads in the Jewish DIR ? We love Jewish atheists over there. :D

I know this thread is pretty old, but this atheist sub-forum is pretty inactive, so it's still on the first (and only) page of topics. As a former "secular Jew", I figured I'd toss in my 2 cents.

I grew up in an area that has more Jews than most of America, and most of us were not very religious. I went to Hebrew school at a reform synagogue with dozens of other kids my age, and had a Bar Mitzvah to satisfy my family, but I remember questioning whether any of the stories were real even as a kid. I never talked about it seriously with my family, but from the way everyone talked, I suspect most of my relatives kinda felt the same way. We all maintained the cultural traditions and celebrated the holidays, but very few members of our family were religious.

I didn't want to give up on my Jewish cultural identity for a long time. It wasn't until I was an adult in my 30s that I finally stopped calling myself Jewish and embraced the atheist label.

I really think anyone who just goes along with their family's religion, but doesn't really embrace it, should "come out" as an atheist eventually. Honesty is the best way to go, and there's still a lot of discrimination against atheists, so I really believe following the LGBT model is the best way to overcome that discrimination: "Come out" and show everyone that we can be good people without religion.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
This post speaks to me ;). Any thoughts Fromper ?

I don't know if there are really all that many atheist Jews-- especially those who profess their identity as such-- but there are certainly some.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I guess I will never understand how come there are people who disapprove of atheism. They might as well disapprove of people's hair color.